Rose Kennedy Greenway

That richardson block is largely surrounded by office towers with their sanitized/corporate like ground floor uses. The smaller scale buildings and uses within result in that block being far more interesting than surrounding blocks. If this block were to go for a tower it would be a loss. That financial district's transformation will then almost be complete - downtown Houston with more narrow streets.

^^ Granted the total "cost" of the RKG/Big Dig wasn't exactly put toward the park itself, but I bet that $14.8 billion is only about 100 times more than what the most expensive park in that list cost.

I was pretty pleased that Citygarden St. Louis was on the list. It's really a cool space, and I think it helps to get the city excited about the arts. Hopefully, it also inspires more development and/or park space renovations along the Market St. Mall, a tragically under-appreciated asset of downtown St. Louis.

I don't necessarily disagree. But to answer your question: because I don't have a choice, asshole.

St. Louis sucks, why would you want to live there?

What do you hope to achieve with a comment like this? You're not saying anything. It's just a dumb, useless comment and it adds nothing to the conversation. All you're doing is making yourself look like a fool, and announcing that no one should take you seriously.

Kennedy, is Citygarden the park near Washington U? I went to a wedding nearby. The rehearsal dinner was in the Jewel Box or Glass Box or something. Really cool space . . .

No, the park you speak of is Forest Park - St. Louis' answer to Central Park or the Common, on a much larger scale. It was the site of the 1904 World's Fair and is the home of the free St. Louis Art Museum, the free and highly regarded Zoo, the Missouri History Museum (which incidentally, I think has one of the most fantastic facades in the city), the MUNY Opera House/Amphitheater, and where that rehearsal dinner was - the Jewel Box. There's a lot more to it that I couldn't possibly describe in one post, but it's really one of the greatest parks in the country.

Citygarden is a very new sculpture park, that's an exhibit in landscape design in it's own right, and includes a small cafe very obviously inspired by Mies. I'd compare it to a very little brother of Chicago's Millenium Park, or a Post Office Square with a bit more sculpture and a little less activity.

Here are some pictures of Forest Park:

St. Louis Art Museum
20060527-063.jpg

20060527-057.jpg

Missouri History Museum
Missouri-history-museum-st-louis-forest-park.jpg

World's Fair Pavillion and Government Hill (children play in the fountain when it's nice out)
800px-GovernmentHill.jpg

Nathan Frank Bandstand outside the MUNY
2950418910_d284c085cd.jpg

Jewel Box Conservatory
Jewl-box-forest-park-saint-louis.jpg

Citygarden
c_garden_ext1.jpg

c_garden_ext2.jpg

c_garden_ext9.jpg

c_garden_ext14.jpg

Dude, the Art Museum is a scaled down version of the old Penn Station in NYC (same architects no doubt)! Be careful, I know a lot of people who would not think twice about going out there and taking it.

Also Citigarden looks really nice, too bad it is surrounded by suburban office parks. It proves, along with the RKG, that a park does not make a city.

kennedy said:

This looks extremely familiar. Don't tell me the RKG has become a model that other cities hope to emulate.

St. Louis sucks, why would you want to live there?

People with small dicks are the only ones who constantly feel the need to lash out, especially on the internet to strangers. Makes you feel like a big boy, right?

We get it, you hate you life, now shut your fucking piehole.

Thanks for the pics. Citygarden looks... confused - in those birds' eye shots. Maybe on the ground it feels more cohesive?

douchebagOFmight said:
KZ, go plant a tree on St. Louis's version of the RKG, hippie.

I totally figured it out -- you're Eric Cartman!!

Dude, the Art Museum is a scaled down version of the old Penn Station in NYC (same architects no doubt)! Be careful, I know a lot of people who would not think twice about going out there and taking it.

Also Citigarden looks really nice, too bad it is surrounded by suburban office parks. It proves, along with the RKG, that a park does not make a city.

Very similar to Penn Station, but according to my art history teacher, it was inspired by the Roman Baths of Caracalla, by Cass Gilbert (also did the Woolworth Building). He worked for a time at McKim, Mead, and White - the architects that designed old Penn Station, so perhaps there was some cross-pollination.

Baths of Caracalla (photo of a model, the actual baths are a ruin):
Model%20Antoniniane%20%20or%20Caracalla%20Baths.jpg

This looks extremely familiar. Don't tell me the RKG has become a model that other cities hope to emulate.

Thanks for the pics. Citygarden looks... confused - in those birds' eye shots. Maybe on the ground it feels more cohesive?

I would say the Citygarden is far more successful than the Greenway due to the abundance of programming and that cafe. It's less successful because the edges aren't especially activated, and no one really lives nearby. They're making progress, though - arguably more than Boston is. It's fairly confusing on ground level, but I've found that's often the case with sculpture gardens. They have a weird fetish for public art in St. Louis, don't really know what to think of it...

Van, what did you mean by "be careful I know a lot of people..."?

One more thing - none of the pictures are mine, so I don't take any credit for them.

Back