Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

This needs two more floors. At least. I think it looks great, but please, it would be so easy to make this a six floor building. Win for the neighborhood, win for the developer. 95 units?,,, lets make it 140.

Good urbanism so kudos for that but the fauxstoric fakery is overwhelming. A future eyesore in the making...

Good urbanism so kudos for that but the fauxstoric fakery is overwhelming. A future eyesore in the making...

As long as they are using real materials (brick/etc), I don't see the problem - just let it weather and it will look like all of the 'real' old stuff eventually.

Yes! What is it? Bribe Tito with good cladding? Now add a few more units.... Whether it's near the Adams Courthouse, Burial Grounds, Beacon Hill or Roxbury, stuff should match, even to the point of being fake. They did Lovejoy Wharf right. In 35 years people will hardly remember Rowes Wharf is a recent addition. In 45 years, it'll still be here, and people will truly, think it's old. in 90 years, it will be. Why not Roxbury? What does the signature say; "A city is old. It's learned to wait."

I don't this is trying to be fauxstoric at all--yeah, it's got the mansard elements and gables, but the fenestration is very contemporary--yeah it's making a gesture towards Haussman style but it's not being too Disney about it. That being said, I think if it was 2 or 3 stories taller it would be better as, currently, the scale makes the relentless symmetry a bit institutional.

It doesn't look Parisian from this picture.

fbc7c9.png

It's the modern take on second empire which is in fact in reference to the French second empire in which that "Parisian" look came to be in France shortly beforehand. Many of the buildings around here (including the one I live in) were built in this style.

Edit: it would look "right" if they made some decorative feature rise above the rest of that flat roofline. The Parisian buildings have chimneys, what I live in has a chimney and a slightly taller portion of roof with an oval window in the center.

Last edited:

It certainly is a huge improvement and Im all for the size (maybe even a florr or two more)... BUT... the chance that quality materials are used is extraordinarily low and I fear that the facade will end up looking very, very cheap and within a few years of weathering look horrendous. Dudley Street has been jam packed these last few years with banal garbage and I certainly would hope for something better than that, but I am very worried that this will be a tawdry eyesore, as Brad Plaid said.

Edit - if the BRA/BCDC would actually hold their feet very close to the fire on decent materials, then fine. But they never do that.

It doesn't look Parisian from this picture.

fbc7c9.png

TySmith -- Yes it does -- outside of the covered parking -- there a many Parisian blocks where there is a hidden courtyard and some alley or something

These are very prevalent in many cities in Poland where the most important entrance is actually off the courtyard

Come to think of it we have a key example with the Millennium Bostonian Hotel where the main entrance to the lobby is hidden from the street
millennium-bostonian.jpg

E91BBD9CEF865B4C3DFD1E3378DE57.jpg

2vmtv85.png

A new development near Roxbury Crossing has broken ground according to Bldup

New five-story mixed-use transit-oriented building featuring 40 affordable residential apartments, 27,000 square feet of office space and 4,577 square feet of retail. Apartments will include 9 one-bedrooms, 21 two-bedrooms and 10 three-bedrooms. 32 apartments will be reserved for households earning up to 60% of area median income (AMI), three apartments will be reserved for households earning up to 30% of AMI and five will be reserved for households earning under 30% of AMI.

^And just saying Whigh I was referring to the covered parking not being Parisian. I agree that the rest of the building does have some French flair to it.

^This development is already covered, either in Mission Hill thread or in its own thread.

Looks like a police station. Hideous.

Come on now, for cheap housing, that's really not that offensive.

It's pretty ugly. That being said, its a very rough render. Final product will probably be more tepid and bland, but also possibly less offensive. Which is worse?

Back