Regional New England Rail (Amtrak & State DOT & NEC)

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
So this is even faster then the planned 160 mph? They would have had to reach 170 mph testing to do this right? I thought they only got it up to 166.8 mph.
The A1's were once clocked at a one-time high of 173 MPH in pure testing mode (i.e. overnight when tracks are empty and no crews were out, because it's cheating against the signal system). I would imagine the Aveilas have done similar in their signal-override tests tests, whether there was somebody standing on a platform with a radar gun to witness it or no.

Doesn't really matter for revenue service. The cab signals cap it at 165 in the top speed zone and assess a braking penalty if the limit's exceeded. 165 will be the observed speed limit for the new equipment, not 160. They've already done dozens of qualifying reps at that speed.

Last edited:

Jahvon09

Reaction score
Amtrak can't seem to afford the new trackway that would be set aside mainly for the Acela, along with regular NEC service. Along with the Acela, The Sprinters could also benefit from using slightly higher speeds to get to Washington a little bit sooner.

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Amtrak can't seem to afford the new trackway that would be set aside mainly for the Acela, along with regular NEC service. Along with the Acela, The Sprinters could also benefit from using slightly higher speeds to get to Washington a little bit sooner.
Um, did I miss the proposal of a new corridor line? Or did I take a wrong turn at the forum index and wind up in Crazy Transit Pitches???

Stlin

Reaction score
Um, did I miss the proposal of a new corridor line? Or did I take a wrong turn at the forum index and wind up in Crazy Transit Pitches???
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the ACS-64, aka the "Amtrak Cities Sprinter," itself derived from the EuroSprinter, aka the locomotive model that hauls Keystones and Regionals.

If not, I'm equally lost.

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the ACS-64, aka the "Amtrak Cities Sprinter," itself derived from the EuroSprinter, aka the locomotive model that hauls Keystones and Regionals.

If not, I'm equally lost.
I blanked on the Sprinter reference until I remembered the full unwieldy designation of the ACS-64s, so I'm still good and lost.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of Regional Rail, wasn’t there supo to be an NEC coalition of states that were going to raise like a penny per gallon fuel tax? This would seem to be a good time to start straightening curves and improving station access.