Rose Kennedy Greenway

I don't really hate the design butI dohate the fact that it doesn't interact with Rowes Warf at all. Modernists don't take context into account which is why I usually detest them.

I honestly don't care if this gets built or not.

img_full.jpg

If something were built on the other side of the arch the building could help form a square that framed it symmetrically.

I don't think that's possible, though, given the mandated view corridor down Broad Street. So instead, we get a building that looks haphazardly punked in front of the one structure that truly "fills out" the Greenway.

chumbolly said:
That design is pointless. Seriously, does its awkwardness serve any purpose?

I contend that Libeskind is the single worst architect to gain prominence in the past 50 years. He's a one trick pony, and it's a really shitty trick. This proposal looks like a giant double-wide in the midst of an F5 tornado -- truly awful. Someone call Shirley Kressel and Vivian Li!

Rowes Wharf obeys the rules of Boston contextualism, and though it's not my bag, I know people like it. Machado & Silvetti could have done something that has both an edgy integrity and a sense of context with this site (see the Honan Allston Library for details). If you wanted a big name, Steven Holl would have been my choice.

The wide concrete walkway along the westerly side of the Greenway in the right-hand photo is interesting. It looks to me like it serves to reserve a strip of the Greenway for a future two-track light rail line:

1184868850_6309.jpg

Looks like the pre-fab house the Three Stooges built in the "Sitter Downers".

I got a chance to walk through the new Fidelity Park in front of the Aquarium. I am very pleased with it....much better than I expected. The smaller trees were eliminated and the overall canopy of oaks is very cool and shady. The lighting is minimalistic and the cobblestones used for the walkways are flatter than typical stones, and so form a much smoother surface on which to walk. The benches are well placed (though there are not enough of them!) and the grade transition is handled in a pleasing manner.

The wide concrete walkway along the westerly side of the Greenway in the right-hand photo is interesting. It looks to me like it serves to reserve a strip of the Greenway for a future two-track light rail line

Intriguing notion, though the building parcels would likely be completely in the way. That plus I do like the idea of a formal allee running some length of the parcels. It could be something like the Mall in Central Park:

LiteraryWalk-new.jpg

The wide concrete walkway along the westerly side of the Greenway in the right-hand photo is interesting. It looks to me like it serves to reserve a strip of the Greenway for a future two-track light rail line

That looks more like the top of the exit tunnel to me. Maybe they couldn't plant on there?

That's probably it. No matter how hard we dream there are no plans, probably never were any, to build light rail along the Greenway. I have talked to a few people who really tried to push for it but they all say it is too late for it. If light rail were to be built much of the Greenway would need to be redesigned, especially the traffic as any trolley would have to deal with traffic entering and exiting the highway. New traffic studies would need to be created which takes time, money, and most of all political will, which we seem to be in short supply of.

If light rail were to be built much of the Greenway would need to be redesigned, especially the traffic as any trolley would have to deal with traffic entering and exiting the highway. New traffic studies would need to be created which takes time, money, and most of all political will, which we seem to be in short supply of.

(breaks into song) Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

Blocked path to the Greenway
By Pasqua Scibelli | July 30, 2007

PICTURE THIS: At the entrance to the North End, between Faneuil Hall Marketplace and Christopher Columbus Park, a tiny and beautiful public park sits on parcel 13 for all to enjoy. At about a third of an acre, it's one of the smallest parcels on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

There are trees and benches, and a single jet of water at its center is surrounded by a stone labyrinth bordered by green grass. At the corner of the park, sitting atop a reflecting pool, is a 12-sided sculpture, reconfigured annually, its changing form representing the common immigrant experience of breaking apart from one's homeland and reshaping one's life in America.

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority publicly designated this parcel for the park's construction. In turn, the Armenian Heritage Foundation, a nonprofit organization, raised millions of dollars to endow a fund to construct and maintain the park in perpetuity and endowed a separate fund to support an annual lecture series on human rights with The Bostonian Society at Faneuil Hall.

But instead of a park, there's an ugly dust patch enclosed by a chain-link fence on that same site, waiting for political forces, seen and unseen, to redetermine this site's future.

Why?

For more than four years, the Armenian foundation has adhered to the public process set forth by the Turnpike Authority, the entity responsible for designating parcels on the Greenway. Despite this history, and in the face of the North End's overwhelming public support for this park, the Greenway Conservancy, the city's Artery Completion Task Force, and others are endeavoring -- at the 11th hour -- to block this park, for a curiously evolving set of reasons.

