Rose Kennedy Greenway

Citigarden looks a lot more like a cheap version of Chicago's Millennium Park than the RKG. Which says a lot, since any version of Millennium Park would be superior to the RKG.

Citygarden is an extension/build out of the St. Louis Gateway Mall, correct? That sounds a lot like Millenium Park Chicago. Regardless, it looks nothing like our messy Greenway.

I went down the Greenway this weekend. It is a disaster and went right over to Boston Common.

If the city does not get some type of development this will be the biggest waste of median strip in the city. The Boston Redevelopment vision for this strip is awful.

Oh.... mentioning "median strip" makes me think of a whole new use for the Greenway - has anyone suggested a new jail? They already did this on Route 128.

Oh.... mentioning "median strip" makes me think of a whole new use for the Greenway - has anyone suggested a new jail? They already did this on Route 128.

That's pretty interesting, never seen that before. From the site:

"The center's exterior was designed to meet Federal Highway Administration standards for aesthetics..."

Hmmm.

Wow, Ive driven past it but never seen it. Streetview confirms the trees hide it.

Why is the median so enormous there?

I went down the Greenway this weekend. It is a disaster and went right over to Boston Common.

If the city does not get some type of development this will be the biggest waste of median strip in the city. The Boston Redevelopment vision for this strip is awful.

Ya, I usually go to the Common or Columbus Park or the end of Long Wharf if I want to sit out for a little bit downtown. I'm not going to hang out next to an exit ramp.

If nothing is getting built on the Greenway these days who is sponsoring the
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy and WHY?

You're not really taken in by a faux-Grand Canyon aimed at the Statue of Liberty, are you? This looks to me like some sort of jingoist nightmare, with the only thing missing being hidden speakers that constantly blare God Bless America.

More creative than the Greenway, certainly. But that doesn't mean it isn't a tired trope in New York.

I am intrigued, though, by those "Development Zones"...

You're not really taken in by a faux-Grand Canyon aimed at the Statue of Liberty, are you?
It's not a Grand Canyon, and it's only faux if you're offended by the artificial topography. If so, you doubtless hate Central Park and newly-opened Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Here the hills are made from the debris of barracks that used to occupy the site; this is completely realizable.

This looks to me like some sort of jingoist nightmare, with the only thing missing being hidden speakers that constantly blare God Bless America.
I'm totally mystified why you say this. Jingoistic? Nightmare? Hidden speakers?

Perhaps it's actually (your) feverish imaginings?

More creative than the Greenway, certainly. But that doesn't mean it isn't a tired trope in New York.
The first sentence applies. The second is mystifying. What were you thinking? Or should I ask: what are you drinking?

Boston should be grateful for a Greenway one-tenth as thoughtful, sensitive and practical. This is about as good a job of landscape design as has been produced since Olmsted.

I am intrigued, though, by those "Development Zones"...
Those will be built on by developers or New York University once criteria are established. A brilliant park will snake through between the development zones.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2952&page=29

It's not a Grand Canyon, and it's only faux if you're offended by the artificial topography. If so, you doubtless hate Central Park and newly-opened Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Red herring? I wasn't commenting on the fact that it's faux, but rather on the fact that the imagery is that of the Grand Canyon. My point was that it strikes me as "America... F**K YEA!" design. I'm totally fine if you're not feeling my point of view here. No problem.

Here the hills are made from the debris of barracks that used to occupy the site; this is completely realizable.

Straw man? I never said I oppose it because it isn't realizable.

Ad hominem?

The first sentence applies. The second is mystifying. What were you thinking? Or should I ask: what are you drinking?

A record amount of coffee today; thanks for asking.

Boston should be grateful for a Greenway one-tenth as thoughtful, sensitive and practical. This is about as good a job of landscape design as has been produced since Olmsted.

I agree this is better than anything Boston is getting. Again, it's not the technical design I'm critical about. It's the imagery and the seeming lack of creativity in designing an identity for this place beyond Statue of Liberty vista. Again, this is my opinon.

Those will be built on by developers or New York University once criteria are established. A brilliant park will snake through between the development zones.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2952&page=29

Thanks for the info.

This looks to me like some sort of jingoist nightmare, with the only thing missing being hidden speakers that constantly blare God Bless America.

ablarc said:

Ad hominem?
If you think that, I apologize; but you never did explain "jingoistic, nightmare and hidden speakers." Seems that if you'd been able to explain those claims, there'd be no question of ad hominems. If you don't justify your views, it's bound to look like a personal attack if someone disagrees.

It occurs to me that the Statue of Liberty is the real problem, the source in your mind of "jingoism." Remember: that was foisted on us by the French; maybe we should send it back.

And maybe the Grand Canyon also belongs in the grab bag of jingoism --though it's a work of God (not an American):

Shepard said:
I wasn't commenting on the fact that it's faux, but rather on the fact that the imagery is that of the Grand Canyon. My point was that it strikes me as "America... F**K YEA!" design.
I don't see the specific reference to the Grand Canyon; it could just as easily be the Swiss Alps.

The landscape architects, btw, are from Holland, a country of flatlands.

I've got to admit I find the description of the park design as a 'jingoist nightmare' extremely irritating. The park is in New York harbor for the love of god. Does an icon that HAPPENS to also be in the Harbor offend you? It's not like the designers created some kind of vegas style theme park with a mt rushmore at center stage. Should the designers have taken pains to hide it from view? Seems like political correctness run amok...'must always be multicultural in all things, dare not offend anyone at any cost'

^^It is often overused as a symbol of patriotism.

Kelly's Komic (The Onion's Editorial Comic) is famous for spoofing on this:

KellyHatsOff_jpg_410x290_upscale_q85.jpg

KellyNasaBudget_jpg_410x290_upscale_q85.jpg

Back