Rose Kennedy Greenway

politics

I don't doubt the Armenian Massacre occurred but I've meet many people of Lebanese and Syrian descent who claim it was mutual. There is also a sizable Lebanese and Syrian population in Massachusetts.

A few years ago congress debated some sort of recognition of the massacre and failed. It may have been a commemorative stamp. I'm sure our Saudi allies would not have liked this and I don't our local politicians would want to touch this either.

Palindrome, thank you for inadvertently reminding me how much I love Safari:

jh4i45vf4.png

(I know -- horrendously off topic.. sorry)

I never heard of us having any "Saudi allies". Anyway this is rapidly moving off topic.

Ron Newman said:
I never heard of us having any "Saudi allies".
Our "Saudi allies" stand shoulder to shoulder with us in the "global war on terror." They do this by using our military equipment and intelligence to exterminate opponents of their royal family.

They repay us with a steady supply of high oil prices and aviation students. The latter entertain us occasionally with feats of stunt-flying.

They are also the reason Osama bin Laden hates us so much (and our freedom --don't forget our freedom!!). He'd like to replace those Saudi royals with ... himself.

The Saudis don't give a hoot about Armenians. It's our Turkish allies that would be offended.

Are they reserving parcels on the greenway for Bosnians and Tutsis? Not to minimize anybody's history of suffering, the emerging theme threatens to turn it into a grimway (in a whole another way).

justin

^ "The Grimway" ... Hmm ... That's not bad.

Promising.

FWIW, the Turkish government doesn't deny lots of Armenians happened to die around 1915. The question is whether it was a "genocide" (inherently complicated by the problem of defining "genocide"). The current party line in Ankara is that there were a number of factors contributing to mass death. Yes, they acknowledge, Turkish soldiers killed lots of Armenians, but not an some organized, systematic way resulting from an Ottoman government diktat to eradicate the Armenian race. In other words, there was no equivalent of the Wannsee Conference, no planned "final solution". Moreover, the Turkish government claims that Armenians weren't quite innocent of tormenting other ethnic groups - Kurds and Turks themselves included. Finally, factors related to the fact that the Ottoman Empire was experiencing general wartime difficulty contributed to hardships for the Armenians (such as famine) that killed a good number of them off around the same time.

It stands to reason that Boston could erect a monument to the death and suffering of the Armenians and not offend Turkey, so long as said monument doesn't contain the word "genocide" or attempt to accuse Turkey of premeditated ethnic cleansing.

Ron Newman said:
I never heard of us having any "Saudi allies". Anyway this is rapidly moving off topic.

Ronnie N., why are you always so damned concerned about running off topic? you say it all the time. i dont care, everytime i see it it makes me laugh actually. I can see it coming too.... saying to myself, oh boy Ron is gonna get heated we're off topic. and then BAM. Ronnie F. Newman with the token "this is off topic" one liner. No long post with chidings for everyone, just that one line.

BostonSkyGuy said:
vanshnookenraggen said:
You got enough spyware there?

Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who instantly thought that. Thank You Van.

Ehh it was a work computer intended to look up books (i work at a bookstore), so i could care less to clean it. My laptop uses firefox though--Nice and clean! :)

Bobby Digital said:
Ron Newman said:

Ronnie N., why are you always so damned concerned about running off topic? you say it all the time. i dont care, everytime i see it it makes me laugh actually. I can see it coming too.... saying to myself, oh boy Ron is gonna get heated we're off topic. and then BAM. Ronnie F. Newman with the token "this is off topic" one liner. No long post with chidings for everyone, just that one line.

OMG i just spit out my drink laughing at this post!!

The plaza just east of 125 Summer at Summer Street and Surface Road opened last week, and is seeing plenty of usage (I realize the picture doesn't really reflect that, but it is)

img6411qy0.jpg

Ron Newman said:
Until it reached one of the three parcels full of highway ramps.

Hmm... we could erect some sort of large elevated structure to rise above the greenway and the ramps. I know, it would look dreary, but we could just paint it green and maybe it would blend in... and if we keep having trouble with leaks in the big dig, we could even move car traffic up there!

^ I wish the plot leading up to the Rowes Wharf arch were so perfectly aligned.

The height and composition of the vegetation is bizarre...that, more than anything, might be giving this a suburban landscaping feel.

czsz said:
The height and composition of the vegetation is bizarre...that, more than anything, might be giving this a suburban landscaping feel.
might be?!?

czsz said:
I wish the plot leading up to the Rowes Wharf arch were so perfectly aligned.[/img]
Yeah.

A tree in the suburbs is an object to be looked at (from a moving car is fine). A tree in a city is something to be under.

A source of shade and shelter, a trunk you can touch on a groundplane you can walk on.

This is the display beside the sign at the entrance to an office park.

didn't we already decide that this stuff has to be built up b/c of the tunnel?

ablarc said:
czsz said:
I wish the plot leading up to the Rowes Wharf arch were so perfectly aligned.[/img]
Yeah.

A tree in the suburbs is an object to be looked at (from a moving car is fine). A tree in a city is something to be under.

A source of shade and shelter, a trunk you can touch on a groundplane you can walk on.

This is the display beside the sign at the entrance to an office park.

Very, very well said. I think thats what others were trying to get at.

My homage to Joyce Kilmer:

I think that I shall never see
A full-grown healthy Greenway tree.

A tree whose tiny branches are prest
Against the Greenway's pebbled, dry, and earthen breast;

A tree that looks bad all the day,
And lifts her leafless arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of concrete, and plastic bags in her hair;

Upon whose bosom bureaucracy has lain;
Who intimately lives in vain.

Bostonians will be quick to say,
That only Boston can disgrace the Greenway.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only Boston can debase a tree.

Back