The project's opponents first tried to argue that no memorials of any kind should be constructed on the Greenway, as if memorials were some blight on our public spaces. It's a weak argument, at best, given that the Greenway itself is a memorial to Rose Kennedy, and we believe that memorials at the Chinatown end of the Greenway have already breached that line. In any event, their argument failed because, as the site's design makes clear, this project is primarily a park, not a memorial.

Opponents also asserted that permitting this park's construction would "open the floodgates" to other groups seeking to erect memorials on the Greenway. This argument also failed to gain traction: The foundation is not seeking to erect a memorial on an existing park parcel but, rather, trying to build a public park.

The park includes a small memorial component -- a modest-sized plaque will commemorate the Armenians who perished in the 1915 genocide and those victims of all genocides that follow. The American immigrant experience is one of diversity, and recognizing this diversity only strengthens us. The historical fact of genocide reminds us that the more we celebrate and memorialize our diversity and the more tolerant our world will become, the less likely we are to repeat that terrible history.

Only after the weaknesses of these arguments were exposed did opponents turn to a "process" argument to block the park's construction. Opponents claimed that the process preceding the Turnpike Authority's public designation of the site for the foundation was inadequate. It was a strange plea, since a number of these opponents had met with foundation sponsors in late 2005 and raised no concerns over process. This was made clear during the last community meeting in the North End, where supportive comments far outweighed opposing ones.

Now, after much political and legal wrangling initiated by the completion task force, project opponents have succeeded in persuading the state Executive Office of Environmental Affairs that the Turnpike Authority's process was inadequate. The office has called for an "expedited process" for this parcel, giving "fair consideration" to the good faith efforts for years in following the Turnpike Authority's process.

Having endured two decades of disruptive Big Dig construction, the North End deserves to enjoy this fully funded and beautiful park, a gift to Boston and to the Commonwealth. Whatever "expedited" process unfolds should unfold quickly, without delay to this project's construction.

Pasqua Scibelli is vice president of the North End/Waterfront Residents Association and a North End resident.

This designation was pure politics -- Massachusetts at its best.

According to the state records, the Armenian Heritage Tribute and Genocide Memorial Foundation was given exempt status in April 2005, and did not exist as a legal entity before that time.

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority Chairman Matthew J. Amorello officially announced the designation of Parcel 13 on Boston's Rose Kennedy Greenway to the Armenian Heritage Tribute and Genocide Memorial Foundation on Friday, April 8, 2005 at Clark University. He was joined by Jordan Levy, Vice Chairman of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and former Worcester Mayor, who spoke of the importance of this designation in commemoration of the Armenian Genocide and in celebration of the Armenian heritage and contributions of immigrant Armenian-Americans to Massachusetts.
The Armenian Reporter

Now why would the Chairman of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority go out to Worcester on a Friday and make a designation announcement for the Greenway to an organization that was newly established?

This is an article from "landscape architecture" 8/07
I couldn't find it on the we-site, so I typed the whole thing in...don't ask me why.

In the Perspective section of Landscape Architecture

ACCIDENTAL PARKS
Cities are creating open space from urban remnants.
But can remnants effectively bind the city together?

By Peter Gisolfi, ALSA

Cities are more and more often developing new parks from leftover bits of land. Granted, these cities are almost completely developed, so there is little land left over for parks. Nevertheless, the current park model is very different from the grand urban visions of the past, when land for parks was deliberately set aside in the city plan.

The earliest city plans, which are still celebrated, placed the main open space at the center. Examples are the cities of Boston and New Haven Connecticut, where the town surrounds a green or a common. More elaborate plans include the systematic integration of multiple greens withing gridded plans, such as those found in Philadelphia and Savannah Georgia. In the second half of the 19th century, the parks movement embraced a grander vision. Central Park in Manhattan, Prospect Park in Brooklyn, and the Boston Park system were created with ambitious social and environmental objectives in mind. The reformers believed intensely that bringing the pastoral beauty of the countryside to growing cities would remedy the social ills brought by the Industrial Revolution and teeming immigrant populations.

After the World?s Columbian Exposition in 1893, the city beautiful movement focused on transforming existing cities in a manner similar to Baron Georges-Eugene Haussmann?s interventions in Paris. From that movement came the great boulevards we continue to recognize today-Mosholu Parkway in the Bronx, Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, Commonwealth Avenue in Boston, and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia. The purpose of these boulevards was not only to bring green space to the city core, but also to transform the city plan by creating new processional connections.

