Route 9 high rises eyed

Reaction score
Plan for Rte. 9 high-rises eyed
But wider effects of Rte. 9 plan eyed
By Megan Woolhouse, Globe Staff | June 17, 2007

A zoning change that has the backing of city officials would allow construction of two 14-story buildings along Route 9 at Chestnut Hill Square and open the possibility of construction of similar developments elsewhere in Newton.

The change is drawing criticism from an alderman who fears that the taller buildings will alter the city's character.

Currently, buildings in Newton are limited to eight stories, but only with a special permit granted by the Board of Aldermen. Most are limited to three stories.

Newton-based New England Development is seeking the zoning change, which has been under review by the city's Planning Department.

Earlier this week, City Planner Michael Kruse released his latest recommendations on the proposal to the city's Zoning and Planning Committee. They included:

Allowing the new building to reach up to 14 stories.

Requiring the developer to include above-ground garage space in its building height calculations.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/06/17/plan_for_rte_9_high_rises_eyed/

Requiring developers to study traffic problems one year after the new buildings reach occupancy.

Providing clearer rules for open space requirements.

The committee is scheduled to vote on the proposal at its June 25 meeting. If approved, it would go before the Board of Aldermen for consideration at its July 9 meeting.

Kruse said the only project currently affected by the zoning change is the Chestnut Hill Square project.

Other developers coming to the city could take advantage of the change, he said, but any proposal would have to receive a special permit from the aldermen.

He also said the zoning would be limited to certain parcels. First, it would apply only to areas zoned as Business 4 and Business 5, of which there are only about a dozen in the city.

The change would also only apply to projects on parcels 10 acres or larger.

"Practically speaking, you could say this amendment doesn't apply to any other part of the city right now," he said, though he acknowledged that it could one day be cited by developers looking to undertake similar projects.

New England Development has proposed building Chestnut Hill Square on 11.5 acres on Route 9 across the street from the Mall at Chestnut Hill. Plans call for two 14-story residential towers atop a two story parking garage, as well as a six-story residence nearby.

In all, the project would create 226 condominiums, some priced at $1 million. Additionally, the developer would build a block of two- and three-story retail buildings with a street down the middle and five floors of parking.

The state's secretary of environmental affairs granted approval of the project in January.

City officials have said it is expected to bring the city an estimated $2.9 million a year in taxes, money that could be used to repair and rehabilitate schools and other municipal buildings

New England Development has proposed building Chestnut Hill Square on 11.5 acres on Route 9 across the street from the Mall at Chestnut Hill.

Hmm, I'm going to assume the site is the mostly-deserted parking lot of the old Omni Foods?

Additionally, the developer would build a block of two- and three-story retail buildings with a street down the middle and five floors of parking.

Intriguing.

Increased density on Rte. 9 allows one to imagine some interesting possibilities: though it would never happen, I'd like to see Route 9 from Brookline Village to the Eliot T stop reconceived as a whole. It could be an urban boulevard in the mould of Beacon or Comm Ave, with increased D branch capacity and the Route 60 bus as a BRT...

14 stories isn't that bad, especially with similar buildings in Framingham and the like. So having a few high-rises sprinkled throughout the city or along a corridor is not going to change the character of the city. However, if past developments are any guide, it seems like it will be set back from the road with acres of parking around it. It's density without urbanity, but I wouldn't complain as it's in Newton, not the center city.

The angriest people on this one live in Brookline, on whose border this plot basically sits. Since the land is technically in Newton, the tax money comes here, but the traffic will mostly crop up on the streets surrounding the complex, Hammond Pond Parkway, and Rte. 9 East of the site (since I believe a left turn from 9W will be possible), all of which are in Brookline.

Very few Newton citizens actually live around the site, which is bordered on the south and west by commercial development.

Thus, the NIMBYs on this one have very little efficacy. That doesn't mean smooth sailing for this project, but it does make it a whole lot easier.

^Nice. Somehow this hyper-parochialism makes me gleeful.

It also makes me think that Boston needs to annex Cambridge, Brookline, Chelsea, Somerville, Newton and Watertown so that transportation and development policy can be focused on the whole metro area, like in NYC. Perhaps a real, metro-wide city government would also attract big-city caliber politicians instead of the bush league we've got.

Equilibria said:
The angriest people on this one live in Brookline, on whose border this plot basically sits. Since the land is technically in Newton, the tax money comes here, but the traffic will mostly crop up on the streets surrounding the complex, Hammond Pond Parkway, and Rte. 9 East of the site (since I believe a left turn from 9W will be possible), all of which are in Brookline.

Very few Newton citizens actually live around the site, which is bordered on the south and west by commercial development.

Thus, the NIMBYs on this one have very little efficacy. That doesn't mean smooth sailing for this project, but it does make it a whole lot easier.

Being from Brookline, I have heard all of these complaints and I am mostly sympathetic to them. Rt 9 is already clogged enough.

When NYC annexed its suburbs, Robert Moses despotically displaced their populations and ruined their neighborhoods to fulfill his vision of freeways that are largely clogged with traffic these days. I'll take my line at the stoplight, thanks.

(Not anything against Moses, he was a planning wiz, just slightly conscience-free)

I do see Brookline's point, but I have to side with the development. I think a lot of their concerns are based on what Rte. 9 is like now, just with the extra traffic, but the developer has agreed to improve and widen the road in conjunction with development, maybe even simultaneously. If that happens, the problem may be mitigated to an extent.

These prime lots shouldn't stay vacant. My only improvement on this plan would be to move it across the street where the context is better and rid ourselves of the useless Chestnut Hill Mall.

