Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

Re: Jamaica Plain Infill

Sorry, but I'm never quiet sure where the neighborhood lines are. Mods could you put in correct threads?

thx..

everyone might argue differently on the borders but the argument stops at columbus - so far side of columbus from jackson down to egleston is without question roxbury... egleston is the edge of jp but historically (before southwest corridor) jackson was roxbury, and bragdon st was roxbury so the margin was kind of amory street @ jackson cutting up to egleston. what-eevahh

Fort Hill is becoming the next Mission Hill or at least the Mission Hill for recent graduates.

Fort Hill is becoming the next Mission Hill or at least the Mission Hill for recent graduates.

ACCURATE. A number of my coworkers live there and I've been looking there myself.

Shhhh. Don't mention Fort Hill.

We're looking there, too.

Almost ended up in Fort Hill, but I ended up in Egleston Square instead. The whole Fort Hill/Jackson Square/Egleston Square has some of the best value for a vibrant, urban, transit accessible location in the city.

ACCURATE. A number of my coworkers live there and I've been looking there myself.

Lived there a couple of years right after college. Very quiet nice neighborhood but the only problem is that there is no grocery store close so I recommend having a car.

Last edited:
Or get a Zipcar subscription. Or do grocery shopping more frequently and on your way home. Or do home delivery. Or...

Or get a Zipcar subscription.

Should have said "access to a car"

Or do grocery shopping more frequently and on your way home.

If there is a grocery store next to your work

Or do home delivery. Or...

I wasn't a big fan of those and it does cost some money to do it but it is a valid alternative.

I was just pointing out an observation I made when I lived there that getting to a grocery store was a little difficult.

Or get a Zipcar subscription. Or do grocery shopping more frequently and on your way home. Or do home delivery. Or...

Whoa, yeah, the tone here sounds a little judgmental... Easy... Some people don't want to make grocery shopping a huge schlep or pain in the ass... Myself included.

In any event, there's going to be a harvest coop for bartlett when it's finished, or at least that was the plan...

The real hinterlands of Roxbury for groceries is the rest of the highlands i.e. humbolt, walnut, etc..., absolutely nothing for quite a ways in all directions.

Last edited:
Sorry, major lapse of judgement there. Just tired of the defacto answer to grocery access being 'must own a car'. This is the very attitude we're trying to balance with more sensible parking-light dense development in Boston; it's just frustrating seeing the transport need problem constantly being talked about only as the dichotomy of owning/having a car and not having a car

To blackdog's credit, s/he added that s/he 'Should have said "access to a car"'. And to your credit, food deserts are a REAL issue. I recognise that there are major logistical and financial hurdles for people who live in food deserts; that Zipcar also isn't necessarily 'cheap', but it's definitely cheaper than owning a car if you're not driving every day; that there isn't necessarily a grocery store near work or on your commute; that home delivery services aren't cheap.

I wish Fort Hill had the shuttle bus thing that Mission Hill had or something similar. Now that Jackson Square is starting to build up and get a bunch of shops, I think a lot of residents from Fort Hill would love to take a shuttle from the hill to there. Having lived on Fort Hill it really is a desert. There is Fernadez Liqours, a mini mart at John Eliot Square with weird hours and the place is never stocked and a mini mart over by Marcella Playground. Without access to a car I found the area hard to live in. Hopefully with all the developments around here the retail will follow because the area was awesome to live except for the fact that it was a grocery desert.

A small development was approved on Friday by the BRA (among others):

BRA board approves $259 million in new projects at March meeting

44 multifamily residential rental units approved for Douglass Park in the South End

Total Project Cost: $16,500,000
Total SF: 49,305
Construction Jobs: 37

The Board’s approval of the Amended and Restated Development Plan for the Douglass Park expansion project will result in 44 multifamily residential rental units with 8 IDP units. The project site, located at 150 Camden Street in the South End, is on a portion of Parcel 16.

During the public testimony portion of the hearing, one community-member noted that in its earliest stages, the project was met with skepticism, but as it has moved forward, residents and stakeholders have come to embrace the opportunities that this development will bring to their neighborhood.

Here is the project page, from the BRA:

DOUGLASS PARK

Suffolk Construction filed plans (pdf) with the BRA for their 38k sf HQ expansion in Newmarket. Two old auto body shops will be torn down to make way. Current HQ is home to about 300 workers, and expansion will make room for 10% annual future employment growth plus 100 new workers to be transferred from Braintree.

Design is typical Elkus Manfredi:

HlNKBpZ.jpg

Work on local projects progressing:
Bartlett is totally leveled and a new driveway now paved. Another development slightly outbound from Bartlett along Washington is making decent progress as well.

Prince Hall Hotel? Freemasons consider new land use

Local members are considering redeveloping Prince Hall Grand Lodge in Roxbury into a combination hotel and conference center, with full-service, sit-down restaurants, lodge member Louis Elisa informed the Banner. Prince Hall Grand Lodge has served the community for years as a site for concerts, meetings and rallies. But some say the current building does not tap the property’s full potential.

The current proposal is for 300 parking spaces and a six-to-eight-story building that comprises a 250-unit three- or four-star hotel, conference center and at least two first-class, full-service restaurants, Elisa said. Other ideas include placing a Grove Hall history and Prince Hall Masonry history museum in the building and providing office space separate from the hotel-conference complex. He anticipated a cost of $40 million or more, with project completion in five years.

http://baystatebanner.com/news/2016/apr/27/prince-hall-hotel-freemasons-consider-new-land-use/

I couldn't snap a photo this morning because I was driving SW on Melnea Cass/Mass Ave Connector, but I noticed a big crane straight ahead in Roxbury. I'd guess it was either at Dudley Square or a little south of there. Does anybody know what project this is for?

I couldn't snap a photo this morning because I was driving SW on Melnea Cass/Mass Ave Connector, but I noticed a big crane straight ahead in Roxbury. I'd guess it was either at Dudley Square or a little south of there. Does anybody know what project this is for?

The only thing I know that is being worked on down there is the Bartlett Yards redevelopment. Didn't know they had a crane.

Just my guess. I haven't been down there in a while.

Back