Rose Kennedy Greenway

I always thought that a road should have been built up the middle of the green way with parks on either side (a total of 4 lanes). The pictures make it not look so bad. Facing northward on the green way, the view will look rather nice once the parcels in front of the garden are developed.

20070804-a1-080.jpg

20070804-c1-121.jpg

It looks like third-rate country club landscaping. No wonder there's been no hue and cry: the mutual fund managers in the Financial District must love it. "No need to move to that office park in Billerica to be closer to the links now, boys! Just throw on your Lacoste polos and we'll get in nine down on the Golfway."

Well, I mean, it's wide enough. And the greens fees would pay for the upkeep. Did anyone say public/private partnership?

Seriously...why oh why couldn't Boston have built a ramblas? With light rail? I could have drawn it on a napkin and mailed it to Menino and we'd have had a better vision for this thing.

Padre Mike said:
Thank you Stellarfun and Statler for the conversation too. Your points are very well taken. Unfortunately, when the money for the Big Dig was put on the table via federal funding, there was a rush to get the grand engineering done. The "big picture" for the greenway was left vague in the hope that someone would see reason and the need for truly professional envisioning of the details. The "someone" never materialized and we have the present plan that is being executed piecemeal. The same has been true of the City Hall Plaza initiatives and the Winthrop Sq. tower "competition" that resulted in only one proposal. I think that the state should have come up with the lion's share of funding for the RKG, inasmuch as the state was responsible for tearing down the original fabric of Boston along the route of the expressway, and the building of the artery. Yet, hasn't the Commonwealth been playing fast and furious with the reports of our phantom tax surplus (thank you Mitt).

It is clear that the city can't (won't) come up with even a fifth of the cost of Millennium Park to enhance the RKG. (We have to grant here that Boston proper is a tiny city compared with Chicago, which I imagine has a much larger tax base and has always had a blustery will to be the "First City" of the Midwest). Since the 1960's, Boston, out of a misplaced sense of desperation for the development "crumbs" thrown its way, has given away the store over and over again, if not with tax loopholes, then with allowing mediocre architecture and design.

Politics and grossly poor taste, has governed much of Boston's development in the past 40 years (e.g.: the crazy idea that the Hort. Society should be given acres on which to build, when they had been forced, for financial reasons, to sell their headquarters on Mass. Ave.; the continuing saga regarding the Armenian genocide memorial garden; and formerly: the ugly statue of Columbus so prominent in the Harbor Park; the truly hideous display on Wash. St. memorializing the Irish famine (thank you Mr. Flatley); the fact that Kevin White himself had the right to choose the facade material and color of One Financial Place in Dewey Sq.; the delightful "Darth Vader" building in the Back Bay; the first redo of Copley Bunker ( er...Square); practically all of Philip Johnson's (R.I.P.)architectural designs in Boston; etc. ad nauseum).

Amen, padre.

Several years ago, Robert Campbell wrote a series of essays on major new landscaping and design initiatives elsewhere. Here is a link to the one on Promenade Plantee in Paris. The Promenade is an exquisite gem, but Campbell minimizes the Viaduc des Arts, on which part of the Promenade is built. Replicating even part of the Viaduc/Promenade in Boston would create a bigger wall than the Central Artery ever was.
http://www.boston.com/beyond_bigdig/cases/paris/index.shtml

Here is Campbell's take on the Ramblas.
http://www.boston.com/beyond_bigdig/cases/barcelona/index.shtml

Apropos: I visited the Promenade Plantee/Viaduc des Arts when I was in Paris a couple weeks ago...it wasn't all it's cracked up to be. The sidewalk in front of the shops (mostly high end designer furniture places) was deserted compared to the more typical Parisian tableau across the street. Access points to the park above were difficult to locate and poorly maintained. The park up above consists almost exclusively of tall shrubs - it's screams "perfect place to commit a random crime". It would have been nice if more were made of the viaduct's height to allow for outward views, too.

Many Paris buildings feature retail and commercial on the first floor and apartments on the upper floors. Part of the reason for the dense plantings atop the Viaduc is to try and provide some privacy to upper story apartments which are now 'street level'. If the Plantee were in Amsterdam, I'm sure such apartments would have become high rent for the 'ladies in the windows'.

0625.jpg

0625b.jpg

0625c.jpg

0625e.jpg

The Globe said:
Deadlines pass, but Greenway's completion date still in limbo
By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | August 8, 2007

With several deadlines for the opening of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway passed, the private group and the government agency overseeing and building the project said yesterday they still do not know when it will be completed.

Officials of the Greenway Conservancy, who are assuming responsibility for maintenance and oversight of the parks, said yesterday the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, which is constructing them, has been making progress. But neither the conservancy nor the authority would commit to a new opening date.

"There is not an absolute date set yet," said Linda Jonash, the conservancy's director of design and construction.

Turnpike spokesman Mac Daniel said the authority was "unable to provide a schedule," but that there were upcoming "windows of opportunity" for opening each separate block of the parkland in coming months.

"It's foolhardy to think that anything is going to happen on time on the surface -- it didn't happen in the tunnel," scoffed Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

He added "the core of the problem" is that neither the conservancy nor the Turnpike Authority has a clear mandate to lead the project.

"The turnpike is supposed to finish it," Menino said. "Who is going to keep them on schedule? Nobody."

