Rose Kennedy Greenway

I made it back to Boston a few weeks ago and was blown away by how vibrant the Greenway area has become. It's not perfect, but when I left Boston in 2011 it was a essentially a wasteland down there. I'm very excited to see how this area continues to progress as more development takes place.

I made it back to Boston a few weeks ago and was blown away by how vibrant the Greenway area has become. It's not perfect, but when I left Boston in 2011 it was a essentially a wasteland down there. I'm very excited to see how this area continues to progress as more development takes place.

You should move back here so you can too become jaded to the point on being able to crap on things that are in general improvements.

cca

Good to see the crescent area of that ramp parcel being put to some recreational use... Still I am thinking Ferris Wheel for this location.

Agreed, but it would be nice for something a bit more permanent on the spot. As much as I hate that London Eye duplicates are a thing, I agree that this spot is a really good spot for one. You'd get a great view of Faneuil Hall, North End, Waterfront and Financial District. A lot of iconic Boston sites from one location. I'm not sure what the engineering requirements would be. Enclosed capsules with windows that open could make it a year-round destination too.

The Zipline wouldn't look so sad if it was more permanent. It just looks like a carnival ride at this point.

How about a larger zipline in the form of a gondola over the greenway from South Station to North Station? Get all the same views and a warm ride to your train.

Elevated transit is banned in Boston?!? Is that just based on the experience of the past, or is there something out there that actually bans it...?

The reality is there's not going to be transportation over top of the Greenway when the Greenway was created by tearing down transportation hanging over top of that land. And there are multiple reasons for this, not just the obvious "optics" reason.

How about a larger zipline in the form of a gondola over the greenway from South Station to North Station? Get all the same views and a warm ride to your train.

Not mutually exclusive with a Ferris Wheel, just have to go around it.

Agreed, but it would be nice for something a bit more permanent on the spot. As much as I hate that London Eye duplicates are a thing, I agree that this spot is a really good spot for one. You'd get a great view of Faneuil Hall, North End, Waterfront and Financial District. A lot of iconic Boston sites from one location. I'm not sure what the engineering requirements would be. Enclosed capsules with windows that open could make it a year-round destination too.

Permanent is what I was thinking. Something bigger than a temporary Ferris Wheel, whatever size is practical on the site. Probably not as big as the London Eye.

The reality is there's not going to be transportation over top of the Greenway when the Greenway was created by tearing down transportation hanging over top of that land. And there are multiple reasons for this, not just the obvious "optics" reason.

How about just an express bus? That would be perfectly fine, yes you'll have to deal with traffic, welcome to a major city!

I think the new stairway to nowhere being built at the Hudson Yards site in NYC could be a good type of permanent structure for this area. I know a lot of people don't really like it but i think it would make more sense on the greenway than HY.
This is it what it will look like
108522113_Heatherwick-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq5yQLQqeH37t50SCyM4-zeGtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpg

Was on the greenway last night. The beer garden was packed. The entire greenway is buzzing except around & behind the harbor towers area.

Can somebody please tell me what those 4 metal objects are behind the towers and the pool. A memorial or symbol of something?

IMAX is an absolute disaster also. Who really gave the green light for that to be approved should have their head examined.

The entire aquarium, harbor garage and harbor towers areas need to really do something to improve public access to the harbor. The only part of the greenway that looks so outdated it's a disgrace.

Last edited:

Back