Rose Kennedy Greenway

Is the city a slave to some kind of date, like June 1, for fountains to be turned on?).

I woudn't be surprised if that were the case. This morning I noticed the fountain in the Common next to the Park St station still wasn't on and is now surrounded by a classy looking chain-link fence. The fountain at Copley Square weren't on this morning either, which is strange because they've been on for the past month or so...

The circular fountain on the Greenway is not on because a plow drove over it during the winter (which is not supposed to happen) and damaged some parts. The parts are on order and are expected soon. The fountain on one of the two parcels that make up the North End Parks is on. The other is not because of problems resulting from flooding. I believe they are working on that now and hopefully it will be on soon. By the way, during the hot weather at the end of last week, the North End park with the working fountain was jammed with people, including many kids playing in the fountain.

Harbor Islands Pavillion:

flekuf.jpg

Utile, with Reed Hilderbrand, recently completed Design Development for the Harbor Park Pavilion and the design received unanimous endorsement from the Boston Harbor Island Alliance Board at their monthly meeting on May 14.

In addition, the pavilion was reviewed by the Boston Civic Design Commission on April 7. The BCDC commissioners unanimously praised both the site planning strategy and the architectural design of the pavilion canopies. Daniel St. Claire of Jones Lang LaSalle, asked particularly insightful questions about the rationale of the geometry of the pavilions as they relate to the urban context. Linda Eastley of Sasaki, a new commissioner, appreciated Reed Hilderbrand?s strategy for the larger landscape design of Parcel 14; she commented that the design respects the existing logic of the Wharf Area parks but redeploys the existing elements to create a better sense of place. Mike Davis of Bergmeyer commended the design team for integrating a passive sustainable design strategy into the overall expressive and functional logic of the project.

Utile Design

^^Thank you dirtywater, for the explanation. Isn't odd, though, that the govt. is so quick to put jersey barriers around that rusting hulk of a sculpture next to the Govt. Ctr. garage, but did not protect the vastly more sensitive Greenway fountain. I frankly don't think the Greenway should even be plowed during the winter. Let the snow accumulate, insulate and prevent such mishaps (several have yet to be corrected from the previous year), as well as the damage done by wayward icemelt. It would be great place for cross country skiing!

^^Thank you dirtywater, for the explanation. Isn't odd, though, that the govt. is so quick to put jersey barriers around that rusting hulk of a sculpture next to the Govt. Ctr. garage, but did not protect the vastly more sensitive Greenway fountain. I frankly don't think the Greenway should even be plowed during the winter. Let the snow accumulate, insulate and prevent such mishaps (several have yet to be corrected from the previous year), as well as the damage done by wayward icemelt. It would be great place for cross country skiing!

This is what happens when you have the a highway agency maintaining a park system. Thankfully that is past us now.

I took a stroll through the North End parks on Monday afternoon and they were packed. Successful? Sure.

Oh wait it's not really successful because it was the fountains that drew the crowds or some act of god, not the park itself. /sarcasm

The circular fountain on the Greenway is not on because a plow drove over it during the winter (which is not supposed to happen) and damaged some parts. The parts are on order and are expected soon. The fountain on one of the two parcels that make up the North End Parks is on. The other is not because of problems resulting from flooding. I believe they are working on that now and hopefully it will be on soon. By the way, during the hot weather at the end of last week, the North End park with the working fountain was jammed with people, including many kids playing in the fountain.

Chinatown fountains werent on last week

That's odd...I remember walking by there last Friday (maybe it was the Friday before that) and noticed they were off too. The Chinatown Park is so odd. The small part of it that could actually be called a "park" is very nice, but the other 90% of it is open concrete. I know the Dainty Dot project was planned on being built near there...weren't they talking about adding more parkspace with their development? Would this fill in the horrid open space that is there right now?

My understanding of the Chinatown park is that the populace wanted a large space to assemble their parades, etc. I do find it unfortunate that the fountain has not been on yet, that the plaza is so empty of life and is surrounded by derelict-looking building facades, and that the "game-board" paving is stained and already mangey-looking. I'm glad the dead ginko trees have been replaced and am hoping the bamboo shoots grow quickly and tall to fill in those areas. BUT, I'm still waiting for the replacement of two of the four lucky lions that were supposedly stolen a while back, when the area around the gate was dismantled in preparation for the park.

^I thought Mumbles talked to the developer/architect (?) who stole the two lions and demanded their return. That was last year and they still have not been replaced.

Do parades happen that often here? I'm trying to think of an occasion other than Chinese New Year's or August Moon.

I actually think the Chinatown park is one of the better spaces in the city. The only problem with it really is the Surface Artery and the offramp that cuts it off from the Leather District. Still, it handles this problem better than the rest of the Greenway.

Nice pic! I'm interested to see if that yuppie nursery school will ever happen.

The two on either side should have never been built! One blocks one of the best Art Deco towers in downtown and the other blocks another well done newer building ,Think how nice these two would be if their bases could be seen from the Greenway.even with the two streets in front of them.Any one have a pix of the buildings that used to be there?

To the left of the old hardware store is the MBTA Operations Control Center and to the right is an NSTAR substation. Certainly not the best use of downtown real estate, but those three buildings are adjacent to a Big Dig off ramp, so it's not a total loss.

The BRA has created a website for the Greenway District Planning Study and posted the PowerPoints from the past three meetings. 1 and 2 are introductions and analysis; 3 appears to be actual recommendations by Utile and co.

Looking through the presentations, I was surprised to discover that they used one of my photos (meeting 2, p. 15), posted earlier in this thread. :)

Powerful, game changing, visionary! Words I would not use to describe presentation #3.

Back