Rose Kennedy Greenway

These people pay for it:http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/. As for the colored gels on the lights for the Zakim Bridge, I heard some workers stole them.

Last night I had some drinks on the new outdoor patio at The Times, and I'm reporting that it's pretty nice. Hopefully the patio is a sign of things to come in terms of businesses reorienting themselves to the Greenway; I noticed that Tia's has done the same thing.

When it comes to PO Square's maintenance I believe there is also some sort of neighborhood group, for lack of a better term, called "friends of PO Square" or something to that effect. I think it's a group of surrounding businesses that have a stake in the park, in combination with the garage. I'm not sure of the details, so I may be a bit off on that.

Similarly, there are "adopt a highway" programs where businesses contribute funds to keep certain stretches of highway clean. They put little signs up that say something like "this portion of the highway is sponsored by x-company". They consider it advertising I'd think. It would be great if something like that came into play with the greenway. Businesses get props and recognition and the city gets a clean and well maintained park system.

atlantaden said:
^^^^^^

Point well taken but there's something special about a mother and her good name.

How to put this delicately, without sounding like a jackass -- there are some things about Rose Kennedy aren't written in books.

A couple of anecdotes from my dad, who saw this in person while he was a Trooper:
In the 50's, the Kennedy family had a controlling interest in American Airlines; Jack was the junior Senator, and Rose would frequently travel to Washington to visit. Her limo would arrive at Logan and she'd invariably have a ton of luggage. She'd tip the sky-caps a dime (if at all) and would publicly castigate them for the smallest misstep. Her behavior was so belligerent, they'd all go to lunch at the same time to avoid her and one of the passenger service reps would have to help her.

After Jack took office in 1960, he'd come through Logan, and my dad became friendly with several members of his Secret Service detail. (By all accounts, Jack was a decent, affable guy, though he never carried money on him -- my dad would often buy copies of the Globe, Record (now the Herald), and the Times for him.) One of the Secret Service agents mentioned to my dad that on his first visit to Hyannis, one of the maids offered him a cup of tea, which he accepted. When Rose saw him with the tea, she interrogated him about who gave it to him, and demanded he give her ten cents for the teabag.

The smallest things speak volumes about a person's character; too often, we paint the Kennedys with Norman Rockwell's brush. Of all of the fine and deserving women in the history of Boston (and New England) I think we could have done a lot better than Rose Kennedy as a namesake for the Greenway, unless we're looking to highlight the fact that the entire enterprise is being done on-the-cheap.

The smallest things speak volumes about a person's character; too often, we paint the Kennedys with Norman Rockwell's brush. Of all of the fine and deserving women in the history of Boston (and New England) I think we could have done a lot better than Rose Kennedy as a namesake for the Greenway, unless we're looking to highlight the fact that the entire enterprise is being done on-the-cheap.

The point I was making had nothing to do with Rose Kennedy's good character or lack thereof, I made a very general statement about mothers......my point was that since the Greenway is named after Rose Kennedy (was not looking to debate that point either), that hopefully the maintenance of the Greenway would be better since the Kennedy's would not want the Rose Kennedy Greenway to look like trash out of respect to their mother's name. I will say, though, we're probably all guilty of remembering the best traits of our mother's character while ignoring any small faults that she may have had. Rose Kennedy's cheapness was well documented, Jack even joked about it.

Fidelity park looks like a nice escape from the summer sun. I need to take a trip out to the greenway soon and walk the stretch. Has any of the lights on the greenway been activated yet?

Beton Brut said:
atlantaden said:
^^^^^^

Point well taken but there's something special about a mother and her good name.

How to put this delicately, without sounding like a jackass -- there are some things about Rose Kennedy aren't written in books.

A couple of anecdotes from my dad, who saw this in person while he was a Trooper:
In the 50's, the Kennedy family had a controlling interest in American Airlines; Jack was the junior Senator, and Rose would frequently travel to Washington to visit. Her limo would arrive at Logan and she'd invariably have a ton of luggage. She'd tip the sky-caps a dime (if at all) and would publicly castigate them for the smallest misstep. Her behavior was so belligerent, they'd all go to lunch at the same time to avoid her and one of the passenger service reps would have to help her.

