Rose Kennedy Greenway

If a few drunks get run over, there are two possibilities:

1. City closes bars.

2. City lowers speed limit/lanes on Surface Road (would it be so goddamn difficult to think of an actual name for it?)

Knowing this city, they would close the bars.

The city motto should actually be "cahs befoah bahs". It encapsulates everything that's wrong with it.

They could at least just add an additional layer of brick onto the building.

I think they were going for a look like this...

londonwall.jpg

...and completely missed.

The parks sure do look out of place but I like the colors.

I've always wondered why they positioned the tree pits to take up 2/3 of the sidewalk width like they did.

I think these parks are slated for development?

I have a feeling when this happens, the residents in the neighboring area (even if they are not close to the park) will protest about taking away a public green space.

These parks, between Rowes Wharf and South Station, are the area originally assigned to Mass. Horticultural Society for their 'Garden Under Glass'. They are still planted and maintained by Mass. Hort. today, but I'm not sure what the Greenway Conservancy's long-term plan is for them now.

(Except for the last photo. Most of the green in that one belongs to the Federal Reserve Bank.)

today from the 10th floor on high st
021-8.jpg

Is there supposed to be something built on this parcel? It's not like anyone is ever going to hang out in that park. It seems like the perfect spot to create a beautiful urban square in front of South Station. That god-awful vent could be covered, as could the highway ramps.

See my answer directly above yours. The 'Garden Under Glass' would have attached to and hidden the vent building.

Quickest, easiest fix for the Greenway: re-route the 'paths' so that they aren't paths meandering through some enchanted garden. It takes away from the space that people could be using. Parks are meant to be spaces for unstructured activity, but those paths force you to walk along looking at flowers. Especially at the parcel directly in front of the IC.

Also, what is that building next to the IC? Fairly new, brick+glass? There was probably a thread here when it was being built but, man, it turned out great. So unobtrusive, yet adds such an impact to the skyline/streetwall. If only there were a little more going on at street level.

But these particular spaces were and still are intended to show off horticulture.

If "building next to the IC" is Russia Wharf, there's already a long thread about that.

But these particular spaces were and still are intended to show off horticulture.

If "building next to the IC" is Russia Wharf, there's already a long thread about that.

No, hes refering to independence wharf, which features an observation deck, open 7 days a week, and 24 hour public restrooms.

Quickest, easiest fix for the Greenway: re-route the 'paths' so that they aren't paths meandering through some enchanted garden. It takes away from the space that people could be using. Parks are meant to be spaces for unstructured activity, but those paths force you to walk along looking at flowers.

I hate everything about the Greenway, including these ridiculous, meandering paths, but tell me a park you've been to without such things. No park, particularly in such a dense, urban setting, is as "unstructured" as you suggest, including the "wild" portions of the Emerald Necklace.

By "unstructured" I meant allow for the basic template of each park to be a flat grassy lawn, with no (or very few, around the edges maybe) gardens. The sidewalks are all that are needed to service the parks, and maybe for the larger parcels, a single bisecting sidewalk. Have the walks follow the same street grid that works rather than trying to mimic some woodsy trail.

I tried to find an example of one for about 5 minutes, and I couldn't. A park the size of a block, with wide sidewalks around and a bisecting walk through the center (perhaps a fountain or sculpture of some sort as a focal point). The rest would simply be a lawn, with a few benches and lamps to allow use at night. Sidewalks would be wide enough for street vendors to sell their wares. I can see this as the most successful, because people can come to do whatever they please. In a city, where most people don't (and shouldn't) have yards, this would serve as a communal front lawn. How many yards have you seen in the suburbs where kids play catch, while leaping over patches of dead flowers and mulch?

Also, what is that building next to the IC? Fairly new, brick+glass? There was probably a thread here when it was being built but, man, it turned out great. So unobtrusive, yet adds such an impact to the skyline/streetwall. If only there were a little more going on at street level.

"Independence Wharf" was a very utilitarian warehouse and was renovated into Class A office space a few years back.

Yup, Independence Wharf, aka 470 Atlantic Ave was renovated from top to bottom around 2001. Here's what it looked like circa 1983:

aerial1984dtrussiawharf.jpg

Back