Rose Kennedy Greenway

The pine tree idea is nice (although you could probably hybridize a palm tree that could take it). Much as I love the above scene, and the post apocalyptic vision, you would probably end up with some banal "backyard" pvc style water feature like the thing in the Chinatown park. Naturalism is the hardest design of all.

Frederick Law Olmsted is not walking through that door, fans. Charles Bulfinch is not walking through that door, and Alexander Parris is not walking through that door.
I wish we could buy the world. We can't; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that's in this town sucks. It makes the greatest town, greatest city in the world, lousy.

Naturalism is the hardest design of all.

Clearly, because those meandering paths basically are an attempt at naturalism.

Dear Conservancy People:

NO ONE wants to watch a movie here.
We have Frog Pond for ice skating.
Stage? Maybe a small, discrete one.
Welcome center? Seriously?
Cafe? How about 20?

People watch movies outdoors at the Common, Hatch Shell, and Rowes Wharf, as well as various parks in Cambridge and Somerville. So I don't agree that "nobody wants to watch a movie here".

Well, isn't that the point? Why stage screenings here when the setting is more spectacular at neighboring Rowes Wharf or the nearby Hatch Shell, and the seating far more spacious at the Common?

So much for the new and improved Scottie. :(

Give Him A ?Green? Greenway In Boston
Van Voorhis Doesn?t Need ?A Bunch Of Museums? Over Big Dig

By Scott Van Voorhis

Banker & Tradesman Columnist

05/11/09

Maybe it?s time to make the new Rose Kennedy Greenway truly ?green.?

It never made much sense to me why we spent years building a ribbon of parks through the heart of downtown Boston over the city?s new, underground highway system, only to try and fill it up with a bunch of museums and a YMCA.

Apparently, some nice simple greenery and some pretty benches just won?t cut it in our world-class city.

But the recession may accomplish what skeptics like me never could, casting a deep pall over extravagant plans to raise hundreds of millions for a trio of nonprofit palaces.

The New Center for Arts and Culture, envisioned as a $100 million jewel astride the Greenway outside Rowe?s Wharf, has just called a two-year halt to its fund-raising efforts.

Meanwhile, the Boston Museum, after spending years talking up plans to build on the Greenway, is now pushing to build on an adjacent site in a bid to cut its construction costs. But it has left unexplained how it plans to raise the staggering $120 million needed to add yet another historic attraction to the Hub amid the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

I probably have the most sympathy for the YMCA of Greater Boston, which hopes to build a new flagship complex over a set of highway ramps on the Greenway near the North End.

But the Y, which has also been crafting its plans for years now, also still needs to raise tens of millions to pay for its building plans.

Of course, the backers of all these projects have been at it for years and were already struggling during the boom years, an era of easy money, to raise the cash they needed. Really, to me, the big question is not whether these grand plans are doomed, but whether or not they linger on in a typically Boston half life, not really alive but not officially dead either.

Not Getting Off The Ground

All three projects face a ?double whammy? as one top Hub expert on financing projects recently told me.

The wealthy donors who typically foot the bill for such projects are reeling from devastating stock market losses. Meanwhile, the banks, which in better times liked to provide loans for such high-profile cultural endeavors, have no appetite to bankroll anything with the slightest risk to it.

?I think it?s extremely difficult to realize, in this climate, how expensive nonprofit initiatives, however well meaning, can get off the ground,? the veteran finance executive told me. ?The kind of giving that occurred in the past, at least for a number of years, is not going to realized again.?

Probably the most surprising are the struggles the proposed New Center for Arts and Culture is now having.

The proposed arts castle, designed by a top international architect Daniel Libeskind, has been backed by some of Boston?s richest real estate developers.

Back during the boom, the project boasted commitments of $30 million and appeared to have the best shot of becoming a reality of any of the Greenway building proposals.

No more. The group recently laid off a staff member and is calling it quits on any more fund raising for the next two years.

