Rose Kennedy Greenway

Has anyone considered putting restrictions on some of the exit ramps during day-light hours?

Not endorsing the concept, just asking the question...

"Like a highway" is a function of the type of road it is, not a function of the amount of vehicles it handles. There are busy, congested streets in Boston - Boylston Street comes to mind - that are not "like a highway."

What makes the surface streets "like a highway"? Mostly, the median strip and the entrance/exit ramps. So yes, it's not contradictory to say 1) More traffic should use surface streets if we can eliminate the ramps and 2) The streets themselves should be urbanized, i.e. median strip built up, enclosed, or otherwise vastly improved.

That doesn't matter. What I'm talking about is it is dangerous to cross to the RFK Greenway because cars are coming fast and/or there are many cars. Putting traffic from the tunnel onto the surface street makes it more dangerous to cross because of the increase number of traffic. It's still contradictory because the end result is that it will be more dangerous to cross.

Not if the road design is such that it slows cars down.

Right now, the road design does exactly the opposite.

today lunch time!
103-1.jpg
the other side
104-1.jpg
some kind of art?
105-1.jpg
Once this opens the parks in front will live in up abit!
106-1.jpg

Nice pics, Boston!

Looking at the 2 parcels infront of the InterContinental Hotel, I have to wonder, where are the park benches???? Except for the stone wall on one end, there seems to be absolutely no place to sit! Parcels this small really needed some sort of screen (high grasses, high decorative screens with planted vines, etc) around it to provide the users with a sense of security and quiet from the surrounding traffic.

They're in line to get some food from the food truck! Just returned from NYC, food vendors on every corner in midtown, sometimes two or three! Why only 4 or 5 are allowed on the Greenway remains a mystery! They should be encouraged. The line for food should tell the powers that run the Greenway something!!

I hate the park in front of Inter Continental. It's design by and for grandmas.

Just returned from NYC, food vendors on every corner in midtown, sometimes two or three!

This is why the "food trucks are breathing life into the Greenway!" meme is a joke.

I give up; just make it a linear golf course...at least it would bring some of the businesspeople down from their offices.

Anybody going the Rose Kennedy Median Strip for the 4th of July potato sack races? LOL.........NOT ME.

These pictures illustrate the dire need for shade trees and places to sit. Id even settle for big rock formations here and there as a place to sit. There is absolutely no clear vision for this Greenway. As it is now, the Greenway taken as a whole, is very people unfriendly and uninviting to say the least. Yesterday I was sitting in the North End Park. Why build pergolas if your not going to have vines covering them to offer shade? These structures have been there now for a few years and yet there are no vines growing on any of them. IMO, the few pieces of sculpture that are placed on the Greenway are sophomoric at best. As long as tiny minds govern the Conservancy, we are stuck with this glorified median strip.

A long article comparing the early and decades-long 'failure' of the Esplanade with the Greenway.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma..._celebrating_the_fourth_of_july_at_esplanade/

' The grass between Haymarket and the North End was so empty that Amy and Gabriel Villablanca of London hesitated before sitting on it .... ?I quite like this spot here, because the water drowns out the sound of the traffic,?? Amy said. '

What water? I'm sooo terribly confused...

More delusional thinking and poor analysis from a Greenway apologist.

The Esplanade and Greenway have virtually nothing in common. They're very different spaces. The Esplanade serves the clear, vital role as Boston's connection to the Charles. It edges two dense and historic neighborhoods (Beacon Hill and the Back Bay), and it was established as a great and beloved space before Storrow Drive severed it from the rest of the city. These are some of the reasons that it continues to flourish in spite of its isolation.

The Greenway, despite the delusions of its boosters, does not connect to the Harbor. It connects to nothing really. It, for the most part, does not run through dense residential neighborhoods. It is bounded on both sides by heavy auto traffic and highway ramps. Beyond the traffic are mostly dead edges--lobby space, auto entrances, blank walls. And worst of all, the Greenway continues to divide downtown's neighborhoods, just as the elevated highway did before it.

So let's cut the BS. The Greenway is not analogous to the Esplanade, or the Comm Ave Mall, or Central Park, or any other great space. People need to start looking at it honestly, for what it is, not what they wish it was.

North Station and South Station?

Technically doesn't go to North Station, does it? It ends at Haymarket Square and then there's an entire block of exit ramps where a park would be. And the parcels north of that are for development, I thought? Which is way they are literally ONLY grass.

' The grass between Haymarket and the North End was so empty that Amy and Gabriel Villablanca of London hesitated before sitting on it .... ?I quite like this spot here, because the water drowns out the sound of the traffic,?? Amy said. '

What water? I'm sooo terribly confused...

greenway_northend.jpg

As the picture above clearly illustrates, there is NO shade!!!! No vines growing on the pergolas. The barren pergolas are just that, barren pergolas. No vines mean no shade. What the hell does the Conservancy have against a comfortable place to sit under a shade tree? I want the morons in charge to get off their asses and do something this year. I've written several times to the Conservancy about this issue and never got a reply.

Back