After Jack took office in 1960, he'd come through Logan, and my dad became friendly with several members of his Secret Service detail. (By all accounts, Jack was a decent, affable guy, though he never carried money on him -- my dad would often buy copies of the Globe, Record (now the Herald), and the Times for him.) One of the Secret Service agents mentioned to my dad that on his first visit to Hyannis, one of the maids offered him a cup of tea, which he accepted. When Rose saw him with the tea, she interrogated him about who gave it to him, and demanded he give her ten cents for the teabag.

haha i love troopers...

i think its rather pathetic that not only have we not had anyone whose name was worth using on the greenway since the kennedys, but we had to name it after the resident bitch of the family.

Maybe it should be called the "Rose Kennedy Bitchway".

:twisted:

But there are some people who feel the need to speak before they think (or without thinking), seemingly just to start fights.

but we had to name it after the resident bitch of the family

Maybe it should be called the "Rose Kennedy Bitchway

^^

Meh. How is any of that starting a fight? I doubt anyone on this board is part of the Kennedy family. She is a public figure.
Discussing the poor naming choice (even in a snarky manner) of the Greenway is a valid topic for this thread.
Personally, I wish they had picked someone a little more deserving as well.

^^^^^^^^

True, I should have just posted......

But there are some people who feel the need to speak before they think (or without thinking),

Fair enough.

Of course none of this matters cuz Van is going to come along and delete it all anyway. :p :wink:

Of all things, there's an article in today's Globe about how the Greenway was named. Since I don't have any idea as to how to post a newspaper article (in reduced, yet readable form), maybe one of you young, computer savvy, whippersnappers could post it.

The Globe said:
Birth of the Greenway

By Robert L. Turner | July 20, 2007

JOHN F. Kennedy liked to say that success has a thousand fathers, but his own mother's greenway is something of an orphan. A dozen people are happy to claim a part -- a midwife's role, perhaps -- in applying Rose Kennedy's name to the meandering string of parks that is now well on its way to becoming a glory of downtown Boston. But no one claims to be the actual parent.

Thousands of Bostonians are expected to flock this Sunday to Christopher Columbus Park for a "family festa picnic" that will mark dramatic improvements on the Greenway parks. Many doubtless think the naming of the Greenway was the product of Massachusetts power politics. Indeed it was, but not in the way most probably imagine.

It is clear, from interviews and contemporary documents, that the son is not the father: that Senator Edward Kennedy did not force his mother's name onto the Greenway, but that a small group of well-connected citizens lined up key support, including from some Republicans, and won the insertion into a 1996 state law of a paragraph saying: "The open space created above the depressed central artery shall be designated as the Rose Kennedy greenway."

One motive of this group was to honor Mrs. Kennedy appropriately. Another motive for many was to lock in the political support of Senator Kennedy, boosting enormously the odds for a successful outcome.

The idea was conceived in 1995, between Jan. 22, when the matriarch died at 104, and April 18, when James Aloisi, then general counsel of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, sent a memo to the Weld administration suggesting that the Central Artery open space be named the "Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Boulevard."

The most likely candidates for parenthood are:

Aloisi, now in private practice at Goulston & Storrs, who also played a key role in drafting the memorandum of agreement that created the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy in 2004.

Fred Salvucci, former state transportation secretary, often referred to as the father of the entire Big Dig project.

Ann Hershfang, a board member of the Turnpike Authority at the time, and later president of WalkBoston, an organization that played a key role in limiting auto traffic adjacent to the Greenway.

George Abrams, a lawyer with Wilmer Hale, a philanthropist and close friend of Kennedy.

Aloisi says he "can't really remember" where the idea came from and is sure he had little to do with the legislation, which passed in 1996, a year after his memo. Aloisi says he does remember being moved by accounts family members brought back from the funeral service for Rose Kennedy in St. Stephen's Church in the North End.

