Rose Kennedy Greenway

It's also a way to guarantee the Haymarket isn't going to fade away any time soon

I hadn't really thought of that. I think that is key. There's something to be said for tradition (for lack of a better word). It would be a shame to see a historic aspect of the city fade away because it is no longer viable. Giving it a true home would ensure it can survive among all the food chains. Good point about it not really being redundant with QM. That has belonged to the tourist market for quite some time.

Does anyone know what is slated to be on that parcel? A building yes...but any idea what type? Is it just wishful thinking that it could be some type of market or is there some evidence of that?

czsz said:
It's not as if there can't be two markets...

Exactly!

czsz said:
...It's also a way to guarantee the Haymarket isn't going to fade away any time soon; it's one of my favorite features of the city. High quality architecture that won't sterilize the area is also a must...the Portland market is a great example, would reconnect the city to its timber roots, and god knows we have enough brick and concrete around as it is. A humanizing rebuff to Government Center a mere block away.

Perhaps when the Menino junta takes its leave of City Hall, these sorts of ideas can be substantively applied to City Hall Plaza as well.

Honestly I am surprised that Haymarket is still around given that most of it was bulldozed the highway in the 50's and even more of it was shaved off for Gov't Center.

I am glad that it survives and I used to love getting food there; it felt very much like the old Fulton Fish Market in NYC before they moved it up to the Bronx.

vanshnookenraggen said:
Honestly I am surprised that Haymarket is still around given that most of it was bulldozed the highway in the 50's and even more of it was shaved off for Gov't Center.

I am glad that it survives and I used to love getting food there; it felt very much like the old Fulton Fish Market in NYC before they moved it up to the Bronx.

yeah.. thing is most of the produce is usually rotten

bosdevelopment said:
vanshnookenraggen said:

yeah.. thing is most of the produce is usually rotten

This is true, I personally havent been by there too many times since the artery was torn down during the day, but I CLEARLY remember they had some fresh produce on the carts, but you could smell the rotten BS a block away. And Boston Public works was constantly hosing down the streets to keep it at sanitary as possible.

Wow, what an odd and ugly structure:
Slide21.jpg

I though cute little castle turrets and little roof peaks went out with the post-modern '80's.

It's the vaguest of concept renderings. The fact that it looks like a real-life 80s pomo development says a lot about how far we've come, architecturally (and technologically!) since then.

The Globe said:
City suggests several sites for Armenian memorial

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | July 5, 2007

City officials have identified several sites -- including some in prominent downtown locations -- they say would be suitable for the Armenian Heritage Memorial Park that supporters have been campaigning to place on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

Possible sites include property near the old Filene's building at Downtown Crossing, a large site near North Station, space in the new parks along the Charles River built as part of the Big Dig, a location in Charlestown, and others on the South Boston Waterfront.

Despite opposition from Mayor Thomas M. Menino, the Mayor's Central Artery Completion Task Force, an advisory group, and the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy -- which is assuming responsibility for the emerging corridor of parks -- supporters of the Armenian Heritage Foundation's proposal have persisted in trying to have the memorial built on the Greenway, near Christopher Columbus Park.

One location being looked at by city officials is a triangular property on Franklin Street, sometimes called "shoppers park," near the Filene's building, which is being redeveloped.

Another is on Merrimac Street, three-quarters of an acre partly owned by the state, property that is now being used as a parking lot. The plot, at the intersection of Staniford Street, would more than accommodate the park, Boston Redevelopment Authority officials said. The city also owns a wide sidewalk on two sides of the three-sided site.

City officials who spoke about potential sites asked not to be identified because some of the sites are controlled by other parties, including the state and the Massachusetts Port Authority. The city has not confirmed the sites are available. They said they are trying to help end the standoff.

Other locations being eyed by the city include spaces on the 40 acres of new parkland on the Boston and Cambridge sides of the Charles River, Pier 3 in Charlestown, and land near the entrance to the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, on Summer Street.

Officials of the Armenian group declined to offer opinions on possible alternative sites. "We continue to focus our efforts for Armenian Heritage Park on Parcel 13," said James Kalustian, president of the Armenian Heritage Foundation, referring to a Greenway block.

About a year ago, the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority designated the Armenian foundation as developer of the block near Christopher Columbus Park. Its proposal is for a memorial to the 1915 Armenian Genocide, in which an estimated 1.5 million people died.

The design, with a large labyrinth in the pavement, benches, a water jet, and a large sculpture that would change shapes annually, is by Tellalian Associates Architects & Planners LLC of Boston, and has been widely praised for its aesthetics.

