Roux Institute Campus Development | Portland

Intelligent people can make mistakes too (Elon Musk with Twitter). They simply rushed into this. But I doubt anything will change because that's what Man does (protecting his ego).

Intelligent people can make mistakes too (Elon Musk with Twitter). They simply rushed into this. But I doubt anything will change because that's what Man does (protecting his ego).

Only if we assume Musk is, in fact, intelligent and not just the inheriter of gem mine wealth from his family that he chose to use to buy into Tesla early.

Last edited:
1675266339678.png

Here is the rendering the general contractor is using for bid invites. This is the Initiative for Digital Education and Life Sciences (IDEALS) building with the bean factory in the background.

Where did you find this? When is the due date bids? I'm wondering how aggressively they're going to move forward with site plans once they get the City Council's blessing for the IZ overlay/

If they're accepting subcontractor bids...they must be hoping to break ground within a year.

Last edited:
When is the due date bids? I'm wondering how aggressively they're going to move forward with site plans once they get the City Council's blessing for the IZ overlay
There are several different proposal due dates depending on the design packages for different trades. The current goal is to start foundation work 1/2024.

View attachment 33712

Here is the rendering the general contractor is using for bid invites. This is the Initiative for Digital Education and Life Sciences (IDEALS) building with the bean factory in the background.
The Architect is CambridgeSeven Architects. They have a very impressive Project Portfolio.

The Architect is CambridgeSeven Architects. They have a very impressive Project Portfolio.

They designed one of my favorite buildings on Bowdoin’s campus, the Roux Center for the Environment.

Haha yeah... especially in Portland, apparently. People will look at that rendering and freak out about how it's too crazy, doesn't fit, why can't it just be a "normal" short, square brick building, etc...

Also the firm that designed the T logo and the original 1965 "spider" map for the MBTA way back in 1965:

Love that interesting, beautiful, and apropos design (IDEALS). Thanks for posting. The Roux campus buildings should be as futuristically designed in look as possible, but without a reduction in pragmatics. Boston is doing this with many of its new hi-tech company builds. I don't buy the "It's Maine and needs to belong" mentality. Maine is a mere 15-minute drive from Massachusetts (using the E-ZPass toll lane--lol). The look of the building should be a metaphor for what the school can do for Maine and others. The old bean factory would now stand (with its hollow shell) as an exciting juxtaposition of how far Maine (or perhaps anyone else) has come. Time for change. Baked beans, paper, wooden boats, potatoes, and lobster can only take an economy so far. "The way life should be" is not the way life should be. "The way life could be" sounds much better to me.

Back