Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

From 12/20

What parcels would be available for a GE HQ building?

Boston and state officials have been talking frequently with each other and with General Electric Co. about relocating its global headquarters to the Seaport District, according to people familiar with the matter.

Officials worked throughout the holiday period and into this week to nail down details about a potential move that could bring hundreds of high-paying jobs from Fairfield, Conn., where GE is currently based.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...eadquarters/UvduGmkJh1K3wkG7aJErZI/story.html

I think the middle pier 4 building is slated for office?

Also the building between One Marina Park and 50 Liberty?

121 Seaport has no tenants yet?

It would be awesome if they became the anchor tenant of the Boston Properties office tower at north station.

That'd be the list, plus Parcel G (the one with the hole in it). It will be interesting to see if GE wants to be a tenant or an owner. I can see Skanska selling 121 Seaport to them more than I can see the Pier 4 owners selling (based only on the nature of the companies). 121 Seaport also has the advantage of being under construction and "Iconic" in the way that a company might want for their HQ.

That'd be the list, plus Parcel G (the one with the hole in it). It will be interesting to see if GE wants to be a tenant or an owner. I can see Skanska selling 121 Seaport to them more than I can see the Pier 4 owners selling (based only on the nature of the companies). 121 Seaport also has the advantage of being under construction and "Iconic" in the way that a company might want for their HQ.

There's also Seaport Square parcel D, which currently has the (original) chapel.

I agree that 121 Seaport (Seaport Square L2) would probably be the best contender, but I'd most like to see GE as the anchor tenant for the Government Center Garage Pelli office tower. Too bad they're so focused on the Seaport.

Is (i.e. 'isn't) it easier for them to get tax incentives on new construction?

I assume that this site selection process is essentially a tax break bidding war ...

There's also Seaport Square parcel D, which currently has the (original) chapel.

I agree that 121 Seaport (Seaport Square L2) would probably be the best contender, but I'd most like to see GE as the anchor tenant for the Government Center Garage Pelli office tower. Too bad they're so focused on the Seaport.

JumboBuc -- in Part there is a discussion of $ -- but a lot of the discussion relates to how the relocation helps with the re-branding GE as a "Modern Technology Company" -- ref: the series of ads with the "Gnurd" talking about coding and the Internet of Machines
"What’s the Matter with Owen? – “Hammer” - GE"
hqdefault.jpg

https://youtu.be/3xGoBlI_fdg

The best places for GE would either be Kendall with the other "Tech Giants" or the Seaport Innovation District with a good view from Logan

Right, but the Seaport is home to innovative companies in its stupid marketing name only. What are the least innovative fields you can think of? Maybe accounting and law? Those are the companies that are actually moving to the Seaport.

My social circle is full of the Millenial "nerds" that these companies covet, and I don't know of anyone who sees the Seaport as the place to work. Cambridge ranks first, and then after that we'd all rather be in Downtown or Fort Point or Leather District or Back Bay or Bullfinch Triangle or etc. The Seaport ranks higher than the suburbs, but that's about it.

I wish the "Innovation District" moniker would just die already. The Seaport isn't innovative, and the companies there just aren't hip (hip companies can't afford the rent). But there's nothing wrong with that. Time to just accept it and keep landing large, corporate tenants who want and can afford new construction.

Right, but the Seaport is home to innovative companies in its stupid marketing name only. What are the least innovative fields you can think of? Maybe accounting and law? Those are the companies that are actually moving to the Seaport.

My social circle is full of the Millenial "nerds" that these companies covet, and I don't know of anyone who sees the Seaport as the place to work. Cambridge ranks first, and then after that we'd all rather be in Downtown or Fort Point or Leather District or Back Bay or Bullfinch Triangle or etc. The Seaport ranks higher than the suburbs, but that's about it.

I wish the "Innovation District" moniker would just die already. The Seaport isn't innovative, and the companies there just aren't hip (hip companies can't afford the rent). But there's nothing wrong with that. Time to just accept it and keep landing large, corporate tenants who want and can afford new construction.

Well, there is the Innovation and Design Building out on Drydock Avenue that still is affordable for newer companies (and it hosts MassChallenge, the largest incubator in the world). But that is really it in the district.

Right now people don't see it as a place to work. In 3 years that will be much different.

One point of attractiveness of this area to GE would be the short distance / travel time from their offices to the airport, and their corporate jets.

On the other hand compared to say NYC they either need to relocate or rehire the entire workforce in the Boston area. These aren't technical positions it's all corporate and administrative stuff.

I'd be very surprised if they came here because of that very reason.

JumboBuc -- perhaps the Mass Challenge incubator down in the "Big Hammer" [see the GE ad above] end of the Seaport / Innovation District would meet your nerdly criteria? [Note: true Gnerds or preferably GNUrds always include the G because we all know that GNU is Not Unix]

PS: One field generally considered to be innovative and truly gnurdly is robotics and if the Greater Seaport / Innovation District includes areas back toward the Fort Point Channel there are plenty of roboticists in the district

On the other hand compared to say NYC they either need to relocate or rehire the entire workforce in the Boston area. These aren't technical positions it's all corporate and administrative stuff.

I'd be very surprised if they came here because of that very reason.

Meddlepal -- its not as if the people in Fairfield are being asked to relocate from Texas -- they have a healthy real estate market in Fairfield County, Good School, Our kind of Weather and they are after all New Englanders

Their only cross to bare would be sports affiliations -- everyone from a bit west of New Britain in Connecticut roots for the Yankees or the Mets

Meddlepal -- its not as if the people in Fairfield are being asked to relocate from Texas -- they have a healthy real estate market in Fairfield County, Good School, Our kind of Weather and they are after all New Englanders

Their only cross to bare would be sports affiliations -- everyone from a bit west of New Britain in Connecticut roots for the Yankees or the Mets

These people likely have families that have connections to the area. You're right it's not like moving from Texas but it's still a decent distance and could be very disruptive.

NYC and NY State income taxes are a lot higher for upper income earners than if one was residing in CT. If you work in NYC, and live in CT. you'll pay NYC/NYS taxes, which would be a credit against lower CT income taxes.

https://flic.kr/p/Cw1uYU

New sidewalk going in between the Commonwealth and Fish Piers. Looks like they are getting rid of the dip.
https://flic.kr/p/CVPyTm

Does anyone know if they are adding trees along here, too? I think some greenery/shade along the water at this specific block would do wonders to psychologically connect Liberty Wharf to the rest of the neighborhood.

Fingers crossed they are adding trees, but half of the sidewalk is done and there's no sign of trees. Regardless, fixing this sidewalk is a major win for the area. Those pavers before were horrific - all broken, uneven and made it hard for wheelchairs and strollers to get by.

Back