Rose Kennedy Greenway

Walked up and down the Greenway this weekend. A few thoughts:

- The small park near the aquarium with the crowded mature trees is now open. The shade provided by the thick canopy actually felt good in the 90 degree weather.

- The water feature that runs the length of the North End parcels should look pretty good when filled with cascading water.

- Hoping the "Light Blades" actually light up and change color at night, but it doesn't look like they are wired to do so. Maybe too early to tell.

- There is already a lot of litter (particularly plastic bags) getting snagged in the bushes and trees of both the North End and Waterfront parcels. Probably due to the park being surrounded by up to six lanes of traffic. It's going to need upkeep to stay clean.

Two other non-Greenway but park-related comments:
- Has anyone else noticed that the Parks Department has been cutting down a very larger number of 150+year old Elm trees in the Common, Public Garden and Comm Ave Esplanade... it's a real travesty. I suppose they're dying to Dutch Elm Disease, but the trees being felled were in full leaf and did not appear to be dying.

- Has a date been set for the opening of North Point Park?

Regarding North Point Park and its delayed opening, the Globe ran this story on November 5, 2006 (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/11/05/chomping_at_the_bit_for_new_park/):

CAMBRIDGE
Chomping at the bit for new park
Grass not greener at North Point, and opening's delayed again
By Peter DeMarco, Globe Correspondent | November 5, 2006

North Point Park on the banks of the Charles River looks as good as can be from James Haffner's 10th-floor office window. Bike paths wind through grass fields; street lamps line a waterfront boardwalk; new park benches dot the landscape.

Standing at ground level, though, the picture isn't as rosy: Would-be visitors are blocked by a huge metal construction fence that encircles the park, with large DO NOT ENTER signs posted at every turn.

"We play football in the fall on Fridays," said Haffner, who works in the EF Educational Tours building across from the park. "It'd be nice to have the games right here."

That won't be happening, at least not this year. Construction on North Point Park, which sits east of the Museum of Science and across the river from Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital , began two years ago as an open space component of the Big Dig. But the park's anticipated opening in the spring was pushed back to this fall, and now, because of construction delays, it's been pushed back to next spring.

Perhaps the biggest reason for the delays has been the grass. Park officials -- the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority is building the park; the state Department of Conservation and Recreation will oversee its management -- decided to plant grass seed instead of laying sod, and it takes two growing seasons for seeded grass to become strong enough to withstand heavy foot traffic, they say.

While the grass looks good -- and should last longer than sod -- it isn't durable yet.

"If we had opened the park in September, the grass would be dead now," said Karl Haglund, DCR's project manager for the New Charles River Basin Parks . "It was not well enough established to allow use of the open lawn areas."

The park's general contractor, construction giant Jay Cashman Inc., was also unable to plant several large trees that can only survive if planted during spring months. The trees are so large they will require trucks and possibly a crane to be driven across the park when they are eventually installed.

Also on the to-do list, concrete holes intended to support steel railings on small pedestrian bridges were improperly drilled and need to be repaired. And the steel railings themselves were improperly galvanized by another subcontractor and must be sent back.

"There are still several minor items to complete," said a written statement issued by Cashman Inc. "Primary among them, a small percentage of landscaping elements which failed to take root despite proper care, and a failed coating system on some handrailings. These items were driven, in the first instance, by Mother Nature, and in the second instance by the unfortunate bankruptcy of one of our subcontractors.

"We continue to work diligently with the MTA, DCR, and other project participants to expeditiously complete these items."

Haglund said that while such problems might seem insignificant to the average person, they must be rectified before the park opens.

"As long as the park is being built, the contractor is responsible. He basically owns the site until the work has been accepted," Haglund said. "You can't accept part of the work."

On that point, officials are in total agreement. The Turnpike Authority has already opened two Charles River Basin parks in conjunction with the Big Dig, Paul Revere Park in Charlestown and Nashua Street Park in Boston. But North Point Park is the biggest of the three, an 8.5-acre parcel that stands to be one of the largest parks in the new Central Artery greenway. The park's price tag is $27.3 million, of which $14 million was spent to remove contaminated soil.