The acting director, Francine Achbar, acknowledged it could be 2014 before the museum finally opens ? not 2012, as previously planned.

That sounds pretty optimistic to me, but let?s give Achbar her say here.

?The long and short of it is this is not a time to be trying to raise many millions of dollars for a building campaign,? Achbar said. ?Nobody is building, you know that. If Harvard University, which has the biggest endowment in the world, has stopped all their work, how can a little nonprofit that has been operating for five or six years??

Yet the New Center for Arts and Culture?s challenges, in my view, are dwarfed by those of the proposed Boston Museum, which would chronicle the city?s history.

Never mind the debate over whether a city already packed with historic attractions needs yet another monument to past glory.

At least the arts center has a site to build on. The museum is competing for a site by the Greenway near Government Center that was just put out to bid by the Turnpike Authority.

Provided it can win that competition, it too will then have to start the long and daunting task of raising tens of millions of dollars.

Meanwhile, the YMCA of Greater Boston contends it is still pushing ahead with its plans to build a flagship complex of its own alongside the Greenway.

The timeline here is not encouraging. The nonprofit was already struggling back in 2005, when it temporarily dropped its proposal after the estimated cost skyrocketed to nearly $70 million.

The Y has since come back with a significantly smaller proposal, but there?s still no sign of any imminent groundbreaking.

?Raising money is always huge,? said Kelly Rice, YMCA?s spokeswoman. ?I think the important part in this environment is that you have to keep asking. Some folks are saying we are very interested in the project, but we have to wait until the markets improve until we make a commitment.

?You have to keep moving forward, even in a tighter economy,? she added.

Apparently it?s not an option for any of these ambitious nonprofit builders to face the facts of the current economy and call it a day.

There?s no exit strategy here, at least one they are willing to talk about publicly.

But the rationale for putting up big institutions over or alongside the Boston?s new Greenway, always sketchy to me, may be losing whatever tenuous logic it once had.

When plans for the Greenway were being shaped back in the 1990s, planners were fearful the new downtown parks would wind up beautiful but empty. After all, downtown Boston quickly emptied those days at 5 p.m.

Museums and cultural attractions were needed to draw crowds to the new parks, or so went the argument.

But in the decade or so since, a funny thing happened: Downtown suddenly became the place to live, with posh new condo projects popping up on every other block.

Suddenly, the parks have a built in audience, and the need to draw crowds downtown seems increasingly like a concern of another era.

But if the proponents of these projects won?t reconsider whether they are still needed or even feasible, don?t look for our courageous public sector leaders to supply the missing spine here.

The danger is that even if these projects never get built, they linger on for years, drawing attention and badly needed money from the parks themselves.

But in the decade or so since, a funny thing happened: Downtown suddenly became the place to live, with posh new condo projects popping up on every other block.

Suddenly, the parks have a built in audience, and the need to draw crowds downtown seems increasingly like a concern of another era.

Right, this is why Franklin and Federal Streets are bustling out of control on Sunday mornings, and the streets are chockablock with grocery stores.

Apparently, some nice simple greenery and some pretty benches just won?t cut it in our world-class city.

Imagine some columnist in 19c Boston telling this to Olmstead. There would not be an Emerald Necklace as we know it.

In sum, no, no it won't cut it. Boston will not be a venue for lowest-common-denominator urbanism or landscape architecture. The fact that it has become so is evidence of how far down into the depths it has been dragged from its heyday.

It's clear from Scottie's know-it-all weigh-in that pendulum of city planning here has swung way too far toward democracy - with devastating results. The whole purpose of "planning" is to avert just the sort of nonsense that evolves from DIY architecture. I want to see a junta council of Europe's best architects dictating every physical intervention this city makes from now on, otherwise we will wind up with parks that look like "simple greenery with pretty benches," greenspace designed by the everyman, like the backyard of a Canton trailer park.

