Regional Rail (RUR) & North-South Rail Link (NSRL)

I'm not sure how possible reprofiling the Franklin Line to begin its incline after is but leveling the platform to be alongside the main NEC as well as double tracking/platforms would better facilitate transfers with regional rail and there could be a center island between NEC #3 and what would be Franklin Branch #2.
If you're willing to accept a flat junction and lefthand running for local trains, relatively easy actually. Two island platforms at Readville, roughly in the current location, with the tracks from West to East being:

Franklin & Providence Local Inbound | Franklin and Providence local outbound | Providence Express Outbound | Providence Express Outbound

You'd likely want a crossover somewhere on the Franklin Line to get things the right way around, but the gradient would be super easy since the Franklin line has almost a mile to decent to level of the NEC. This sets up a quad-tracking all the way to Forest Hills, with a rebuilt Hyde Park serving only the local tracks, and a new infill station at Cummins Hwy also only serving local trains.
but I was also thinking about a rebuilt Quincy Adams with 3 tracks 2 platforms for regional rail via realigning Burgin Parkway a little and shifting over the Red Line tracks in the ROW south though I don't know what's the plan with the former Lowe's lot.
If Quincy really doesn't want to play ball with a widening of the OC trunk, then this would be an option. That being said, it certainly seems like you could do a similar thing at Braintree, and if we're picking one station to rebuilt garage-less, I think Braintree is the better choice.

Back