Rose Kennedy Greenway

Kennedy Greenway A Glorified Median Strip
Greenway Only Took 20 Years; Why Hurry Now?
By Ted Reinstein ,
Chronicle Reporter
POSTED: 1:25 pm EDT March 19, 2010
UPDATED: 7:07 pm EDT March 19, 2010
Email Print
Comments (6)
BOSTON -- In 1985, the Big Dig -- the biggest public works project in history -- was estimated to cost $2.8 billion

As of today, with $7 billion of interest added, the total cost is closer to $22 billion.

Taxpayers can now marvel that, in today?s dollars, they could have built three Panama Canals.

Maybe we should have.

In addition to carrying traffic more effectively through the city, the other principal payoff for the public was the 1.5 mile-long ribbon of open space created by burying the city?s Central Artery underground.

The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway opened in October, 2008. Speakers gushed about a new ?gem? for the city, the most ?valuable public park? in America.

The greenway is instead the most glorified median strip in America.

You might have thought that more than 15 years and over $15 billion would have been enough time and money to have had a plan in place for the project?s big payoff.

Surprise.

Just this week the Boston Redevelopment Authority held a public meeting to discuss its guidelines for development along the greenway.

This week. More than two decades after planning for the Big Dig began.

Um, was that not enough time? Do you people need an extension? Did this open space thing come as a last-minute surprise?

Some experts opine that the greenway will, and must, evolve over time. Decades, even. According to this thinking, things will develop organically. Be patient.

Be real.

Imagine this:

You just spent 15 years and went in hock up to your eyeballs to renovate your house. The disruption and chaos of construction made your life a living hell. You will be deeply in debt the rest of your life. In packing up his truck and driving off, the contractor blithely tells you, ?Don?t worry about how we sort of left things un-built in there -- I?m sure things will take shape in the next 20 years or so. Enjoy!?

To be fair, there is now some actual green on the greenway.

Walk from south to north, and you will find (in summer) grasses and flowers just north of South Station. On the greenway?s biggest parcel, opposite the New England Aquarium, there are fountains for kids to play in.

(OK, they broke down last year, but I have seen them working and it?s fun to watch. Not worth billions of dollars, but what fountain is?)

Beyond that, there is a big grassy plot with tables and chairs at the North End parcel.

Overall, is this new 27-acre swath an improvement over the rusting, hulking artery that once towered above it? Of course it is.

But that?s not how the greenway was sold to the public -- ?Hey, whatever we come up with, it?s better than the crap that was here before.?

It was sold as something visionary.

And it is.

It?s still something you have to envision.

For long stretches on the Greenway, you?ll have to envision a place to sit down. And you?ll have to envision the shade that was supposed to be provided in summer by colorful umbrellas and more-mature trees.

You?ll have to envision some of the proposed cultural events and institutions that were to be built on the Greenway to draw visitors. Alas, with little money, more and more of them keep going from the drawing board to the dust bin . And should you feel hungry or thirsty on the Greenway, you?ll have to envision relief.

But wait. Just this week the Greenway Conservancy announced it was seeking proposals for four ?self-contained? food vendors to begin business in the park by June 1. (?Self-contained? means a food cart.)

It?s a start.

But not just anyone will do, according to the conservancy. They are insisting on certain types of healthy, wholesome foods.

?You can imagine high-end grilled cheese sandwiches with local cheese as the centerpiece of really good bread,? Conservancy Executive Director Nancy Brennan told the Globe.

How about an actual, real hot dog as the centerpiece of a whatever-bun?

More planning More envisioning. The search for the Greenway-worthy grilled cheese is on.

I suspect there is a city full of eager entrepreneurs who would have taken up shop on the greenway long before now. Even in winter. But then, these things take time. They have to happen organically.

Just like the imaginary organic tomato in your imaginary grilled cheese sandwich.

But when you stop imagining and step off the greenway to get some shade or a bite nearby, be careful -- you?ll be stepping into several lanes of traffic.

