Scale on Boylston and Newbury

I wish they had built that hotel out of Legos because then it wouldn't matter that it looked plastic and it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting.

Regarding the Barbie Dream-Motor-Lodge, has anyone seen the back from the Pike? It's actually better (and a more honest building) than the front, stripped bare of the cheap costume jewelery.

Last edited:
We've been talking about Kenmore Square since Post 19.

^ I just can't help it. Everytime I see or hear anything about the Hotel Commonwealth my blood gets a boiling.

Regarding the Barbie Dream-Motor-Lodge, has anyone seen the back from the Pike? It's actually better (and a more honest building) than the front, stripped bare of the cheap costume jewelery.

Lets hope at some point someone builds a set of row houses/apartments like down the street in that parking lot and hide that bland back.

There has always been a phase two planned for the back side.

never seen anything proposed for the back side...

Phase II would complete the donut to Newbury Street with a landscaped central courtyard. Given the facade fiasco I imagine that has been pushed way out into the future.

I wonder how that backside will be impacted, for better or worse, by the Parcel 7 development (and garage that is going there).

Phase II would complete the donut to Newbury Street with a landscaped central courtyard. Given the facade fiasco I imagine that has been pushed way out into the future.
"Facade fiasco"?

I wish one of you guys could show us what the current building would look like with the faux mansard stripped off. It looks like Aretha Franklin's inaugural hat.

"Facade fiasco"

The cost of removing the brand new EIFS and replacing it with real brick and stucco, in addition to the PR bomb, made the second phase of the hotel financially and politically untenable.

Back