Salvucci has disclaimed personal responsibility for the naming.

Hershfang thinks the idea came from either Salvucci or Aloisi, but isn't sure. She acknowledges playing an active role early on, and writing letters to legislative leaders in 1996.

Abrams says he believes the idea first surfaced in a conversation he had with Hershfang.

Also key players were the chairmen of the Legislature's Transportation Committee, Senator Robert Havern and Representative Thomas Cahir, who lobbied Republicans and saw to it that the short amendment was included in the final bill.

But since no DNA test has yet been devised for establishing political parenthood in Boston politics -- imagine what such a test would mean! -- the Greenway may have to live with the notion that it was created by a small village.

It is also clear, though, that Senator Kennedy's support for the idea was strong and quick. Abrams remembers talking with the late Eddie Martin, then retired from his job as head of Kennedy's Boston office, who in 1996 wrote a memo backing the name and stressing Rose Kennedy's pride "in her heritage and in her North End birth." Gerard Doherty, another Kennedy family insider, also remembers Kennedy being enthusiastic about the idea.

He still is. And that is the bottom line now. "Thank God it happened, or we would be nowhere," says Peter Meade, chairman of the conservancy. Without question, the conservancy would not exist without Kennedy's active support. And beyond that, as Meade points out, Rose Kennedy's reputation for a standard of excellence has helped keep planners' sights high.

Or as Abrams put it, with Rose Kennedy's name attached to the Greenway, "it would be hard to tamper with it."

So when people gather Sunday to enjoy a picnic and envision the growing potential of the Rose Kennedy Greenway, they will get the classic view of a newborn -- a large result from a small idea.

Robert L. Turner is former deputy editorial page editor of the Globe.
Link

"Maybe it should be called the "Rose Kennedy Bitchway".

Cool your jets, guys, I was just kidding. It's called a sense of humor.

atlantaden said:
But there are some people who feel the need to speak before they think (or without thinking), seemingly just to start fights.

but we had to name it after the resident bitch of the family

Maybe it should be called the "Rose Kennedy Bitchway

stop whining. if you don't like what someone writes, ignore it.

remember when you were a kid and someone called you a name and your parents said "ignore them and theyll go away"? that applies here.

Story from Globe today.

Accompanying the Globe story are 15 photos, several of yesteryear. Most are overhead views, and while giving a sense of scale, reveal little of the park features.

His Honor The Mayor likes what he sees, but still worries who will pay for the upkeep.

The article indicates that the Armenian memorial will go somerwhere else.

Celebration today to mark progress as Greenway work enters final phase

By Michael Levenson, Globe Staff | July 22, 2007

Four workers lowered a slender red maple into a hole in the sidewalk outside Quincy Market. Near a glass office tower in the Financial District, workers on their hands and knees used padded mallets to tap granite slabs into place, creating a walkway around a fresh field of grass. Under the 36-story headquarters of State Street Corporation near Chinatown, water bubbled from a fountain as workers spread sealant on a stone terrace shaded by bamboo.

Seventeen years after officials said the Central Artery in downtown Boston would be replaced by shady boulevards, babbling fountains, and quiet lawns, they are finally making good on their promise to build the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. This fall, the project's three major parks -- near the North End, Wharf District, and Chinatown -- will open, potentially transforming the look and feel of the city.

Office workers cooped up in cubicles, tourists strolling Faneuil Hall, and neighbors who have endured years of fist-shaking traffic and late-night jack-hammering will be able to grab a sandwich and relax on the mile-long expanse, which stretches from North Station to Chinatown.

"It finally seems to be looking good," said Bob McAleer , an engineer who has watched the parks being built from a third-story window in his office on High Street. "There's actually some green in the Greenway."

Today, on what would have been the 117th birthday of Rose Kennedy, matriarch of the political dynasty, officials will throw a party to celebrate the milestone with face-painting, dancing, and hip-hop on Christopher Columbus Park near the North End.

