Roslindale Infill and Small Developments

There is, it's tiny though (974 sqft).
Thanks, I missed that detail. And I agree with Dave. The kinds of businesses that do best in outer neighborhoods are smaller foot print (ie more affordable rent) spaces. We build far too much large format retail space that can then only be used by somebody with deep pockets.

Thanks, I missed that detail. And I agree with Dave. The kinds of businesses that do best in outer neighborhoods are smaller foot print (ie more affordable rent) spaces. We build far too much large format retail space that can then only be used by somebody with deep pockets.
I don’t understand how the city still fails to recognize this. Buildings in Jackson Sq, and Bruce Bolling building in Dudley/Nubian, and many others, suffer from overly large retain / restaurant spaces. For Rozzie, the new development on Belgrade across from Spike’s is a great addition, but it has what I anticipate will be a similar issue of having ground floor retail that’s too big.

The new building that’s going up on Belgrade close to the square is adding some very nice presence. I’m not sure if there’s going to be ground floor retail there, but I hope there will be.

I don’t understand how the city still fails to recognize this. Buildings in Jackson Sq, and Bruce Bolling building in Dudley/Nubian, and many others, suffer from overly large retain / restaurant spaces. For Rozzie, the new development on Belgrade across from Spike’s is a great addition, but it has what I anticipate will be a similar issue of having ground floor retail that’s too big.

The new building that’s going up on Belgrade close to the square is adding some very nice presence. I’m not sure if there’s going to be ground floor retail there, but I hope there will be.

Spikes? You mean Stash's (rip MJ's)? That end of Belgrade has always been a death sentence to retail (well, Belgrade in general, really).

New proposal for a 27 unit building on the corner of Hyde Park Ave. and Cantebury. Lots to like about this:

• just over half a parking space per unit
  • bike parking for each unit and up to 10 visitors
  • activates the one corner of that intersection currently missing from an otherwise thriving spot

Would like to see some first floor retail, but that's not critical, considering the other three corners already have commercial space. Adds housing, density... build it!

UHub Link

View attachment 21590

Is this the corner with the really super shady used car dealership ? If so, then nice. That retail space isn't bad - but it would be even better if they had multiple sub small retail spaces to full activate the street all the way around. Still, good project. Is the MBTA planning dedicated bus lanes on Hyde Park Ave to Forest Hills? If so even better for developments like this. Too bad even with Regional Rail that an infill here would be out of the question - would fill out rapid transit for Hyde Park nicely.

Spikes? You mean Stash's (rip MJ's)? That end of Belgrade has always been a death sentence to retail (well, Belgrade in general, really).
Brain fart!
Yeah.
If you go upthread, I wrote about how that corner once had a small movie theater. Hard to believe.
Belgrade should have protected bus lanes for morning and evening rush hours, that might get more humans out and about on the corridor.

Brain fart!
Yeah.
If you go upthread, I wrote about how that corner once had a small movie theater. Hard to believe.
Belgrade should have protected bus lanes for morning and evening rush hours, that might get more humans out and about on the corridor.
Belgrade Avenue in only a 2 lane street. Where will the bus lanes go? 🤔

Is this the corner with the really super shady used car dealership ? If so, then nice. That retail space isn't bad - but it would be even better if they had multiple sub small retail spaces to full activate the street all the way around. Still, good project. Is the MBTA planning dedicated bus lanes on Hyde Park Ave to Forest Hills? If so even better for developments like this. Too bad even with Regional Rail that an infill here would be out of the question - would fill out rapid transit for Hyde Park nicely.

Yes, that's the spot! My understanding is that the city and MBTA are in early planning stages for... some kind of improvement. It seems like an obvious candidate for a pop-up bus lane -- just get it done!

46 Belgrade.

Attachments

• C834D0EE-E913-46B0-A0AC-BBE3B45462A6.jpeg
    C834D0EE-E913-46B0-A0AC-BBE3B45462A6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
Wow, 46 Belgrade is really becoming quite a noticeable presence. I'm surprised every time I see it, not just by the construction progress, but by the overall size of the building.

There is a new proposal for a spot essentially across the street, currently occupied by a closed funeral home. Located at 59-63 Belgrade Ave., the proposal is for 31 units, with 23 below grade parking spots. I really like this. It visually looks like a modern take on townhouse constructions, yet internally, it's a multi unit apartment building.

