Rose Kennedy Greenway

I got a few shots of the colors today, which I'm uploading to the computer as I type. I also covered everything from Longwood to downtown (but no north station stuff), so stay tuned for a big update tonight or tomorrow.

10/31:

img1413zh3.jpg

img1412nn5.jpg

img1414uy1.jpg

I thought that was Post Office Sq at first, too nice to be the Greenway. I guess that's a compliment.

I think I've seen that landscaping before. They must be using the same guys who do the McMansions in Weston.

I think I've seen that landscaping before. They must be using the same guys who do the McMansions in Weston.

I'd prefer it looks 'trendy lux' than 'median' as long as it's emulating the 'best' of suburbia rather than 'cheap.'

Yup. Downtown Boston - the best suburbia has to offer.

So what would you like to see planted there? Keep in mind these are shots of the temporary Mass Hort gardens.

Honestly, I don't know why it can't look like any other park. There aren't fake-looking beds like that in Boston Common.

Even this greatly reduced effort from MassHort was apparently expensive enough to sink the organization's finances and kill next year's Spring Flower Show. This interrupts an annual Boston tradition going back over a century.

I'm actually beginning to think burying the highway was a waste of money.

This is my opinion so it may not be entirely accurate:

The Gardner Museum was run by old line Bostonians and their money. The problem was their money was tied up in trust funds and they probably weren't getting much cash from the funds anyway. The board was moribund and cheap, hence the museum was a mess, no climate control, bad security system. They could only afford to hirer college kinds who got high there, leading to the break in. The breakin was the catalyst for a revived museum. People with money and drive were invited to join the board and I would bet some of the dead weight was removed. I think a lot of the old board were descendants of descendants of people picked by Mrs Gardner herself.

My guess is that the same thing has put the Horticultural society in the same position. If the leadership is not there then it may go out of business or become a much less ambitious organization. I expect that they will find a way to recover. Didn't both the Aquarium and Zoo both recently loose their accreditations? On the other hand the Computer Museum and the Immigration Museum have both closed. Only the Horticultural Society can be blamed for their situation.

If somebody had some foresight...

img62671024x768wk6.jpg

...maybe this drink coaster would have been a better impetus for a unifying theme. :p

Back