"Every day as you go by the Greenway you see improvements -- new bushes being planted, brickwork being done," Mayor Thomas M. Menino said. "And if you come back and don't see it for a week, you see the real progress being made in the planting and landscaping of the Greenway."

Tourists heard as much from the driver of their Duck Tour, who bellowed his praise as he drove near South Station last week. "I can't tell you how excited we are about this," the driver crowed over the loudspeaker. "Actually, it opens up a whole different part of Boston."

The idea for the Greenway was hatched in the 1970s and honed in the 1980s when state officials began formalizing plans to bury the elevated Central Artery. Officials envisioned a thriving ribbon of green like Las Ramblas in Barcelona or Battery Park in Manhattan that would reconnect downtown with the city's historic waterfront. But as the decades passed, the vision fell prey to squabbling over who would fund, design, and control the parks -- the city, the state, or the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.

"It was 10 years before we got cracking on it," former governor Michael S. Dukakis said. "Responsibility should have been assigned right from the beginning. It's caused unnecessary delay and unnecessary controversy."

The Interstate 93 tunnels had already opened in 2003 when officials created the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, a private, nonprofit corporation to manage the parks in 2004. That year, they dismantled the Central Artery and set about building the Greenway.

Over the past several months, workers planted 1,300 trees on either side of the Greenway, varieties such as red maple and London plane that will survive car fumes and sea breezes. They covered 27 acres with loam and grass seed, serpentine walkways, day lilies, lavender, and boxwood.

Last week, much of the Greenway still looked like a construction site, surrounded by Jersey barriers and chain-link fencing, and strewn with backhoes, trash barrels, orange cones, and litter.

But come August, Turnpike officials say they will cart away the mess and open the first park -- a one-acre stretch in Chinatown. The Asian-influenced park features a giant red gate, a rough-hewn fountain and a promenade planted with bamboo, willow, Chinese cherry, ginkgo, azaleas and peonies.

Soon after Labor Day, they will open the parks near the North End, spaces designed to look like the porch on an Italian villa with vine-covered pergolas, a fountain, and cafe tables and chairs. Soon afterward, the largest, most complex parks, spanning five acres in the Wharf District, will open.

They feature a central fountain that shoots columns of water, a dozen illuminated sculptures called light blades, and a granite seawall that once marked the city's shoreline and was excavated during the building of the I-93 tunnels.

"These are bamboo trees -- fancy, huh?" said George Wong , 72, pointing at the Chinatown park from his parking attendant's booth on Essex Street. "It's very nice. I just hope they keep it up."

By 2014, officials say, at least three new buildings will rise on the Greenway: a YMCA near the North End, a history-themed Boston Museum near Quincy Market, and the New Center for Arts and Culture, an exhibition space near Rowes Wharf to be designed by the architect Daniel Libeskind.

The biggest hurdle facing officials is what to do with a large swath near Congress Street, where plans for a "garden under glass" collapsed for lack of funding. Workers have covered the land with grass, shrubs and walkways while the city, state, Turnpike and Conservancy debate a final design.

Officials are also deciding what to do with a half-acre parcel near Commercial Street where officials shelved plans for a memorial to the Armenian genocide. Menino said the memorial would encourage others to build their own memorials on the Greenway.

Supporters of the Greenway also worry about its upkeep, if, as they hope, thousands come to the parks to stroll, picnic, and play.

The Conservancy has raised $16.5 million toward a goal of $20 million for events and maintenance. But some say that might not be enough. And officials have not decided which agency will pick up trash, patch holes in the grass, and fix broken benches and sidewalks.

"The long-range issue is the maintenance -- who will maintain the Greenway?" Menino asked. "Who's going to do the work that's necessary to maintain the beauty? That's a question that has yet to be resolved."

stellarfun said:
"The long-range issue is the maintenance -- who will maintain the Greenway?" Menino asked. "Who's going to do the work that's necessary to maintain the beauty? That's a question that has yet to be resolved."
Are they competing to do it or vying to avoid it?

Back