After World War II, the greatest urban open space intervention in America unwittingly turned out to be the Interstate Highway System. No matter what we think about the urban renewal efforts of that era, the construction of interstate highways through and around major cities was one of the most significant events. Picture Hartford, Connecticut, split by I-84; New Haven, Connecticut, cut off from Long Island Sound by I-95; I-90 intersecting Commonwealth Avenue in Boston; or I-5 on two levels at the edge of Puget Sound in Seattle. These were the great open-space initiatives of the 1950s and 1960s, even if they did not produce green space. Swaths of asphalt cut through the existing urban fabric to create the largest continuous open-space systems in the history of American cities.

What are we doing now to create open space? By necessity, we are focusing on remnants from previously used land within the city. But does this method of selecting open space bind the city together?
New Parks on Remnants
Three projects are prime examples of the way parks are being sited today. They all are major, long-term commitments to open space development, and they are similar in that they are all being built on transportation remnants from a previous age.

In the center of Downtown Boston, the central Artery/Tunnel Project, familiarly known as the Big Dig, replaced an elevated high-way with an underground expressway directly beneath the preexisting road. This created many acres of open land for the creation of future parks and public plazas. Of the 27 downtown acres on the footprint of the old elevated highway, 75 percent are reserved for open space. At issue is not the tearing down of the elevated highway. That undertaking is splendid. The concern is how to treat the remnant. At present, the footprint of the old Central artery remains clearly visible in the urban landscape of downtown Boston. It has become a wide, winding boulevard with a central green mall, which in theory would benefit the city?s residents. However, the space is out of scale with the adjacent streets and buildings.

Similarly questionable is the High Line, constructed in the 1930?s as an elevated railroad line through the Lower West Side of Manhattan. The railroad was abandoned more that a quarter century ago, but the steel structure supporting it, although deteriorating, is still standing. Friends of the High Line, a private organization, lobbied against removing the elevated structure. New York City purchased the site, and a design competition, hosted by the Friends group, produced a plan for a greenway, similar to the Promenade Plantee in Paris. The city has promised to invest $50 million to restore a one-and ?a-half mile section of the line and turn it into an elevated urban park. Construction began in spring 2006. As first steps, workers are shoring up the old rusting structure and tearing out the rails. The city has decided to build a park above street level, to ber supported forever by a steel structure more than 70 years old.

A third park, the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary, is located on a 27-acre site near the Mississippi River, near downtown St. Paul, Minnesota. In the 1850s, settlers established a brewery on the site, and later, a portion was converted to a train yard. The original natural landscape was destroyed to create a place for transportation (the railroad) and industry (the brewery). This type of construction is typical of 19th ?and 20th-century urbanization. Both enterprises had been abandoned by the 1970s, and the area became an illegal dumping ground.

Transforming the polluted, industrial remnant was a 10-year effort initiated by community members organized as the Lower Phalen Creek Project. It involved the City of St. Paul, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the National Park Service, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and about 25 civic and environmental groups, including the Dakota Indians. The actual construction took about three years.

The park is an elongated landscape defined on the south by the railroad, which rune parallel to the Mississippi and separates the park form the river. The park design is primarily and ecological restoration of the site. A groundwater-fed stream and three wetlands that total two and a half acres were reconstructed, and 1.4 miles of local and regional trails were built. The site also includes rare swamps and four acres of bluff prairie. Similar to Gas Works Park in Seattle, which preserves remnants that memorialize its industrial past, the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary has retained remnants of its rail and brewing operations. Although the park was open to visitors in 2005, work continues. The new bicycle path, which will connect to a web of city and suburban trails, is scheduled to open this summer.

The configuration and edge conditions of the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary illustrate the dilemma faced in creating parks from remnants. These parks often will be works in progress as we wrestle with the question of how much of our riverfronts must be dedicated to transportation systems. In this particular case, the park does not extend to the edge of the Mississippi, although a proposed pedestrian bridge over the street and railroad will provide a tenuous connection to the river.

Observations
In looking at these three remnants, I am struck by the fact that all three are linear elements. One, a railroad yard at grade along the Mississippi; the second, the footprint of an elevated highway cutting through Boston; and the third, and elevated railroad parallel to the Hudson River in lower Manhattan. Once the transportation or industrial remnant no longer serves its original purpose and is to be demolished or transformed, does the city plan necessarily require a linear open space? This question raises important issues:

Location Is there something inherent in a particular city plan that suggests a rational location for new open space-or is the only criterion that a particular remnant is available? The St. Paul example, adjacent to the Mississippi waterfront, seems to be a natural place for a public park, even though it is cut off from the river. The argument in favor of a park in this location is made more compelling by the fact that a stream and wetlands were previously destroyed and now have been restored. In the idealized view of how cities might develop, we hope that the natural infrastructure of streams, wetlands, and steep slopes-those places that are inhospitable to urbanization-will be preserved in their natural stats. The locations for the other two examples-the Big Dig and the High Line-are more debatable. Perhaps the High Line is superfluous or would have been better located at grade. The Central Artery footprint at the Big Dig might better be used for smaller segments of open space.

