Rose Kennedy Greenway

Been down the Greenway Once this summer.
Give the taxpayers back the 32 Billion dollars spent for the entire project and put back the BRIDGE.

Been down the Greenway Once this summer.
Give the taxpayers back the 32 Billion dollars spent for the entire project and put back the BRIDGE.

tumblr_ls1qggq0Hp1qfyumho1_400.gif

I hope the $32b includes the cost of putting the smell of piss and shit back along the freeedom trail section of the central artery.

Make up for the $32b by selling off half the parcels.

Problem is a lot of the parcels have minimal development value because of the underground structures

Note that even the parcels slated for development by the museums, etc had huge issues with respect to strictures.

No -- what has to happen is aggressive development of the boundary area such as the Intercontinental Hotel, the former Russia wharf -- when that has been done with the right mix of residents, visitors and workers living, staying and working along the Greenway -- and the ground levels of the sidewalks are active with shops and restaurants -- the Greenway will be fine

Obviously the Congress Garage and the aquarium Garage projects play a key role in creating the demand for the Green-ness of the Greenway

This may take a couple more development cycles -- say 10 to 15 years

I hope the $32b includes the cost of putting the smell of piss and shit back along the freeedom trail section of the central artery.

Jesus, where were you when I was making this very point about half year ago?! Could have used the support. That improvement alone is justification for the Greenway.

Sorry about that. I've just ignored all the nonsense about the greenway. This forum hates parks and I'm not going to argue that, they just do. It's not called parksBOSTON.com for a reason. The greenway is disappointing but it's a once in a life time opportunity. It's just going to take a while to get there. And a lot of money no one has at the moment. Any one who thinks the old central artery was better than the new road system is absolutely crazy. As far as the cost, we keep electing the same crooks so of course there was corruption. Every person in Massachusetts should know the name Les Marino, but they don't. As far as federal money, were a doner state, the rest of the country owed us that money and a hell of a lot more. Too bad Boston couldn't vote on whether to keep the greenway or sell it off for development. Then you guys would see how out of touch you are. What the opposite of nimby? LNBS - leave no blade standing?

Sorry about that. I've just ignored all the nonsense about the greenway. This forum hates parks and I'm not going to argue that, they just do. It's not called parksBOSTON.com for a reason. The greenway is disappointing but it's a once in a life time opportunity. It's just going to take a while to get there. And a lot of money no one has at the moment. Any one who thinks the old central artery was better than the new road system is absolutely crazy. As far as the cost, we keep electing the same crooks so of course there was corruption. Every person in Massachusetts should know the name Les Marino, but they don't. As far as federal money, were a doner state, the rest of the country owed us that money and a hell of a lot more. Too bad Boston couldn't vote on whether to keep the greenway or sell it off for development. Then you guys would see how out of touch you are. What the opposite of nimby? LNBS - leave no blade standing?
Post more often. I like you. =)

LNBS is brilliant.

I don't think most of us hates park. I think I speak for many that we dislike the fact that parks dictate development, whether it is the open space requirement for what seems like every development of a certain size, or determining what can be built alongside the park itself such as the RFKG's case.

We actually have this debate a lot. Very few people here would fill in all the lots with development. There would still be a lot of green/open space in most forumers visions.

There is a correct way to do green space in a city. The Greenway (as it is) isn't it. And it is not a time thing. It was designed incorrectly from the word go. That a shame, because it was a grand opportunity to do some amazing things.

"Better than bad" doesn't equal "good".

I don't hate parks either. Instead, I hate incompetent design.

Last night, I spent an hour in a well designed park with some friends from out of town. They were duly impressed, but wondered why it wasn't mobbed with people. (There's a boatload of answers to that question, but that's off-topic.)

Monday night, I brought the same friends to Hanover Street for dinner. As we crossed the Greenway near the pergola, one of them turned to me and asked, "What the fuck is this supposed to be?" I offered some context.

The Greenway at night feels like a well-landscaped parking lot at a five-star resort. Everyone you see is on their way someplace else. It's a grassy speed-bump between someplace, and someplace else.

Nothing wrong with parks, IMO. In fact, I try to pick apart apart which pieces of the Greenway I'd ditch and which I'd keep; and I always end up with more park parcels than developed ones. I desperately want to see some sections flourish. I absolutely love PO Sq and would like to see something maybe double its size. But the strand as a whole is completely dysfunctional and leads to an overall mediocre quality labelled across the entire thing.

Its a long thread, so forgive me for not having the conviction to go back and see if this has been brought up, but...

Are there any plans for the Greenway to have more trees?

Its a long thread, so forgive me for not having the conviction to go back and see if this has been brought up, but...

Are there any plans for the Greenway to have more trees?

I think I saw somewhere that most of the parcels are too shallow to allow for any big trees, so mostly just little decorative flowering trees are the most you can hope for in some cases.

Without the benefit of larger trees, what the Greenway really needs is some more buildings to cast shadows across various sections over the course of the day.

The Greenway is defintely better than the Bridge. The problem is the cost of the project has become a money pit for the taxpayers. 22 billion ++ without an exit plan. The politicans are killing us.

Between the tunnel Water leaks, falling light fixtures, ceiling collaspe and now sink holes below the tunnel. This sound like a disaster waiting to happen in that tunnel. It has already killed an innocent pedistran.

Now the Taxpayers have become responsible to fund an orgainization to help create the Rose Kennedy Greenway yearly maintaince. Nothing more than Political Bullshit if you ask me.

When you have fucking punks like Peter Meade claim would you rather us put back the bridge when people are complaining about the lack of development along the Greenway. " Put the bridge back and give the taxpayers their money back you useless HACK" and get a real job you piece of shit.

In my world you either do it right or your held accountable. The politcal hacks in this city SUCK.

Common sense solutions
Sell the Greenway Parcels to corporate sponsors and dismantle the Greenway Conservancy.
Sell the majority of the Parcels to Congress & Aquarium Developers to help move forward with their projects.
This would eliminate yearly maintaince costs for the taxpayers.

Nah our politicans would rather create a GREENWAY TAX (CLASSIC)

Rifleman, you should start an ArchPolitics type blog somewhere. It's obviously something you care deeply about and you clearly have lots to say on the subject. I think it would be good for you to have a place to vent all this stuff.

Rifleman, you should start an ArchPolitics type blog somewhere. It's obviously something you care deeply about and you clearly have lots to say on the subject. I think it would be good for you to have a place to vent all this stuff.

Its just Facts.

That is fine I will leave the site. Good luck everybody.

Never said they weren't.

Just wanted to make a helpful suggestion is all.

Back