Rose Kennedy Greenway

And on THursday night:

The Boston Redevelopment Authority
invites you to attend the sixth public meeting on the
Greenway District Planning Study
Thursday, March 18, 2010
6-8 PM at the BRA
Boston City Hall, 9th Floor, Board Room

BRA staff and the consultant team will present draft recommendations for corridor-wide development scenarios including height and density ranges, building uses, and environmental impacts, as well an overview of the economic analysis performed as part of the study.

In addition, the project team will outline the preliminary guidelines for development review that will result from this process.

If you have any questions, please contact:
Peter D. Gori
www.bostoncrossroads.com
email: Peter.Gori.BRA@cityofboston.gov

And on THursday night:

The BRA has done such a Marvelous job planning and processing the DTX project why in the Hell are we listening to these clowns try to mold our Greenway?

I got a better idea, I think somebody should tell them why don't you desolve the BRA and use those funds to maintain the Greenway each year.

If only there were some sort of public meeting at which you could express your ideas.

Why not this public meeting. All he has to do is say what he just said. The words will be out of his mouth before anyone knows how to react.

But you have to speak clearly.

No mumbling.

What are you referring to? Fund what for the Greenway? Isn't your whole shtick that you don't want the government funding the anything of the anything?

What are you referring to? Fund what for the Greenway? Isn't your whole shtick that you don't want the government funding the anything of the anything?

No, What I'm saying is the BRA is more of the problem than the solution. I'm saying get rid of the BRA and use those funds to maintain the Greenway per year.

If I'm reading your link correctly they are projecting to have revenue of ~14M and expenses of ~13M thus showing a surplus of ~$90,000 ($90,165 to be exact).

If I'm reading your link correctly they are projecting to have revenue of ~14M and expenses of ~13M thus showing a surplus of ~$90,000 ($90,165 to be exact).

How much money did they borrow to buy these properties? Charlestown Navy Yard, China Trade Building, Sargent?s Wharf and Rowes Wharf

I believe Shepard is saying that's ^ not consistent with your world view (should be private funds, right?).

My world views have nothing to do about my opinion on why the BRA should be disband. I'm still wondering why the BRA exists if the city already has a building dept and zoning dept? Boston is a great city but should be first rate city. Our skyline is second rate best. The colleges thrive in this city which have pushed real Bostonians out to the surburbs. Times have changed in this city and it's looking more corporate than ever to me. I think we need some creativity. Fan Pier looks awful, Filene's a complete bust, SST probably not going to happen, Columbus Ave is complete disaster, TommyTower's Not in this decade. It just seems that the idiots running the show have very poor taste.

You lost me at, "Colleges ... have pushed real Bostonians out to the suburbs." Explain this, please.

It just seems that the idiots running the show have very poor taste.
I'd just settle for a little competence --never mind the taste.

But come to think of it, maybe Chinese competence could be combined with Chinese taste to give us something better than the best we seem able to produce locally --which is mostly neither competent nor tasteful.

^ hmmm... So are the most competent countries when it comes to planning and execution also the most interventionalist? Rifleman, is that a coincidence?

Wait, Shepard, you're kidding, right? You really think that China is the most "competent and tasteful" place on earth (something that is impossible to even say without qualifying in what regard ... architecture? ability to get something done?), and that this justifies "the Chinese model" of close state management of the economy/people's lives?

It's one thing when African warlords decide that they'd like to adopt "the Chinese model"; it's absurd when we think that Boston needs to do so. I don't know what aspects of this are appealing: The command economy, the lack of property rights, the hideous tower-in-the-park architecture, the slave laborers that build it all? The Greenway is a failure, but that doesn't mean this is any better:

china-real-estate-2009-8-19-5-12-34.jpg

or, more to the point, this:

newslide-2.jpg

I don't know think the state of MA comes out looking so brilliant in the current Greenway mess, or that giving it more power would have helped things -- state agencies seem to have had power throughout, and even when they gave parcels to ditzy nonprofits my guess is that they could reclaim them if they wanted to. And I don't know why putting the Chinese Communist Party in charge would've resulted in anything other than over-the-top but ultimately useless Ozymandian structures...

A couple of great articles. Sounds like 50 years from now a mature Chinese economy will be struggling to maintain existing infrastructure let alone undertake exciting new projects like decking over highway ramps to build a Chinese Garden Under Glass, a YMBA or a Shenzhen Museum.

Holy Shit! Bankrupt! Crash in 2011! What are we all doing on this message board? We've got to load up our bomb shelters with canned goods and chlorine tablets . . . Wait!! What was that?!?! I think I heard something? Oh god! The sky! It's the sky!!! It's falling . . . .

Hey man, I'm typing this from my shelter.

Back