Route 9 high rises eyed

I feel like if the Park Inn next door couldn't make it (though that might just be because of the 9/11 publicity), a hotel here might be a tough sell.

the Park Inn/Swiss Chalet was not a hotel. It was a dump of a cheap MOtel. No families of BC students (or any other person looking for a half decent room) would ever stay at those dumps. I'm thinking a small, mid-level hotel such as a Hilton Garden Inn or Courtyard Marriott. There is nothing in this area (perhaps for a reason, I don't know).

This zoning change will only apply to this one project?! We really don't have zoning "laws." We have zoning citizen-placaters that exist until a developer with deep pockets and the right connections wants to develop a site and then gets to build it.

mini legacy place?

CHS_PedestrianCirculation.png

http://newtonstreets.blogspot.com/2010/10/chs-pedestrian-plan-on-neds-terms.html

Does anyone think that a frequent shuttle service from Chestnut Hill Station serving all the malls/shopping centers and residential developments along route 9 between there and Langley Road would attract riders and make this area more transit accessible?

Without springing for underground parking, it's hard to see how any development on auto-oriented Route 9 could forgo large surface parking lots.

Do you mean like Bus 60? It practically connects this part of Rte. 9 with the Chestnut Hill D Line station.

60 doesn't go to Chestnut Hill station , it goes to Brookline Village and Kenmore. (Which makes it a much longer and slower route than the shuttle that Shepard suggests.)

What Route 9 really needs is to be made more like Beacon Street or Comm. Ave., with crosswalks every block and no barrier or fence in the middle.

Brookline and Newton would never allow that. It would make the trip out to 128 unbearably long.

(of course, I personally think it's a great idea)

Rte. 60 doesn't terminate at Chestnut Hill station or stop at it directly, but if you get out at the corner of Hammond St. it's no more than a two block, five minute walk.

That looks like a lot of retail. I wonder what they have in mind. I think a Target might do well at this site but the traffic in the area is already unbearable between 8:00-10:00am and 3:00-6:30PM. Also, perhaps it is time for a new movie theater in this part of town. The Chestnut Hill cinema is pretty bad and needs a wrecking ball stat. Also with the closing of Circle Cinema there isn't much else in the area. But again, traffic would be nuts.

If they retain the existing B&N and Milton's and replace the old supermarket, that only leaves one new retail building.

From Florence St.
20120105134007513.jpg

New construction on Florence st.

20120105133914125.jpg

Meanwhile, Boston Business Journal is reporting that the Atrium is losing yet more tenants, dropping the occupancy rate below 50%

Meanwhile, Boston Business Journal is reporting that the Atrium is losing yet more tenants, dropping the occupancy rate below 50%

I remember some of us discussing Atrium in the retail thread. It's time to convert the upper floors into offices or condos and keep the restaurants and parking.

The Route 9 and Florence street stripmall discussed in a few recent comments will contain a Wegman's supermarket.

I remember some of us discussing Atrium in the retail thread. It's time to convert the upper floors into offices or condos and keep the restaurants and parking.

I like this idea because I work at the Bertuccis there and the level of vacancy is amazing. There are more empty storefronts and closings than there are open stores.

New movie theater may debut in old Macy’s site on Route 9 in Newton
By Scott Van Voorhis
Globe Correspondent / January 15, 2012
E-mail|Print|Reprints|Comments (0) Text size – +

Newton’s shuttered Macy’s building may soon be coming back to life, this time as a high-end movie house.

Development has begun removing asbestos from the former store at the Chestnut Hill Shopping Center on Route 9 and plans to begin full-scale construction as soon as next month, said Dick Marks, an executive vice president and a partner at the firm.

However, the opening of the new theater would eventually trigger the closing of AMC’s five-screen cinema complex, since there is room for only one theater in the shopping center, Marks explained.

The decision to move forward comes as WS Development finalizes a lease with a theater company to move into the renovated Macy’s building.

The new theater is slated to open by the spring of 2013, Marks said. He declined to name the operator until the deal is complete.

The redevelopment of the site, which has been empty since Macy’s pulled out early last year, would kick into high gear a now years-long, $50 million effort by Newton-based WS to revitalize the aging shopping center.

Legacy Place in Dedham, one of WS’s showcase projects, is a model for what the developer hopes to accomplish with its remake of the shopping center, Marks said.

“We are taking what really was a 1960s-era shopping center and converting it to a pedestrian-friendly place where shoppers want to be,’’ he said.

The remake of the shopping center takes place as New England Development prepares to turn the old Omni Foods plaza on the other side of Route 9 into a retail, restaurant, and medical office complex called Chestnut Hill Square. It will be anchored by a Wegmans.

Since buying the center in 2002, WS has spent much of the past decade laying the groundwork for a major revamp, putting in a larger Star Market in 2008 and renovating a small strip of stores.

Now the developer is poised to step up the center’s transformation with the redevelopment of two of the complex’s biggest blocks of retail space.

The new movie venue would feature seven theaters of 100 seats each, Marks said. Moviegoers would be able to order dinner from their seats.

The building would also include a health club, a lease for which is also in the final stages, Marks said. The health club, as well as the theater, would go on the second floor, which has 80,000 square feet.

The first floor, which has about 40,000 square feet of space, would feature a mix of restaurants and retail shops.

“I think they are ready to move ahead,’’ said Candace Havens, Newton’s planning and development director. “It’s the next piece of the upgrade.’’

By fall, work should begin on a second project, which would replace the current City Sports building with a three-story office building that would include space for WS’s new corporate headquarters. City Sports and Century Bank, the building’s current tenants, would be relocated within the shopping center, Marks said.

There are also plans to create more of a welcoming façade and new landscaping around the complex, including what is now clearly the back end of the center, facing toward Route 9. “There is not going to be a back anymore,’’ Marks said.

Still, the final piece of the shopping center’s renovation won’t come until the new cinema opens and the current AMC complex closes. Asked about the theater’s closing, an AMC spokesman declined to comment.

Scott Van Voorhis can be reached at sbvanvoorhis@hotmail.com

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/broo...debut_in_old_macys_site_on_route_9_in_newton/

Back