The Greenway and runamok NIMBYism are democratic city planning's West End. It is time for a new paradigm.

There, I said it.

While I agree that Boston already has enough "history", I do see some merit in having a Boston Museum or something similar. It would complement (not "compliment") other museums and points of interest. I would like to see it on the Greenway, as long as it raised its money privately and ran independently of the city.

(The MFA, remember, doesn't receive any city funds ...)

As silly as it sounds, I still think a roller coaster along the entirety of the Greenway would be a great idea. It would be something unique to any city of the world. Provide entertainment to tourists, residents, pedestrians, etc. Such a venue would restore the views of the city which existed on the elevated freeway and the old Atlantic Avenue El to be realized again.

How about a tram from North Station to South Station?

2809421811_d470a49502.jpg

As silly as it sounds, I still think a roller coaster along the entirety of the Greenway would be a great idea.

Love it. It really could provide us with that link between North and South Station.

Yes, it does sound a bit silly.....BUT, it also sounds delightful. If there's anything Boston lacks, it's a true sense of the whimsical, and this idea would fill the bill. I'm all for it.

For true whimsy, they should consider implementing a silly-hats-only policy across the entirety of the Greenway.

cimg1282.jpg

When you get right down to it the real problem with the Greenway is one of leadership. There has been no driving force to take charge and make the Greenway into what it needs to be, a way to knit the city back together. It was, after all, an after thought. Originally there was just going to be a surface artery. Then you had all these players came together and "act" like they were trying to build a better city when in reality they were only thinking of themselves (when they should have been thinking of how to get funding).

There was no overall design that was created, or the ones that were suggested were dismissed by the reverse vampire-open space nuts. Now the whole thing is going nowhere because there was no one to get the herd to move in the same direction.

It's not like this is a Boston problem, rather it stems from the way we've decided to build cities in the last decade. Take the rebuilding of Ground Zero. You think the Greenway is a mess? At least we have something to show for it.

I'm not saying we need another Robert Moses or Ed Louge, but we need leadership. The leaders we have now have been in power too long or lack the vision or political chops to get the right things done. Menino, despite his criticism, has done a lot of good for the city, which is much better off than it was when he took over (decline in crime, many new buildings, growing population, etc). But we need fresh blood, we need someone who can use the Greenway as a tool not just for political gain but for actual urban growth and rejuvenation. I've always said the Greenway, even in it's current "highway median" state still has vast potential. We just need someone who can see it and use it.

I don't think you can blame the Greenway Conservancy since they have barely been in charge. I would think the Turnpike Authority should get all the blame. I get tired of all this griping about the greenway when no one really knows what is going on so I wrote the Greenway and this is the response:

In answer to your question about our plans to provide shade on the Greenway:

The Planning & Design Staff at the Conservancy is about to undertake a feasibility study that will get our arms around the idea of providing shade in conjunction with both programmed and non-programmed uses on the Greenway for areas that have been deemed critical.

The study will examine the areas under question in terms of circulation, areas of rest and local activity. It will determine scope of areas to be shaded, and come up with likely forms of canopy cover that will be appropriate for each area. The designs will be run through other filters: buildability, seasonal questions, maintainability, not to mention staging in a way that the parks remain as usable as possible while under construction. In addition, we will be coming up with a budget cost for each project. An actual construction program will have to tailored to the funds that become available as well as our ability to get our proposals approved through the various agencies and community groups.

There are three areas that have been targeted as critical to address:

-the pergola in the North End Park, which may be augmented to provide shade

-the raise platform in the Wharf District Park, which has the ability to be used for small scale performances, among other uses

-the large open plaza at Chinatown Park (or some portion thereof) in order to support the social activities that go on there now and for possible future uses

I hope this gives you a good basic idea of what we are up to.

There is no way I would support a tram anywhere on the Greenway! We know what would happen next!

spidey_tram.jpg

It is a great idea, but no one would use it. There's really no reason or purpose to it.

Back