Redesign Government Center

This was a proposal that never actually happened. Nothing to undo.

Really? I wasn't there at the time, but those photos look genuine, and I first heard about it from this article:
The square has morphed in shape and appearance over time since it was created in 1883 out of what was then known as “Art Square.” A much-ballyhooed design contest in the 1960s — coincidentally also won by Sasaki — eventually was a bust: Copley was squared off and sunk below the street, becoming a vast expanse of concrete that failed to live up to its potential. Then, in the 1980s, came a chance at redemption: Copley was brought back up to street level, with more trees and grass.

Here's an aerial shot from 1969 (Photo credit):
6248229_orig.jpg

and in 1976 (Photo credit):
8636638833_56050535d4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Really? I wasn't there at the time, but those photos look genuine, and I first heard about it from this article:

You're right, I am wrong. I've only ever seen Copley go from the days when it was mostly streets to the more modern incantation and didn't realize there was a short lived concrete jungle.

You're right, I am wrong. I've only ever seen Copley go from the days when it was mostly streets to the more modern incantation and didn't realize there was a short lived concrete jungle.
The concrete jungle version was a huge mistake (and pretty quickly recognized as such, although it took 2 decades to remedy).

Back