Connections The original town plans that were integrated with open space used open space as connectors. Boulevards and parkways were designed to be links in a system of urban open space. The Benjamin Franklin Parkway, for example, connects two of the original five squares in Philadelphia to the city?s art museum and to Fairmont Park beyond. None of the three parks discussed make such connections. The alignment of the Central Artery portion of the Big Dig does not create major urban connections along it?s length, although it does allow for connections that are perpendicular to that alignment. The High Line does not connect any larger elements of the city fabric. Eventually, the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary might become part of a connected system, but it is compromised by the remaining railroad and roadway, which define a significant portion of its perimeter.

The Place of the Natural Landscape in the City When American cities were first constructed, much of what was naturally there was destroyed. Streams became storm sewers, and waterfronts became industrial sites, railroads, and highways. Only rarely were natural features preserved. (A notable exception is the city of Boston, where Frederick Law Olmsted worked with natural features and processional elements to create a linear, interconnected urban park system that complemented the overall plan of the city.) In Manhattan, the escarpments of Morningside Park and St. Nicholas Park survived simply because they were too steep to serve as construction sites. But do the original natural features, such as stream-beds, floodplains, and steep slopes, still provide clues to where open space might best be located? Do the remnants discussed here correspond in any way to that idea or to the idea of celebrating and connecting important natural features? Certainly the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary restores a natural landscape and is parallel to the most important natural feature in St. Paul-the Mississippi River. It can be argued that the views from the High Line to the Hudson will be spectacular, even though nothing natural is being preserved or restored. The Central Artery portion of the Big Dig can make no claim to restoring, celebrating, or connecting natural features.
Granted, it is extremely difficult to implement major urban projects, but can we be visionary? Can we design significant open space systems in American cities? Or will we continue to create open space randomly as a result of the efforts of individual groups that lobby to transform specific remnants? The most important urban connections to be made in Boston are perpendicular to the alignment of the demolished highway, making the memorialization of the highway right-of-way seem arbitrary. In the case of the High Line, I think we are being driven by transportation-remnant nostalgia and economic opportunity for property owners immediately adjacent to the elevated railroad line. Perhaps the public open space of the city belongs at grade-a topic that was debated extensively in the 1960s and 1970s. All of this brings to mind the point made earlier that linear connections should either preserve or restore the natural infrastructure or make important connections within the overall city open space plan.

Future open space in existing cities will be idiosyncratic, derived predominantly from industrial and transportation remnants. Even though new open space created from remnants seems haphazard, I believe we can choose to build it in a way that supports or reinforces the overall city plan. In Boston, Olmsted created episodic parks and open spaces, keeping in mind that smaller projects to come always would be part of the grand plan.

I ask our planners, landscape architects, politicians, and advocacy groups to be modern-day Olmsteds-to be visionaries who can plan episodic open space without losing sight of its potential within the larger system. Be stewards of the big picture. Keep in mind the plan of the city, the overall configuration of open space, the potential of new open space to create connections within the urban fabric, the value of a system that serves human needs, and the importance of restoring and linking to the underlying natural landscape

^Paragraph 6 begins to concern itself directly w/the greenway

I agree with the article:

- The Rose Kennedy Greenway (RKG) goes from nowhere to nowhere, not connecting anything of significance.

- "The Central Artery footprint at the Big Dig might better be used for smaller segments of open space."

- The RKG is much too wide, completely out of scale with the surrounding cityscape.

- The RKG perpetuates the wide linear scar through the center of the city, created originally by the old Central Artery.

I'm not sure I'd call Chinatown, South Station, Long Wharf, Quincy Market, Haymarket, and the North End "nowhere" or places of no "significance".

I was going to say...isn't the connection between North and South Stations (er, more or less)?

Just because the Greenway abuts those things doesn't mean it provides a meaningful connection between them.

From the article:

"The alignment of the Central Artery portion of the Big Dig does not create major urban connections along it?s length, although it does allow for connections that are perpendicular to that alignment."

Back