Rose Kennedy Greenway

itchy said:
"It's one thing when African warlords decide that they'd like to adopt "the Chinese model"; it's absurd when we think that Boston needs to do so. I don't know what aspects of this are appealing: The command economy, the lack of property rights, the hideous tower-in-the-park architecture, the slave laborers that build it all? The Greenway is a failure, but that doesn't mean this is any better:

All of this is pure bullshit

My world views have nothing to do about my opinion on why the BRA should be disband. I'm still wondering why the BRA exists if the city already has a building dept and zoning dept? Boston is a great city but should be first rate city. Our skyline is second rate best. The colleges thrive in this city which have pushed real Bostonians out to the surburbs. Times have changed in this city and it's looking more corporate than ever to me. I think we need some creativity. Fan Pier looks awful, Filene's a complete bust, SST probably not going to happen, Columbus Ave is complete disaster, TommyTower's Not in this decade. It just seems that the idiots running the show have very poor taste.

I'd say a real bostonian is whoever happens to be living in Boston at the time...unless i'm missing some sort of criteria.

I'd say a real bostonian is whoever happens to be living in Boston at the time...unless i'm missing some sort of criteria.

Just to clarify, IMO, "real" Bostonian status would necessitate much more than just living here. One would have to not only live here, but pay taxes here, work here, vote here, have a voice in local and state government, support the arts financially and by attending performances, by attending charitable events, etc. One would have to be an active citizen who cares about the city and the direction the city is headed.

Nothing pisses me off more than going to a development meeting and hear someone say, "I've lived here for DECADES and we never did things this way."

I know. You're welcome.

Just to clarify, IMO, "real" Bostonian status would necessitate much more than just living here. One would have to not only live here, but pay taxes here, work here, vote here, have a voice in local and state government, support the arts financially and by attending performances, by attending charitable events, etc. One would have to be an active citizen who cares about the city and the direction the city is headed.

A real Bostonian is somebody that actually grew up in the city or outside the city. The reality to boston these days is nothing more than College kids from all over the world that do their 4 years then go to grad school then go back home.

That is why Menino continues to be the Mayor for life in this city. Anybody with a brain doesn't vote. And the rest of the people that live here actually work for the city. So that is what I meant on that comment.

That's not accurate at all. First, it's pretty offensive, the idea that anybody born here has a low IQ. Second, quite a few of us who came here for college remain a few decades later. I didn't grow up in Boston, but I've lived here the majority of my life. And I do vote and get involved. And I have a lot of friends who grew up here who are sharp as they come. Let's agree that baseless stereotyping plays no role in rational discussion, shall we?

Voting knocks off like 1/2 the population.
Working knocks off another 1/2 (unemployment, retirees, stay at home mom's).
Having a voice in state and local gov't knocks off another big chunk.
Supports the arts financially knocks off like 95% of who's left.
So there's like 6 "real" Bostonians in your mind and I think at least 4 of them are on this board.

Maybe when you say real Bostonian you mean people who are from Boston, not just living here curently.

Cleveland Amory knew who was a Bostonian, and who was not. Unfortunately, he's dead and no longer available to arbitrate.

Boston proposes redrawing Greenway skyline
March 18, 2010 04:46 PM
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

Boston officials are rolling out proposed new height guidelines for the city skyline along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway that would allow only modest-sized buildings closer to the waterfront and a few skyscrapers inland in locations where they would not overshadow public parks or Boston Harbor.

The new proposed rules, obtained by the Globe today, establish a framework for any future development that would occur along the Greenway. City officials identified 19 properties in the corridor from South to North stations that could be redeveloped into larger buildings. In some cases, the new rules would allow for taller buildings than current zoning permits.

The suggested height limits were devised by consultants retained by the Menino administration to examine the effects of proposed development on the Greenway itself. Menino wants more specific building guidelines in place to limit the effect shadows and winds would have on the newly-minted Greenway, which taxpayers have paid billions to create as a result of the Central Artery project.

Kairos Shen, Menino's chief planning officials, said the city's primary goal was not to make it easier--or harder--for developers to make money on new projects, but rather to enhance the appeal of the Greenway and bring more visitors to its parks, which thus far have been under-patronized.

Most of the redevelopable properties would face height limits from 50 to 200 feet, nowhere near the size of some skyscrapers that have been proposed. For example, the city would only allow a maximum of two 200-foot buildings on the site of the Harbor Garage, where developer Don Chiofaro instead wants to put two towers that would reach at least 625 feet in height. Chiofaro told the Globe yesterday he would abandon his building plan unless the city relaxes zoning rules to allow him to construct buildings large enough to make the project economically viable.

He could not be immediately reached for comment today.

50-200 feet? Are they serious? With those sort of rules, no one will EVER build anything on or around the Greenway - thus ensuring it is underutilized in perpetuity.

Four stories would still cause shadows ... so, a "No Go" if Rep. Walz, Rushing, & Michlewitz's bill passes ...

Four stories would still cause shadows ... so, a "No Go" if Rep. Walz, Rushing, & Michlewitz's bill passes ...

A fire hydrant would cast shadows in violation of the law they propose. It is literally that ridiculous.

Bring back the elevated artery!

They honestly might as well with their proposals and limitations. Just think of how much better traffic would flow if we had an underground interstate and an above ground interstate. That's like, 6-8 thru-lanes in each direction! ;)

Back