Rose Kennedy Greenway

But I dont want the Greenway to flourish.

I want it to be ripped up and have the city reconnected to the waterfront without the unnatural barrier that the Greenway will and has become.

At what point can we rip up the poorly sodded grass and knit the city back together?

The park DOES NOT WORK.
No city to knit together. The harbor side of the Greenway is one building lot wide. As Gertrude Stein said once of Oakland, "There is no there there."

Tell that to the North End.

And not that it would have ever realistically happened in this the age of the superblock, but you could fit a whole Blackstone Block of small buildings and meandering alleys into each one of those parcels.

After costing the taxpayers 20 billion for entire big dig which has lead us to the greenway (a small strip of green grass and flowers cutting through Boston.) The mayor and city officials now will determine what is built in these spaces. Tell me what is wrong with this picture?

The only reason the mayor gets elected every year is because most of the residents of Boston work in City Hall, everybody else is just a tourist or going to school.

Too much corruption in City Hall to get anything positive done.

Singing the same song.

And if I hear anyone else complain that the Big Dig was a waste of money, I'll be very disappointed in their intelligence. It wasn't a waste, we've now got prime development space rather than a rotting elevated highway/space waster. And personally, I think a park isn't all the way bad.

Singing the same song.

And if I hear anyone else complain that the Big Dig was a waste of money, I'll be very disappointed in their intelligence. It wasn't a waste, we've now got prime development space rather than a rotting elevated highway/space waster. And personally, I think a park isn't all the way bad.

It was a great idea for 100-250million dollars not 20 Billion.

Still worth it.

For that type of money back then we should be living in space and colonizing other planets.

20 Billion was alot of money back when this project started in the 80's.
That?s what we get with our political morons running things.
Which leads to more Taxes.

Tell that to the North End.

And not that it would have ever realistically happened in this the age of the superblock, but you could fit a whole Blackstone Block of small buildings and meandering alleys into each one of those parcels.

And what is the North End getting along Causeway St and Valenti Way: superblocks. And south of the superblocks, a genocide memorial, a museum of a yet-to-be-revealed re-design, and a community center. And a small pergola park.

IMO, when India Wharf was demolished and Harbor Towers constructed, that ended the ability to seamlessly stitch downtown with the water's edge.

India Wharf (by Bulfinch)
prod_1512.jpg

The Harbor Towers are the abominations behind the Garden, right? Then...how were they a wharf?

That photo of India Wharf sure looks like a 'superblock' to me.

The oldest superblocks in the area are the Quincy Market, North Market, and South Market buildings.

Oh but Ron, they're old and therefore, are automatically examples of good urbanism.

Would that every superblock were so narrow and brimming with life.

Sadly, they do fail in one respect: their backs are turned on surrounding streets.

Would that every superblock were so narrow and brimming with life.

erm...are you trying to say "if only every old superblock such as india wharf was so narrow and brimming with life." ?

cz, youve really got a knack for using your grasp of english to confuddle my head into a puddle. if your going to use fancy grammar, do me a favor and throw some SAT words in, huh?

Sorry, I should have specified. I was talking about the Quincy Market buildings that Ron referenced.

Also, I thought "would that every were" was common usage...no?

could be...i mean, ive read it in old books and plays, but never heard someone use it in conversation unless they were very old and reminiscing, or trying to be dramatic. im pretty sure the "if only...were" has basically taken its place in our modern language trend of shortening and simplifying as much as possible. u no wt i sayn?

Back