The authority effectively controls development on the Greenway, which was created after the elevated Central Artery through downtown Boston was demolished and the highway put in tunnels.

But during 15 years of public meetings to develop plans for the Greenway, while the Big Dig project was underway, there was a consensus it should not be a place for memorials.

In 2000, the Legislature asked the Turnpike Authority to search for a location for an Armenian memorial in Boston. Since then, the authority has backed a Greenway site, because the Armenian foundation would fund the estimated $4 million construction cost, as well as pay for maintenance and an annual lecture series.

Features of the proposed park, which has been fully designed, include the names of the 12 former Armenian provinces and the names of prominent Armenian-Americans, its supporters have said.

Menino and other public officials worry a memorial park would set a precedent for other groups that might also seek space on the Greenway. The Greenway conservancy has called for a moratorium of at least five years on all proposals for memorials.

Thomas C. Palmer Jr. can be reached at tpalmer@globe.com.
Link

If a memorial is put on the greenway, it will be harder to tear up in the future. I still don't understand why we are going to have a memorial in boston? Were the genocide and boston somehow linked? It seems really random to me.

I think it's a reasonable thing to build, but should be in Watertown.

palindrome said:
Were the genocide and boston somehow linked? It seems really random to me.

As I understand it, Boston/MA's Congressional delegation were the primary American supporters of Armenians during the genocide.

Here we are grousing that all these deadbeats can't get anything built on the Greenway, while what's actually being built is dull as dirt.

Here come some folks who want to build something, have the money, and propose what's described as a nice-looking project --and we throw obstacles in their path. What nonsense!

I think the real issue is ethnic prejudice. Ain't no Armenians gonna take over our park!

If they were Irish or Italian, I'd bet we'd hear a different story. Come to think of it, isn't one of the proposed projects vaguely Jewish?

The whole thing reminds me of all the effort some folks went to to get that terrific horsemen sculpture removed from the Common. That one committed the sin of being dedicated to Polish freedom fighters.

Some ethnic groups rate in Boston, and some don't.

Fie!

I'm ready for the outraged denials... all the sensible reasons... all the "explanations"...

PerfectHandle said:
palindrome said:
Were the genocide and boston somehow linked? It seems really random to me.

As I understand it, Boston/MA's Congressional delegation were the primary American supporters of Armenians during the genocide.

Ok that makes more sense.

other side of the story

I think the city is trying to avoid a politically charged issue. Not everyone agrees with the idea of an Armenian Holocaust. Ask people who are Middle-eastern you might will get a different perspective. I have no idea what the 'real' story is.

Boston is the US center for Armenian culture and probably still the largest Armenian population in the US.

Re: other side of the story

BostonObserver said:
Not everyone agrees with the idea of an Armenian Holocaust.
And not everyone agrees with the idea of a Jewish Holocaust. At least one leader of a major Middle-eastern country denies its existence.

Ask people who are Middle-eastern you might will get a different perspective.
Ask the descendants of Hermann Goering and you might get a different perspective. Heck, ask some peaceable German citizens...

I have no idea what the 'real' story is.
Well, by exquisitely high standards, I have no idea what the 'real' story is on the Kennedy Assassination or Martin Luther King or the election returns in Florida or Valerie Plame or weapons of mass destruction or the North Korean nuclear weapons program, or the Theory of Relativity or Evolution or the O.J. Simpson case... By some standards, not even Johnny Cochran or Dick Cheney know all the details. And of course, anybody could be lying about everything. Do you know for a fact that 9/11 wasn't a CIA covert operation?

Anyway, if your standards are those of regular folks and the main reason you don't know the 'real' story on Armenian genocide is that you haven't bothered to read about it, here's a little article on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide

Of course, it's possible the author is lying.

(And he may be just the tip of a massive conspiracy to dupe us all.)

Ironically enough, when i clicked your link about the genocide there was no article in existence!

:lol:

ironicgv5.jpg

(make sure you remove the period in the url)

There's no serious dispute that an Armenian Holocaust happened. Everyone except the current Turkish government knows that it did.

palindrome said:
Ironically enough, when i clicked your link about the genocide there was no article in existence!

:lol:

(make sure you remove the period in the url)
Thanks, palindrome. Pesky period; never knew it could make such a difference.

At first, I thought it must be evidence of the Big Conspiracy to Keep it under Wraps. ;)

Ron Newman said:
Everyone except the current Turkish government knows that it did.
They know it too, they're just not saying.

Back