Rose Kennedy Greenway

Sadly, this is my favourite thing to pop up on the Greenway so far.

Oh, come on now, the light-blades have to top that list.

Little sculptures that look like Star Wars robots, and also light blades; I sense a Star Wars theme running through the RKG.

Those look like rejects from a Forbidden Planet set. Where's Mags Harries when you need her?

is forbidden planet that weird jim henson movie thing?

those things look great at night and they spray water

2916783087_c4dce0cc58.jpg

What happened to making this a World Class park?

Every time I open this thread I am confronted with a cheap looking, gaudy/tacky feeble attempt at dressing up this barren waste land.

Where are the structures that will provide incentive for anyone to actually visit this park? Are there any plans to develop any gathering places that are practicle and will incent people to walk on the acres of paths-to-nowhere? Is this park actually uniting us with the waterfront or creating a weird barrier that no one wants to cross?

Ugh. I'm so frustrated with the Greenway and the lack of vision. I don?t have any real solutions to offer, but figured I could vent here.

Thanks for listening!

Edit: Those things spraying water say 'disney' way more than they say 'world class'

Those are absolutely, completely the most horrid looking things I've ever seen. I have a feeling they went to Homegoods to buy them. Why not get all those starving artists getting free storefronts in DTX to make some sculptures as a display for their art-a running exhibition.

Wow! Disney sure has changed since I was last there in '84!

Does anyone know if there are any plans to add a skating rink? Seems to me it would be a no-brainer to install one and have open skating and maybe even some kind of embankment that would permit a few spectators? Maybe have a city-outdoor classic between high schools and/or college teams? I mean, out of towners would love to see hockey played outdoors in Boston. It's new-englandy type of thing that could be a draw.....

Montreal and even Reston, VA have done similar things with varying success.

huh, had an idea afterall! :)

I still think a street tram that i mentioned three years ago going down rkg would be great. It doesn't have to go on the rkg. It could be those trackless trolley going down the road on both side.

I think it should be a canal. That connects to Fort Point, which is dug around all of SBW. And connected to the Charles on the other end. A first for American urbanism, Boston could be on the leading edge. Seriously, Canal St. could be a legit canal.

It was a legit canal. Then it got filled with trash. If Lowell can't make something out of their canals why would Boston want to build a new one?

The Lowell canals are trashy and can't handle boats, and they're not on the ocean.

There are some serious plans for the Mass Hort parcels and Dewey Square. Stay tuned...

Whose plans are they? Mass Hort is in dire financial straits. They cancelled next year's spring flower show.

I'm surpried Moshe Safdie's Boston Museum never got built.

The group in charge of that parcel/museum fired Safdie for that design.....

Good. Modernist architects will see the Greenway as a place to set their works apart from the city but this is, IMHO, the wrong approach. The Greenway needs to connect the city and building crazy ship-shaped buildings is not the way to do that.

The crazy ship-shaped building was, IMO, the most innovative, inspired, and imaginative (oo, alliteration) thing to be proposed in Boston since...I've followed what's been proposed in Boston.

Back