Renovations at One Broadway - Kendall

stellarfun

Reaction score
One Broadway Cambridge

How far they will take this, I have no idea, but the concrete top will look even more out of place. The third picture shows the parking garage.

P1040238.jpg

P1040237.jpg

P1040242.jpg

Did Sloan mimic One Broadway, or vice versa?

P1040243.jpg

Last edited:
Re: One Broadway Cambridge

This is such an unsatisfactory area. They keep adding to it, but it never really improves.

..i'd have to disagree ablarc. DESPITE the hideous architecture of large block development, I notice at least an honest attempt to reorient life towards the street. One can actually walk from the Kendall Square T all the way to Tech Square and have numerous options for lunch today, whereas just 6 or so years ago, all you had was the food court... There's still too many large parking garages and too many front lawns, but at least the new developments are trying to change that. About average for new American urban develpments i'd say. Not great. But it is 'improving'...

^ Glad to hear it --even if the praise is faint.

Is there another thread about this? One Broadway in Kendall has for the past several months been going through recladding the lower level, and general renovations of the sidewalk. I've never liked this building a lot, but I do think that the renovations make it more generic. Not a whole lot of character here. These are photos from about about a month ago - they're doing a lot of work on the sidewalk these days.

3022357796_f8b1f55de7_b.jpg

3021526585_74057d084c_b.jpg

3021526879_be1732f024_b.jpg

3022358532_6a39f0a724_b.jpg

3022358696_fa2b65642c_b.jpg

3022358856_3d9581e86c_b.jpg

I didn't think it was possible to make that building any uglier but they have totally succeed. Who the F let that happen?

I miss the original exterior more and more each day. I'm hoping that part of the plan is to get that globe fountain across the way working again.

what on earth? I'd love to see how this looked in renderings, because I can't imagine this is what anyone wanted...

The original proposal showed two high rises, one at each end.

what on earth? I'd love to see how this looked in renderings, because I can't imagine this is what anyone wanted...

There's an incredibly ugly rendering in the lobby of One Broadway - I wasn't able to find it online. The architecture firm behind it is Spagnolo Gisness & Assoc.

http://www.sga-arch.com/

I don't know why, but I really like it...the parking garage part I mean...what am I saying? Well, for one thing it will make any other new developments around it look a lot better.

Wow. I'd say lipstick on a pig but that would be giving too much credit. That is fugly.

Wait.. are you guys saying Alucobond doesn't make everything better??

I'll be thrilled the day Alucobond isn't mandatory for new buildings, or renovations of existing structures.

Back