Rose Kennedy Greenway

The city of Boston has sold this building and the building behind it to a private school:

150NorthStreet.jpg

Should add a bit more vibrancy to the North Street area of the Greenway as I've never seen this building in much use before.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2012/05/boston-sells-two-properties-for-11m.html

Under the terms of the deal, the North Bennet Street School will receive 150 North St. and 130-140 Richmond St., two surplus properties owned by the city. In exchange, the city will receive cash and four buildings, 37-39 North Bennet St. and 48-52 Tileston St. in the North End, from the North Bennet Street School.

That's the old Tunnel Authority building, right? I think it was most recently used as a police station.

That's the old Tunnel Authority building, right? I think it was most recently used as a police station.

Ron when you Google Map -- it come up as Boston Finance Commission

But anyway I was hoping the other lot (Richmond St.) mentioned in the story was the giant parking lot owned by the City of Boston located on the edge of the Greenway -- but no such luck -- that's actually is on Cross St.

Front of the building was used during the A-1 on Sudbury's renovation. Back was the City of Boston Printing Press Office. They've all been gone for a few years now.

They have great display windows in their current spot and did a quicky exhibit in the Old Corner Bookstore while it was waiting for Chipotle to move in. Hopefully they can figure out a way to do something similar in their new spot. It would be great for North St.

Currently houses a few remaining stragglers from District 6 of the MassDOT. They've been moving to their new diggs on Kneeland St, but it's taking forever. You can tell the Tunnel Authority Building was transient space though - there were people working from desks in hallways and weird setups like that.

EDIT: Just saw in the article that the City will be using the new land acquired in the swap to expand the Eliot K-8 school. This is a good thing. Eliot is one of the better performing public schools in the city. Anything that attracts more families and improves the school system in Boston is a positive in my book.

I'm not that familiar with everything that is going up in Boston, but I drove down today and noticed something going up next to the TD Garden as soon as you go below ground on 93. Does anyone know what this is?

How about a statue of Donna Summer? At least it would have a local connection, and she was a highly successful artist and composer.

I love this thing...serendipity on a rainy day.

Note the water exiting the pool via the little slot in the left-hand corner.

A design element most impressively featured when the fewest spectators will be there to see it.

You can call that serendipity if you like...

--

In the first picture, imagine the tourist trolley as an actual rail trolley, and a bit closer into the foreground - the Islands Pavilion would make an excellent LRT platform/shelter. This picture is a great indicator of what could have been.

A design element most impressively featured when the fewest spectators will be there to see it.

In the first picture, imagine the tourist trolley as an actual rail trolley, and a bit closer into the foreground - the Islands Pavilion would make an excellent LRT platform/shelter. This picture is a great indicator of what could have been.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

You can call that serendipity if you like....

Mmm, yeah...God forbid that architects incorporate design elements that account for weather other than 75 degrees and sunny.

Mmm, yeah...God forbid that architects incorporate design elements that account for weather other than 75 degrees and sunny.

I also love the way Utile created the drainage waterfall. Great pictures of it in action! The spirit of Corbu is alive and well!

2r28879.jpg

(Couvent de la Tourette)

--

Shep -- if the trolley is in the street it would be stuck in the same traffic as a bus -- what's the advantage -- indeed the bus can maneuver around a stopped vehicle

If the trolley runs down the middle of the Greenway -- do you have a fenced ROW -- not very pedestrian friendly. If you don't have a limited access ROW -- tourists, kids, etc wil block the travel so frequently that it would be much faster to walk

No -- thet LRV on the Geenway is an idea whose time fortunately never came. The Greenway will be perfectly fine as soon as near by streets are redeveloped to readjust the surrounding buildings to accomodate the potential for pedestrians and recreationers.

Let's see how the Palm on the Greenway does.

I'm not necessarily a fan of a trolley on the Greenway, but I would like to point out that many trolley/tram systems run through mixed pedestrian areas with no problem at all.

And also I would like to point out that there are really very few tourists and kids on most of the Greenway, other than the North End Park section. It's largely empty most of the time except for people on their way back and forth to South Station.

I'm not necessarily a fan of a trolley on the Greenway, but I would like to point out that many trolley/tram systems run through mixed pedestrian areas with no problem at all.

And also I would like to point out that there are really very few tourists and kids on most of the Greenway, other than the North End Park section. It's largely empty most of the time except for people on their way back and forth to South Station.

Mathew -- that might be true now -- certainly on cloudy, coolish days mid week -- but if what the proponents claim to be the outcome from installing such a trolley -- it would have to be very busy -- else why bother

If there were lots of people and lots of LRV's the mix would either require very slow speed for the LRV's or a lot of delays due to crossing and gates or a lot of accidents

So as I posted -- why bother with an LRV down the Greenway?

Back