Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

There's not much you can do, beyond the crude tool of affordable housing intervention, once the land value goes up.

Barring the invention of a time machine (go back and build the units you need today!), I think that one possible forward looking solution is to encourage the development of units on land that isn't high-priced yet. In other words, preemptively lower the regulatory barriers to development in areas that aren't already hot.

Problem is, politically, it's only after areas get hot to develop that enough pressure forms to get cut through the red tape. And, when a developer does manage to get through, they would rather put the barriers right back up to prevent competition.

Vacant lots on Blue Hill Avenue in Roxbury could be replaced by apartments

A developer has proposed a 40-unit apartment development on Blue Hill Avenue between Quincy and Holborn streets that would include 27 affordable units and 5 apartments for people who make just a bit too much too qualify for those.

In addition to a four-story apartment building, the Community Builders, Inc. is proposing a two-family house as part of the construction, which would replace a series of city-owned lots that have been vacant for decades.

In a filing with the BRA, the developer is proposing 32 parking spaces and bicycle storage, as well as first-floor retail space.

In addition, the Community Builders would create "a dedicated, contemplative/memorial open space on the Blue Hill Avenue/Quincy Street corner."

Community Builders hopes to begin construction this fall, with occupancy ready in the winter of 2016/2017.

PDF http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/536a7ff4-7bf9-4249-891a-a924f3ddade6

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/vacant-lots-blue-hill-avenue-roxbury-could-be

Pretty ugly design but it is a good scale and will be an improvement to the area.

I saw the plan at a community meeting last month. Does anyone know why parking is currently prohibited on Blue Hill Ave in front of the site? School buses? I couldn't figure out why it's a 24/7 restriction.

I saw the plan at a community meeting last month. Does anyone know why parking is currently prohibited on Blue Hill Ave in front of the site? School buses? I couldn't figure out why it's a 24/7 restriction.
Hmph, the traffic study in the PNF claims parking is totally unrestricted (aside from the usual street cleaning) on BHA. Never mentions any special restrictions.

2.1.2.2 On-Street Parking
On-street parking is generally allowed within the study area, with exceptions. All
unrestricted parking is nevertheless subject to street cleaning for some hours monthly,
and prohibited at fire hydrants. Figure 2-6 shows on-street parking regulations.

Hmph, the traffic study in the PNF claims parking is totally unrestricted (aside from the usual street cleaning) on BHA. Never mentions any special restrictions.

Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/3fTvB

I actually parked there for the meeting because I couldn't think of any legitimate reason for it to be restricted at all times.

Black-led team aims to build in Dudley Sq.
New building to include offices, retail space and residential units

The new building will be constructed on land owned by Long Bay Management bordered Washington Street, Roxbury Street, Shawmut Avenue and Marvin Street. The building will retain the neoclassical limestone façade of the bank building, and some of its interior. A glass atrium will connect the current bank structure to the adjacent retail and office space on Roxbury Street. Long Bay owns land, currently being used for parking lots, behind the Sargent Prince building. Office space, apartments and condos will be sited where the lots currently are, facing Marvin Street and Shawmut Avenue. Parking would be provided under the new building.

Lee said he envisions a restaurant or live music venue for the old bank, which was built as the home of the Institution for Savings in Roxbury and its Vicinity in 1901.

“We want to start with the old bank building and do something that works off of it and use the space to do something interesting,” he said.

http://baystatebanner.com/news/2015/mar/18/black-led-team-aims-build-dudley-sq/

This area is in desperate need of a music venue this sounds fantastic… I wonder if they're going to demolish that building on Roxbury at that is completely falling down.

Edit- wow, the two leaders are 89 and 93… Impressive.

Globe article today - no news, more historical overview

dudley-map.jpg

Man, all those 2-story suburban subdivisions in lower Roxbury need to be redeveloped so badly.

It's great added density, but I think the area could (and should) support even more. Ruggles Station is almost literally across the street.

This will be a dramatic improvement. I really hope they keep their promise of housing the current residents if not My allegiances will turn very quickly against this.

Hooray! I'm a big fan of this mixed-income development proposal and, like coleslaw, hopeful that they honor their word by not displacing any low-income residents in the process.

That being said... I think a little more ambition here would go a long way. Downburst is right; Ruggles is one of the largest transit hubs in New England with the capacity for greater use. This site could easily support two to three times as many units on its footprint. I'd love to see a couple signature 25-30+ story towers on all corners of the Tremont Street & Melnea Cass Blvd. intersection.

Back