Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

If GE does come to Boston, my money is on the Pier 4 tower or the new 121 Skanska tower...hopefully a decision is announced soon

To jump back into the GE discussion....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-07/here-are-the-most-innovative-states-in-america

ain't too shabby coming from Bloomberg Business!

Atlantaden -- I tend to agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in the article

Here Are the Most Innovative States in America
Massachusetts, California take the top spots in Bloomberg's index

The Boston area's Route 128 eked out a victory over Silicon Valley, as Bloomberg's ranking of the most innovative states in the U.S. illustrates how universities can juice local economies.

However, it is interesting to note that "Ye Olde Rt-128" is featured as the handle for our local innovation land and not Kendall Sq.

To me, the amazing thing is that, comparing population and land area, California absolutely dwarfs Massachusetts, and if you just look at the area inside 495 (where much of the population and most of the industry are located), it's even more amazing that we're #1 in innovation. Granted this is one article from one magazine but if you look at the Boston area in terms of being a powerhouse of financial, technical, medical, pharma, R and D, higher education, human capital, innovation, etc. the metro area is consistantly listed among the tops in the USA and extremely high among global cities as well. Boston has the reputation in many parts of the country (including much of the Boston pop itself) of being a proper, somewhat staid, not very forward looking, not a very exciting city, when in fact, it's the opposite. I can't tell you the number of friends from the south that visit the city for the first time and return with nothing but praise about what a beautiful and fun city Boston is.

To me, the amazing thing is that, comparing population and land area, California absolutely dwarfs Massachusetts, and if you just look at the area inside 495 (where much of the population and most of the industry are located), it's even more amazing that we're #1 in innovation. Granted this is one article from one magazine but if you look at the Boston area in terms of being a powerhouse of financial, technical, medical, pharma, R and D, higher education, human capital, innovation, etc. the metro area is consistantly listed among the tops in the USA and extremely high among global cities as well. Boston has the reputation in many parts of the country (including much of the Boston pop itself) of being a proper, somewhat staid, not very forward looking, not a very exciting city, when in fact, it's the opposite. I can't tell you the number of friends from the south that visit the city for the first time and return with nothing but praise about what a beautiful and fun city Boston is.

Atlantaden -- Innovation is in our Genes and our Chips as it was in our wires and our rails and before that in our sails -- But its always in our Books.

We [I use the term inclusively] have been in the education / knowledge / innovation business from the very very beginning.

Greater Boston and its progeny [the rest of New England] has a list of innovations that spans nearly all sectors and all time periods: -- from the basic political structure [the oldest written Constitution continuously in use in the world]; the financial underpinnings [the BofA can trace its roots to the Massachusetts Bank chartered in 1784 just after the US started up], the first Mutual Funds were here as was Ned Johnson's Fidelity Daily Income Trust the papa of all Money Market Funds]; Clipper Ships; Electrified Transit; Computers; Anesthesia; Kidney Transplants; Public Libraries; Fire Alarms; Fire Insurance; Microwave Radar; Synthesis of Penicillin; cracking the Human Genome; Liquid Fueled Rockets; Inertial Navigation; LORAN [the predecessor in global localization to GPS], etc.

it might ultimately be a driven by the combination that we didn't have a whole lot of easy pickings off the land, necessitating the need to trade products services and ideas which fosters innovation [see for example Jane Jacobs Cities and the Wealth of Nations]. It probably helped that the people who first landed, were well educated and obsessed with education such that they founded public schools and a college within a decade of setting foot on Beacon Hill [Boston Latin, Harvard College].

It might also come from the lack of huge land holdings that fostered the independent local farmers and "mechanics" who thought of themselves as the equals in talent, if not assets with anyone in London or Paris, and able to innovate with the best.

From the article:

"The industrial conglomerate continues to focus on locations on the South Boston waterfront, including a property owned by the Massachusetts Port Authority and another on Summer Street."

Anyone have an idea which parcels these would be.

N and P maybe?

Massport still has the WTC South plot available correct?

Wow. If true, that is fantastic.

Wow. I really thought that was a pipe dream.

I saw this on BetaBoston (never seen this site before..)

Czervik -- I like Scot K, and most of what he writes for Beta even if I don't always agree with his logic chain and conclusion

On this one I think that he's hit the nail on the head [possibly with the hammer featured in the "Whats the matter with Owen" recent GE Gnurdversials]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlm2ZrL1Bvo *1

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xGoBlI_fdg

You chose

*1 -- the falling component being caught by a gnurd at the end of "One Day" is reminiscent of a Gnurdversial which DEC ran circa 1980 when they were beginning the staff-up of DEC semiconductor in Hudson. They shrank a VAX780 on the datacenter floor until finally a grurd walked over and picked it up and put the shrunken VAX into his pocket and then walked off the floor -- it was very descriptive of what DEC was intending to do to revolutionize the making of computers and in fact did do so

From the Globe:

GE apparently hasn’t picked a final location in Boston. Two spots on the South Boston waterfront have been pinpointed as likely contenders: one on Summer Street, overlooking the Fort Point Channel, and the other owned by the Massachusetts Port Authority, next to the World Trade Center T station.

I'm guessing this is the Massport parcel? Not sure about the Summer St parcel, but maybe over here?

Also, how long before we see the "GE Lawn on D"?

From the Globe:

I'm guessing this is the Massport parcel? Not sure about the Summer St parcel, but maybe over here?

As a commuter, the Summer Street location is much more preferable because it's a short walk from South Station. That would enable people to have a no-transfer commute from everywhere on the Red Line, South Shore and Metro West areas.

While the other parcel is on the Silver Line, that single transfer would add 5-10 minutes to the overall commute time on a good day. I guess it's still technically walkable from SS, but in the winter on a windy day that would be a miserable walk.

From the Globe:

Yes I agree the MassPort plot has to be A-2, which your link pin points. Could end up as a slender tower. You have to assume the fiscal red carpet was rolled out for these guys so can't rule out this land being conveyed or 99-year leased to GE for dirt cheap.

From the Globe:

I bet the Massport parcel is one of the former "Massive Hotel" parcels that Baker killed off when he scrapped the BCEC expansion. Here's the latest on them:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...wns-bidders/DH0HLSkgoz1Q0tlW7QQpHN/story.html

I'm not sure where the other Summer St. parcel is, but it wouldn't surprise me if GE would go in either the block bounded by D, Summer, Pumphouse, and Haul Road, or the one across D. That's "near WTC Station".

No open parcels on Summer directly border Fort Point Channel. The parking lot you highlighted is owned by Gillette. Not sure if they'll sell...

Back