"Obviously we want to get the amenities that are associated with the Central Artery Project open as quickly as possible," said Jon Carlisle, spokesman for the state's Executive Office of Transportation. "We know there's disappointment. But we need to get it done properly and not just expediently."

North Point Park is expected to draw thousands of East Cambridge residents, who have few parks to enjoy, as well as condominium dwellers from the Regatta Riverview complex. Although their construction has been stalled by a funding dispute, pedestrian bridges over the Charles River eventually will open up the park to Esplanade bicyclists and joggers as well.

The park is also expected to serve as a gateway to the Charles River Skatepark, a massive skateboarders' paradise slated to open in 2008 under the Zakim Bridge.

"It's very needed. We're the part of the city that's being overdeveloped," said Barbara Broussard, president of the East Cambridge Planning Team, a neighborhood civic group.

"To build community you really need open space. You need a place where people can meet. And gee, on a nice sunny day, wouldn't you want to take your kids there?"

RandySavage said:

- Has anyone else noticed that the Parks Department has been cutting down a very larger number of 150+year old Elm trees in the Common, Public Garden and Comm Ave Esplanade... it's a real travesty. I suppose they're dying to Dutch Elm Disease, but the trees being felled were in full leaf and did not appear to be dying.

I did a Google because I doubted that there were a very large number of elm trees left. There were, but given that the Friends of the Public Garden has made a special effort to preserve the elms, I'm convinced they wouldn't be cut unless they had dutch elm disease.

See this article (from 2004) on efforts to save the elms.
http://beaconhilltimes.com/archive/news_db/20040810/20040810.html

The Arnold Arboretum has only two 'wild' elms in its inventory; both were obtained from Michigan in the 1980's.

Fidelity Park Saturday

DSCF0212.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

Wharf Parks this evening

DSCF0522.jpg

DSCF0528.jpg

^^^ OK, those last pics convinced me. The Greenway is in fact coming along very nicely.

Also, I did walk along the side of majority of it yesterday. It is getting noticeably better each day.

Would be nice if that park adjacent to the Boston Harbor Hotel became similar to PO Square...complete with butt-pads and all. We need another up scale park to eat lunch at and go "bird-watching". Looks like it has potential. Lush Grass! Too bad they didn't take the relationship to that arch into consideration before designing those nearby parcels.

^^ The yearly maintenance budget of the tiny P.O. Square Park is probably equal to or greater then what the annual maintenance budget of the entire Greenway will be.

I've never seen a park so meticulously maintained.
Of course P.O. Square has the ability to hire 'immigrant' worker at minimum wage with no benefits, an option the Greenway handlers probably won't have.

Too bad they didn't take the relationship to that arch into consideration before designing those nearby parcels.
This theme has been repeated several times in this thread, but it is simply not true. You can't tell from this photo, but this parcel has been designed with the Rowes Wharf arch in mind:
DSCF0522.jpg

The light standards at the back of this photo are lined up with the end of Broad Street to create a visual connection with the arch. The lawn, pathways and promenade on this parcel end along the line created by the northern edge of Broad Street and the path of these lights, beyond which a hard surfaced plaza serves as a sort of "extension" of Broad Street to the arch. You may or may not like what was designed, but it clearly was an attempt to respect the arch.

The parcel across the street from this one does not currently show that same level of respect for the arch, but the improvements on that parcel are temporary and will be replaced by the New Center for Art and Culture. As I understand it, this project has been designed to preserve a view corridor for the the arch from High Street at International Place. The plaza area on this side will be designed to complement the New Center, but will also, I believe, in some way pay homage to the arch.

original rfp

when the Rowes Wharf was put up for development one of the requirements was that a view corridor down Broad street had to be maintained.

I stand corrected. The parcel I have the problem with is in fact the one just south of the parcel in the above photo. It pays no mind to the building at all. I know it is supposed to be temporary, but with a building being slated for that land I only hope they stay true to their word. I guess I'm having a tough time envisioning that parcel with a building and still maintaining the relationship we all seek. I suppose it would have been difficult for the park(s) to have a perfect relationship with the arch because of the location of the cross streets. Perhaps I'm narrow minded in this regard, but I'm a fan of symmetry in situations like this. That can't be accomplished with the way the streets and parks are laid out.

