Renovations to BPL's Johnson Wing | Back Bay

We'll have to leave it at that? Data, since I had a few comments deleted (none of which were offensive) I do think the right thing to do would have at least dropped me a note and asked my thoughts about it.

It was all wildly off-topic and would have continued to spin the thread, which should be celebrating the BPL, out of control. Additionally, I'm not a mod so I wasn't the one that deleted it. I merely reported the fact that the thread was off-topic. You'll have to take that up with the admins/mods, not me.

Anyone else check out the BPL lately?

^^^^^^^

I'll add a Tito's and tonic with a lime to that mix! Cheers!

It was all wildly off-topic and would have continued to spin the thread, which should be celebrating the BPL, out of control. Additionally, I'm not a mod so I wasn't the one that deleted it. I merely reported the fact that the thread was off-topic. You'll have to take that up with the admins/mods, not me.

Anyone else check out the BPL lately?

Datadyne -- I had the dubious pleasure of driving past on Boylston today -- and thanks to the stop & go traffic [mostly stop] -- I had about a minute to looks at the re-created Johnson Building from the middle of the street. It looks very very different -- and far more inviting -- and it also looked like it is generated a lot of attention from pedestrians. Hopefully, i will get to see the inside from the inside in the next few weeks

Unusual spots hanging over the sidewalk among the trees. Very different, very cool. Gonna be a nice touch at night.

Exactly, it can be fixed, improved. We have the design/architectural power to do that. We just need the will.

Yes.

Hopefully people can be convinced (because it is the reality) that the current Boston City Hall can be renovated in a similar way much more economically and with a better result than new construction.

Anyone who thinks City Hall should be torn down needs to see this.

Agreed. Like it or not - and reasonable minds can disagree - it's a part of Boston now, and it tells a pretty interesting story about a period in our civic history. Not all our history has to be centuries old - or of a certain style. Let's improve it and add to the story. I worry how eager some are to tear things down.

Im torn on this one. I was sitting in city hall plaza yesterday and I was just staring at it and thinking god damn thats ugly but damn this thing is Boston. I really think it would be weird to not see it there anymore, but if the street grid was knit back together it would be great. I kind of feel at this point we should keep it unless we had some masterpiece proposal with a knit grid and most of the parcels developed. In reality wed probably get the fbi building in chelsea.

Edit: didnt even kno what thread I was in, the library looks amazing.

In the first photo BeeLine posted, there is some sort of barrier. What is it? Is it permanent? YES.

It's a name plate for the building. "Boston Public Library Copley Branch, etc."

In the first photo BeeLine posted (thank you for all the photos Bee!), there is some sort of barrier. What is it (maybe to block a car from smashing into the front of the building)? Is it permanent? If so, seems like bollards would have been as effective but easier to navigate and better looking.
It says "free to all" in the 15 most popularly spoken languages in Boston.

So are the tallish steel things bollards/light-polls of some kind? Can all bollards be dual purpose from now on?

Yes they are. They can also be removed for the Marathon seating.

As someone who uses this building every day, I can say that it is almost an 100% success. The community table is not powered yet. The only thing wrong so far that I can see is the front doors. They don't work correctly, and are consistently down for servicing and/or repair. Although I like the design/look of the doors, automatic doors which are constantly opening and closing are a major waste of energy. They are constantly blowing cold air out at the moment, and god only knows what will happen in the winter. Revolving doors would of been a MUCH better choice.

Back