Rose Kennedy Greenway

If you guys keep this up, I'm going to drag you out of here.

Tons of pix on ArchDaily's coverage:

Janet Echelman Suspends Massive Aerial Sculpture Over Boston’s Greenway

5547de2ce58ece706c000576_janet-echelman-suspends-massive-aerial-sculpture-over-boston-s-greenway_vanderwarker_pdv6733-530x794.jpg

“The sculpture’s form echoes the history of its location,” describes Echelman. “The three voids recall the ‘Tri-Mountain’ which was razed in the 18th-century to create land from the harbor. The colored banding is a nod to the six traffic lanes that once overwhelmed the neighborhood, before the Big Dig buried them and enabled the space to be reclaimed for urban pedestrian life.”

http://www.archdaily.com/627124/jan...sive-aerial-sculpture-over-boston-s-greenway/

Definitely a Grand Slam for Boston! Way to go Greenway Conservatory!! You did good!

My suggestion is to make it permanent and expand it across more of the greenway. From Dewey Square to the Marriott Long Wharf.

My suggestion is to make it permanent and expand it across more of the greenway. From Dewey Square to the Marriott Long Wharf.

How can you make something like this Permanent when it is dependent on hanging from private buildings?

How can you make something like this Permanent when it is dependent on hanging from private buildings?

I'm sure they arranged some sort of lease with the owners of the buildings this attaches to. Rather than a short-term 3-month duration (or however little time this is supposed to stay up), I'm suggesting the Conservancy negotiates a longer term lease (i.e. years) and maintains it as a cultural fixture for the Greenway.

I'm sure they arranged some sort of lease with the owners of the buildings this attaches to. Rather than a short-term 3-month duration (or however little time this is supposed to stay up), I'm suggesting the Conservancy negotiates a longer term lease (i.e. years) and maintains it as a cultural fixture for the Greenway.

Is it up just for the summer into fall? If so, then perhaps the reason it's not staying up for years is that it isn't engineered to bear the added load of the snow and ice of winter.

They talked about the project on wbur radio this morning. It can't handle winter weather, so it must come down before winter. It apparently took some due diligence to find an appropriate location where there were enough buildings that it could anchor into and withstand the lateral forces of the project

I wonder how long it will be before people throw crap into the net.

Back