59belgradeave.jpg

Universal Hub Article

Wow, 46 Belgrade is really becoming quite a noticeable presence. I'm surprised every time I see it, not just by the construction progress, but by the overall size of the building.

There is a new proposal for a spot essentially across the street, currently occupied by a closed funeral home. Located at 59-63 Belgrade Ave., the proposal is for 31 units, with 23 below grade parking spots. I really like this. It visually looks like a modern take on townhouse constructions, yet internally, it's a multi unit apartment building.

View attachment 22064

Universal Hub Article

Looks like nice brickwork!

Reactions: FK4

View attachment 22064

Universal Hub Article
Oh hell yes! I’ve been saying for years that the funeral home site would REALLY help close in this section of Belgrade, calm traffic, define/“make imageable”, and overall is the lot the development of which would improve things the most out of any around here.

When the Orange Line gets there, Rozzie Square will look and feel just like Davis. Hell, it may even happen in 10 years regardless of the T.
It is already populated with a lot of people who once lived in Davis Square, and moved to Rozzie when they wanted to have a family. Lot of former South Enders for the same reason, though they are more likely to go to JP. The Orange Line extension will really make the Square in to one of the more special neighborhoods in Boston (already is).

When the Orange Line gets there, Rozzie Square will look and feel just like Davis. Hell, it may even happen in 10 years regardless of the T.
I think the main thing that really holds Boston neighborhoods back from being as lively as Cambridge and Somerville is the longstanding restrictions on liquor licenses... even in JP which should be way more like Davis, eg, there just aren't that many sit down restaurants above the level of burrito/thai/pizza. And all the new licenses haven't seemed to really do much of anything yet. It might also just be a stronger antipathy to more thriving activity in Boston neighborhoods; but for whatever reason, other than Allston, Boston hoods are always deader on the restaurant and bar end of things than their equivalents across the river. I think despite all that Rozzie Sq is doing pretty well. I think it would be great if the zoning rules were changed to upzone everything from Healy Field to Walworth, and also the Square-ends of Cummins and Belgrade, for more height and street level commercial space.

CF4A0320-A9D9-4AD5-8104-CAD64F095CD6.jpeg

The addition of stop signs last year was an improvement to the intersection of South and Bussey… but I don’t understand why they didn’t narrow the intersection further. I also don’t understand why they did not put bicycle sharrows on South. I feel like in almost every instance, those are totally worthless and sometimes even more dangerous than not having them, but for that very narrow stretch of South, they are sorely needed. Yes, I know eventually there’s going to be a cycle track, but that’s years away. They could’ve just put down a little paint. Lastly, Bussey sees speeds of 40 or more. It needs a road diet.

Another apartment building rejected on Washington Street in Roslindale
washmosgrove.jpg

“The Zoning Board of Appeal today rejected a proposal to expand the Arboretum Grill building on Washington Street at Mosgrove Avenue by adding three more floors and 14 apartments, saying that while Washington Street in Roslindale could certainly do with more density, the specific proposal was just too dense.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/another-apartment-building-rejected-washington

Another apartment building rejected on Washington Street in Roslindale
washmosgrove.jpg

“The Zoning Board of Appeal today rejected a proposal to expand the Arboretum Grill building on Washington Street at Mosgrove Avenue by adding three more floors and 14 apartments, saying that while Washington Street in Roslindale could certainly do with more density, the specific proposal was just too dense.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/another-apartment-building-rejected-washington
Can these people be hanged? Literally, they are depraved, morally corrupt, and are contributing to suffering of poor people.

“Saying that while Washington Street in Roslindale could certainly do with more density, the specific proposal was just too dense.”

Not. In. My. Back. Yard

There needs to be a way to go over their head asap. When you multiply this dozens of times across every neighborhood… YOU END UP WITH A HOUSING CRISIS. The biggest problem is that by blocking these units, the future residents have no way of voicing their needs, because they dont even know they want to live there yet. This is why we need zoning to be at the state level.

Increasingly, this kind of NIMBYism is not reflective of attitudes among people who live in Roslindale. There was a visceral backlash to this rejection, and Walkup Roslindale even went as far as to pen an open letter to the Mayor demanding that the ZBA members whose terms have expired be replaced. It's really infuriating that they wield so much power, and that the Board Chair, who lives in Roslindale, is so overtly a NIMBY regarding any proposals in this neighborhood.

Back