A year ago, turnpike officials said the parks, which run between Causeway and Kneeland streets, would be open by this month.

Yesterday, Jonash told the monthly meeting of the conservancy board that security, lighting, and irrigation issues still have to be worked out. "There are so many pieces," she said.

Conservancy officials said they still expect all the parks to open by the end of this year. But when pressed about the lack of a firm opening schedule, Peter Meade, chairman of the conservancy's board, told a reporter, "You're asking some of the same questions we are."

The conservancy held its first major event July 22, a "Family Festa Picnic" on the anniversary of the birth of Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, after whom the Greenway is named. The event was held mostly on Christopher Columbus Park, adjacent to the Greenway.

Meade called the event a "great success" and said about 6,000 people attended, some from far outside of Boston.

Work continued yesterday, with laborers laying sod and planting shrubs and trees along the seven blocks of Greenway parks.

Temporary landscaping is being installed on six blocks where cultural institutions plan to build facilities in several years.

But conservancy officials said that irrigation systems are not working on most of the Greenway.

On the block between India and High streets, "The irrigation system has not been hooked up, but is in the process as we speak," Jonash said.

On the block in front of the Boston Harbor Hotel, grass seed has been planted. But the turnpike spokesman, Daniel, said yesterday that it will be so long before the New Center for Arts and Culture builds on that block that the authority plans to spend $60,000 to rip up the ground, install an irrigation system, and lay sod to cover the ground until construction on the arts center starts.

The North End parks had been scheduled to open in late 2006, with Chinatown's large park opening about six months later.

The four large Wharf District blocks were set to open this summer -- with the whole corridor to be available to the public by this month.

The Chinatown park and one of the two North End parks, Daniel said, would be first, with the "window" for a possible opening beginning at the end of this month.

Asked how long that window would last, he said, "I'm not sure. There's still some work to do."

The "windows of opportunity" for the opening of other parks start in mid-September and run through the end of October, Daniel said.

A formal inaugural event for the Greenway is planned for fall of 2008.

Thomas C. Palmer Jr. can be reached at tpalmer@globe.com.
Link
On the block in front of the Boston Harbor Hotel, grass seed has been planted. But the turnpike spokesman, Daniel, said yesterday that it will be so long before the New Center for Arts and Culture builds on that block that the authority plans to spend $60,000 to rip up the ground, install an irrigation system, and lay sod to cover the ground until construction on the arts center starts.
wall.gif

The Globe said:
Greenway gets an operations director

Officials of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy have hired a former Big Dig executive, Steven D. Anderson, to be operations director for the new corridor of downtown Boston parks.

Anderson was an engineering and architectural manager for 16 years at Parsons Brinckerhoff Quade & Douglas Inc., which with Bechtel Corp. jointly managed the $14.6 billion highway and tunnel project.

He will be paid $104,000 a year and will supervise a staff of up to 25 people.

The conservancy, a private group, assumes responsibility for horticulture, maintenance, and security in the parks, which may be complete by year?s end.
(By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe staff)
Posted by Boston Globe Business Team at 06:19 PM
Link

czsz said:
It looks like third-rate country club landscaping. No wonder there's been no hue and cry: the mutual fund managers in the Financial District must love it. "No need to move to that office park in Billerica to be closer to the links now, boys! Just throw on your Lacoste polos and we'll get in nine down on the Golfway.

A practice putting green somewhere around International Place might actually liven things up a bit during the workweek.

New name

Okay, let me be the first to suggest that instead of being called the Rose Kennedy Greenway, it should be called the Rose Kennedy Parkway.

There are six lanes of traffic there, people!!!!!!

Re: New name

JimboJones said:
Okay, let me be the first to suggest that instead of being called the Rose Kennedy Greenway, it should be called the Rose Kennedy Parkway.

There are six lanes of traffic there, people!!!!!!

Can't we just call it ATLANTIC AVENUE?

No, since Atlantic Avenue is entirely separate from the Greenway in two different places -- north of Christopher Columbus Park, and south of South Station.

I don't care what you all say, I really like the Greenway. The putting green idea is actually really great.

I'm also all for kmp's putting green idea. It seems like a natural fit for the area, and it'd definitely give my courier buddies and I something to watch when we have some downtime.

Actually, nevermind that last part. There's too many girls walking by to want to watch anything else :twisted:

good one kz. maybe glass slipper can move to the greenway, and the dainty dot tower thing gets built. everyones happy, club owners, developers, us, you courier buds...

kennedy said:
good one kz. maybe glass slipper can move to the greenway

Haha that sounds like fun to me! I know there are plenty of lawyers/I-bankers/fund managers ect. that would use both facilities like crazy.

The Greenbackway should just be surrendered to golfing i-bankers wholesale. Stretches of it will probably only be used by their lunching underlings and street bums anyway. A well-hit drive could either be an easy downsizing tool or a public-private partnership action to "clean up the city".

The Greenway can be saved, I tell you it can.

In my opinion, the corridor should be to developed as streets and buildings. The dual roadways should be eliminated where possible to reduce the north-south corridor effect, and a continuation of the adjoining street grid and building density should be established. Here is what I would do (proposed streets = red, building parcels = yellow, open space = green):
rkg_n.jpg

rkg_s.jpg

Back