And unlike the imaginary world of the greenway, those cars are real.

Does Ted Reinstein post here?
I'd be surprised if he didn't at least lurk here.

I am not familiar with the 'Chronicle'. What city is it in, and do they have a web site?

It's a local WCVB magazine show.

Watch tonight if you want to learn about how Kendall Square now boasts apartments (what!) a restaurant called the Friendly Toast (what what!) and a place to kayak (holy wtf!)

OK, thanks. I was wondering why the Cambridge Chronicle or San Francisco Chronicle would write about a Boston project.

A tram on the greenway would be slow with all the crossings and signals and ramps. Not to mention trams have low capacity. Also, you already have the Orange Line from Back Bay to North Station which effectively serves most south side to north side connections.
BostonUrbEx, you have assembled a collection of irrelevancies. San Francisco cable cars are slow and they have low capacities; the crowding that results from the latter is one of the attractions.

Additionally, no one thinks of the Orange Line as a substitute for the Greenway Tram; why, it's barely a substitute for the Orange Line.

And there is no way anyone wants to risk another overhead monstrosity, no matter how nice it "could" be.
Someone suggested an overhead monstrosity? Perish the thought.

A tram on the greenway would be slow with all the crossings and signals and ramps. Not to mention trams have low capacity. Also, you already have the Orange Line from Back Bay to North Station which effectively serves most south side to north side connections. And there is no way anyone wants to risk another overhead monstrosity, no matter how nice it "could" be. (Especially with the mayor we have, he would say it separates the city)

800px-SydneyMonorail1_gobeirne.jpg%5D

surroudings%20road%20and%20public%20%20transport%20along%20jalan%20imbi-monorail%20station.jpg

One of these above the greenway would look real good. How rediculous do you think the views of boston would be on this thing. Not to mention the tracks are very thin and would not create the barrier that the highway did from the waterfront. If anything people would have better views with a high tech train that goes by every few minutes, instead of only cars to look at out the window.

Last edited:
One of these above the greenway would look real good. How rediculous do you think the views of boston would be on this thing. Not to mention the tracks are very thin and would not create the barrier that the highway did from the waterfront. If anything people would have better views with a high tech train that goes by every few minutes, instead of only cars to look at out the window.

I'm not saying it's bad, but just look at the people around this area and look at the mayor. They are a bunch of nuts.

That thing would never work on the greenway just for the simple fact that billions were spent taking down the highway. I don't think anyone in this city would be eager to put something back up no matter how good an idea/how attractive it is.

I think Tram overhead would be a disaster for the Greenway. They become very annoying and also dirty to the pedestrians walking at street level. This is a very bad idea. How about a TROLLY system going up and down the Greenway. The problem is the city needs to invest in infrastruture for other alternate routes getting in and out of the city so it can relive traffic from the the Greenway. Right now the Commonwealth ave Green strip is better than the Greenway.

I feel bad for Rose Kennedy knowing that they named this median strip after her. These bozo's in the city can't do anything right never mind build a beautiful greenway.

Like I said before Private money will end up molding the Greenway in the end.

Pulling this thread towards a much-needed diversion...

Does anyone know what the deal is with the huge parking lot at Fulton and Cross Streets? This is very close to the North End greenway parks, and I'm surprised I haven't heard about any development proposed for it. Anybody know of anything?

Not sure. Could it have anything to do with that cool Federal Style building right next to it (the one that straddles the entrances to the tunnels)? Does anyone know what that is? Is it the Turnpike HQ for the tunnels?

I'm pretty sure the city owns that lot. Or maybe the state? I forget.

Not sure. Could it have anything to do with that cool Federal Style building right next to it (the one that straddles the entrances to the tunnels)? Does anyone know what that is? Is it the Turnpike HQ for the tunnels?

The one with the brick walkway and grass? Yes. But I think just for the Callahan and Sumner? May or may not include the Tip and Ted.

Back