Yet another unnecessary lifestyle center....:(

img_siteplan.jpg

img_sitecontext.jpg

img_plan.jpg

img-rendering1.jpg

# Components:

* Lifestyle grocer totaling 40,000 square feet
* Retail/restaurant space totaling 191,000 square feet (55,000 square foot/22% reduction from the original development program)
* 226 Housing units

# Retail project orientation to Route 9
# 34 On-site affordable housing units

What a ridiculously large garage....

Last edited:
This site is much too long a walk from Chestnut Hill station to be a reasonable place for high-rises.

There's a highrise literally two doors down on Route 9...and the Chestnut Hill Mall residential towers are tucked away somewhere nearby.

The T station is a 15 minute walk if you're moving reasonably quick. Sure it's down the side of route 9, but at least at that stretch there's a sidewalk and a few lights to slow the traffic down. Don't quote me, but I seem to remember that the distance required by Mass law to qualify as a TOD is actually pretty far.

Last edited:
Perhaps they can/will run a shuttle bus to and from the station and the development?

I doubt it'll qualify for TOD or will generate much transit use on the Green Line. That hasn't precluded other highrise developments further away from the station, however.

Blast from the past. It's funny looking over these old threads and seeing things i said over 2 years ago.

Revised Chestnut Hill Square project back on table

By Dan Atkinson/Staff Writer
Wicked Local Newton

Newton ?

Plans for a major development along Route 9 are back on the table, but the Chestnut Hill Square project is being scaled back.

The project, at the site of the former Omni Foods along the Brookline border, could still take up more than 250,000 square feet.

New England Development Corp. recently presented tentative plans for the site at a meeting with Ward 7 aldermen and the Chestnut Hill Neighborhood Association, according to Alderman Ruthanne Fuller. She said the developer?s new plans call for an eight-story, 90-unit residential building instead of the 14-story, 226-unit building in the site?s 2007 plans.

The plan also includes about 100,000 square feet for retail stores and a restaurant, 30,000 square feet for a health club and 60,000 square feet for medical offices, Fuller said. And 50,000 square feet would be used for a grocery store to replace Omni Foods.

The company stopped working on the original proposal after the recession hurt the housing market in 2008, according to New England Development?s executive vice president, Douglass Karp.

New England Development has not yet submitted plans to the city. Contacted by the Newton TAB, Karp declined to comment on site specifics, such as whether the residential units would be condominiums or apartments. He did say New England Development had ?intent? to bring back a grocery store to the site.

?The neighbors expressed they?d really like to see a grocery store,? he said.

Karp said the project?s permits for changing Route 9 are still in effect and that he anticipated adhering to the original traffic mitigation plan. That would widen Route 9 and create left-turn lanes heading westbound, and create a traffic light and intersection leading into the site across from the entrance to Chestnut Hill Mall.

Fuller said the site?s entrance appeared to slightly offset from the Chestnut Hill Mall entrance, but otherwise the plans looked the same. But the developers are still weighing whether or not to have an entrance to the site?s shopping center from Florence Street, which borders the site to the south.

?That?s highly contentious among the Florence Street folks,? she said.

The city created a new zoning district ? Planned Multi-Use Business District ? in anticipation of the original Chestnut Hill Square, and the project will need a special permit and aldermanic approval to continue. But Karp said the new plan could be approved by special permit in the site?s existing BU-4 district, and New England Development may not need the PMBD after all.

?We?re trying to understand what the best zoning is to use for this project,? he said.

Karp was unsure how long the permitting process would take after developers submit their plans, but said he wanted to have shovels in the ground by early 2011. The economy is starting to turn around, he said, and the company wants to develop the long-fallow site.

?We think the timing is right, it?s a less dense site but we?re pretty excited about it,? Karp said.
Copyright 2010 Newton TAB. Some rights reserved

http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/n...ed-Chestnut-Hill-Square-project-back-on-table

A grocery store? really? There is a brand new Star Market less than a 1/4 mile from this site. If they do bring a grocery store back to this parcel, it should be a specialty store or something like a Trader Joes or Fresh Market (i.e. something a bit different than the full service market that is walking distance from this site). I always wondered whether a small hotel (perhaps 70-90 rooms) would be a good fit for this site in addition to housing and retail. I don't believe there are any other hotels in the immediate area and this site is about 2-3 miles from the BC campus so it could be convenient for folks from out of town visiting BC students. Perhaps most importantly, it would add some life to the area after 7pm when things get pretty dead in that part of town.

Trader Joe's would be OK, but I believe the initial renderings included a Whole Foods, which would be simply awful. The nearest TJ's to there is all the way up in West Newton/Newtonville, I believe.

People I know around the Newton Highlands/Newton Center area actually used the Omni Foods pretty heavily. The Star, as beautiful as it is now, is on the other side of Rte. 9 and is a bit of a headache to drive to from Newton. That quarter mile makes a significant impact.

I feel like if the Park Inn next door couldn't make it (though that might just be because of the 9/11 publicity), a hotel here might be a tough sell.

Some targeted improvements to sections of Route 9 could really raise the density and desirability of the corridor. Brookline Village to Brookline Hills is a disaster that needs a remake into an urban boulevard... the way the road effectively cuts off the south side from the nearby transit is inexcusable. The stretch from Brookline Hills to Hammond Street (Chestnut Hill) can stay as is, and could even be speeded up - nothing much on either side there other than high end auto-oriented residential. Then the stretch we're talking about here, from Hammond Street to the Atrium also needs a makeover, especially if we're bringing in new residential. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if once the upturn kicks into gear all the empty space surrounding the Chestnut Hill mall is filled in for highrise or townhouse developments similar to what we're discussing here.

Back