I did notice the other day the lined pathway you mention in the park pictured above. It does in fact leads directly to the arch, though at a diagonal angle. Perhaps the ARCH is in the wrong place. :roll:

The light standards at the back of this photo are lined up with the end of Broad Street to create a visual connection with the arch.

Anyone have any clue if these light sticks will cycle with different colors (which would add some nice visuals in the evening)?

My guess?

They probably will for the 1st year or two, then they will start to fritz out. They will be repaired periodically.
Then, over time, the cool multi-color units will be replaced with a more 'cost efficient' solid white (read:sickly yellow) bulb units.
Finally they will eventually all burn out and not be replaced.
Just a guess

^^^^ Damn. Is that best case scenario? I'd hate to hear your pessimistic vision of the future. I bet there are flames and horsemen involved. :twisted:

I doubt they're gonna be all white in a couple years... you dont even need a colored bulb in order to have colored lights. a rotating piece of transparent plastic over the bulb can create different colors for christ's sake.

Even if they are just white, whats the problem with that? are you about to jump off the tobin bridge? What is this gonna bother you cuz cant eat some sugar cubes and listen to pink floyd on the lawn?

So who pays for the maintenance on Post Office Sq.? Enlighten me.

gotta love the bitching with no basis. bitch just to bitch.

Bobby Digital said:

The revenue from the garage underneath the Park pays for the maintenance of the park. A revenue source the Greenway doesn't have.

I was basing my guess on the City Hall Plaza fountain and the pretty blue (now sickly yellow) lights on the Zakim Bridge.

stellarfun said:
RandySavage said:

I did a Google because I doubted that there were a very large number of elm trees left. There were, but given that the Friends of the Public Garden has made a special effort to preserve the elms, I'm convinced they wouldn't be cut unless they had dutch elm disease.

See this article (from 2004) on efforts to save the elms.
http://beaconhilltimes.com/archive/news_db/20040810/20040810.html

The Arnold Arboretum has only two 'wild' elms in its inventory; both were obtained from Michigan in the 1980's.

When the greenway was planned they announced that Dutch Elm resistent American Elms would be one of the major tree species used. Has anyone noticed any of them planted on the greenway?

As far a maintenance goes, since the Greenway is named the Rose Kennedy Greenway, I have a feeling (hopefully) that the Kennedy family will be watching closely to make sure the RKG is kept up....anything less would be an embarrassment to the family.

statler said:
Bobby Digital said:

The revenue from the garage underneath the Park pays for the maintenance of the park. A revenue source the Greenway doesn't have.

I was basing my guess on the City Hall Plaza fountain and the pretty blue (now sickly yellow) lights on the Zakim Bridge.

lol what fountain? and yea the zakim bridge is definitely missing some blue bulbs. THEY GOTTA FIX THAT. That bridge quickly became a part of the Boston landscape. i.e. in openings of local 6pm newscasts, back rounds for when reporters are in Boston on national channels. Somebody HAS to fix that. How much can they be? 10 g's total to fix that? at the most? I was really surprised how fast that bridge came into prominence and to see the blue get dimmer and dimmer is just not cool. an embarrassment if you ask me. put a lock on the damn lights jesus christ.

atlantaden said:
As far a maintenance goes, since the Greenway is named the Rose Kennedy Greenway, I have a feeling (hopefully) that the Kennedy family will be watching closely to make sure the RKG is kept up....anything less would be an embarrassment to the family.

There are lots of things that are named after the Kennedy clan. I doubt they are spending a lot of time & money ensuring they all look their best.
If so, the JFK building sure could using some shining up. Maybe we could call Teddy. :wink:

^^^^^^

Point well taken but there's something special about a mother and her good name. I imagine they would hate to see such a high profile park become trashy; it would be a huge embarrassment to the family and their mother's name. I do think the Kennedy clan will take a special interest in making sure the RKG is, at the very least, sufficiently maintained. But I guess, time will tell.

Back