Scarborough, ME

Here's the site plan for The Downs from the development's website:

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 8.38.43 AM.png

So, I'm guessing the "Mixed Use" spot right at the entrance is the Costco site. I also have to wonder what kind of permits they'll need to get to build out that Town Center Residential where the track is; as someone who spent many childhood evenings in that grandstand, the whole track infield is a mosquito-breeding swamp.

This rendering of the "town center" at the Downs was released today. I assume this is just a conceptual/ massing rendering, but gives a good sense of what they're going for. Still kind of "blah" in my opinion, but a huge step up from the suburban sprawl that dominates Scarborough now.

Relevant PPH article about the developers seeking a growth cap exemption to allow this project to happen

1644851325877.png

1644851896527.png

1644851874811.png

S P R A W L I N G
P A R K I N G
L O T S

Is this anyone’s idea of a Town Center? It looks like another Maine Mall / Mallside amalgamation.

Celebration, FL is at least New Urbanist in its design — it actually has human-scaled streets and alleys lined with buildings to create outdoor “rooms” for socializing, shopping, people-watching, etc., in addition to wide, auto-dominated parkways. This is just access roads and parking lots with fringes of buildings. It’s horrible design with parking ratios out of the 1980s.

really putting the Down in Scarborough Downs.

Agreed with all of you. That plan is horrible in many ways. The problem is that they are addicted to the housing sprawl and the $$$ it brings in. Everything else is an afterthought. What a shame that a premium suburban property like this will be ruined by someone that doesn't have the patience or foresight to build a better Scarborough.

I'm sure that they will work things out......but Costco is welcome to bring their massive parking lot to Augusta or Bangor where I'm sure they would be welcome with open arms.

The Downs Scarborough shared an video on Facebook regarding the planning and view of the development. Not able to find the video to share here, but it still seems to be a mediocre "city center". It makes me wonder if locals will actually AVOID it because it will be such a trap to navigate.

Any updates on Costco? It seems to be stuck at the Planning Board.

I heard rumors that Costco is looking at the old shaws in Westbrook and buying out and move Kohls to a new location. Westbrook is being more open to the idea, plus Sam's Club is pushing to not have the Costco nearby.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case. Costco has expressed interest in Westbrook in the past...

Before Rock Row, the developers of "Dirigo Plaza" had been looking ahead to having Costco as a main anchor of their incredibly visionary, forward-thinking development.

1653586226467.png

I heard rumors that Costco is looking at the old shaws in Westbrook and buying out and move Kohls to a new location. Westbrook is being more open to the idea, plus Sam's Club is pushing to not have the Costco nearby.
Will this mean a tear-down and rebuild of the entire Shaws/Kohls buildings? Would be nice to get a restaurant in the old Ruby Tuesday building. Kon might be a good fit for that location so that building (and the RepubliCash etc) can be torn down for redevelopment.

Will this mean a tear-down and rebuild of the entire Shaws/Kohls buildings? Would be nice to get a restaurant in the old Ruby Tuesday building. Kon might be a good fit for that location so that building (and the RepubliCash etc) can be torn down for redevelopment.
There's already a Mexican restaurant, Rio Bravo, going into the Ruby Tuesday space. Back in the era when we were thinking of Costco going into Dirigo Plaza, I spoke with a friend who said he had talked to a location scout for them, and he said they weren't looking at Maine at all at the time. That was years ago, of course.

I would doubt they would seriously consider the old Shaws in Westbrook for the location. Even combining Shaws/Kohls will not bring the footprint to a size needed for a Costco and there is absolutely not enough parking in that development, a sticking point for even the Scarborough location.

Back