Redevelopment of Cohen Wing Block (Symphony Hall) | 263-289 Huntington Ave | Fenway

reverend_paco

Reaction score
Mods, feel free to move, delete, etc.

Didn't see any thread appropriate for this, but there is some early word that the Symphony's board might be looking to do something with all the property they own right near Mass Ave and Huntington.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-...ting-its-underutilized-land/2518527768208669/

Juicy quotes:
The Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is eyeing a large scale redevelopment project that could transform the face of Huntington Avenue.
The BSO is looking into building a large complex with Symphony Hall as an anchor, according to members of the orchestra’s Board of Advisors. The redevelopment project, still in preliminary stages, could replace a stretch of old low-rise retail buildings that line Huntington Ave near Symphony Hall.
BSO leaders have not formalized or officially unveiled plans for the neighborhood, but the organization’s Board of Advisors discussed preliminary ideas with BSO staff and with acclaimed architect Elizabeth Diller, two board members said.

This would be quite a change for this intersection, as the Huntington Theater project tower (directly across the street) is supposed to start construction any day now, and the Midtown Hotel property is slated to be developed by National Development.

Man, I love that row of early 20th century 2-story commercial buildings along Huntington. I hope their facade is preserved and incorporated into any new development there.

Why don't these a$$holes redevelop Symphony Plaza East and West first?

There should be a rule that, before any pieces of urbanism / architecture that actually cause people to like being where they are, are demolished, every failed modernist structure that causes people to want to be somewhere else must first be redeveloped.

A bit like the mother who, seeing her child approaching a pristine wall with crayon in hand, redirects the child to the bescribbled wall in the other room that the child already drew all over.

Alas, this stretch of Huntington is more likely to transmogrify into an incoherent dystopian mess of disparate replicas of Symphony Plaza surrounding Symphony Hall.

There should be a rule that, before any pieces of urbanism / architecture that actually cause people to like being where they are, are demolished, every failed modernist structure that causes people to want to be somewhere else must first be redeveloped.

A bit like the mother who, seeing her child approaching a pristine wall with crayon in hand, redirects the child to the bescribbled wall in the other room that the child already drew all over.

Alas, this stretch of Huntington is more likely to transmogrify into an incoherent dystopian mess of disparate replicas of Symphony Plaza surrounding Symphony Hall.
The Boston Symphony Orchestra (who you are calling assholes) doesn't own Symphony Plaza East & West.

Property ownership aside, I agree with Itchy. The urban renewal/Soviet monstrosity around the corner on Mass Ave will stand, yet this masterpiece of early 20th century building will be torn down? The logic on that one totally escapes me. Does everything have to be dictated by $$$$?

How about folks tone the vitriol down a bit until there's some plans. You're already all frothing at the mouth without even seeing what the plans are.

Elizabeth Diller is a promising designer. Not sure if you'll get facade preservation because that's not really their forte, but you'll get something interesting and valuable.

Symphony Towers provides much needed subsidized housing. They could put a new skin on the buildings and greatly improve their appearance.

Am I the only one reading this as Symphony Hall itself is going to be left alone?

could replace a stretch of old low-rise retail buildings that line Huntington Ave near Symphony Hall

building a large complex with Symphony Hall as an anchor

Well yeah. Of course no one is touching Symphony Hall. It's the commercial buildings adjacent to the Hall that we are discussing.

It looks like the 2 story stretch of retail which includes the UPS Store. I have no idea how old that structure is. However, is there any part of it which would be considered a masterpiece?

The only buildings worth saving are the masterpieces was the mindset of 50's and 60's urban renewal folks.

Fair point but nobody is destroying buildings these days to reinvigorate neighborhoods theyre doing to make more money ie add density

As a point of reference this isthe structure being talked about.

My vote is to keep the beautiful masonry parts of the facade, but replace the current windows which are not period anyway and revert back to a period-appropriate window. Then build whatever expansion behind it...something like what's been done various points on Comm., ideally with a setback so from street level you barely notice it like this (note: the modern addition in the linked example is shit; I'm just referring to the scheme).

Simple as this example may seem, I agree we don't want to keep losing period facades like this. It erodes away at what makes Boston Boston.

Yep. A facadectomy would be perfect here.

It won't happen, but it would be perfect.

Is this stretch really worth saving? As a former resident of that area (back when Burger King was in the Panera spot), I never found it to be very architecturally appealing. It feels as the the white stone bits are all that is left after decades of fiddling by the owners (i.e., the now dated brown glass, etc.) It is also full of disposable stores that no one will miss.

Am I being harsh?

Back