Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

The World Trade Center Ave is an elevated street, so ground level retail would have to be on the second floor. This is actually a pretty good parcel to put a parking garage on.

...its only truly 'elevated' where it crosses other streets, of course. Would you describe Summer St. as an elevated street? (..at least, that is. for the purposes of dismissing it as a 'real' street'...)

In my book, the list of good places for garages is generally limited to 'underneath and/or behind an actual building'. And there are a LOT of those in the neighborhood, as it happens.

Okay, I'll bite, how is that a very good spot? b/c there's a need for parking? b/c it will be hidden when other projects are built?

Yea u pretty much got it. Its a huge parcel off in no mans land abbutting the haul road/pike on ramps on one side and the silver line tunnell/the back of waterside place on the other. Its huge but only very small parts are on either of the roads (d st. + wtc ave). This will address much of the parking lost to development as well as fill in a very awkward parcel with something beneficial. This is a very good proposal, no ones gonna cry over this parcel being lost to a parking garage because it would have been very awkward to develop something else here.

....the parcel could also be described as:

- directly between the silver line and the convention center ("no man's land"...really?)
- positioned so that its possible to deck over the haul road and ramps while maintaining level access from WTC and D
- big enough to turn into multiple parcels, maybe with a connecting street directly above the pike

...its actually remarkably similar to the parcel(s) on causeway st where the victor and merano are; almost exactly the same size and shape, with similar underground complications.

If this thing were set back from the streets so that 'real' buildings can grow around it (a planned version of the retrofitting now in progress at Gov. Ct. and Hancock garages) I'd be able to make peace with it. I don't think that's the plan though.

I agree with the set back from the street part with buildings along the street. I dont think this is like the merano or victor though because the victor has streets on all four sides and the merano has them on 3 of its sides. It would be like if the victor and merano were only abutting causeway st and valenti way while valenti had a cauldesac and was also a bridge 2 stories in the air with almost nothing along the way leaving really only causeway as the street frontage.

...couldnt help myself: (these are pasted in at the same scale, btw):

25854357940_75b007ea06_c.jpg

..and btw there's pretty wonky one way stuff happening on valenti that makes it useless as a thru st (by design). If anything, WTC is more functional.

I stand by the analogy.

Either way the parcel in front of the bcec along summer st will still be developed and is not affected by this proposal. I agree that would be much better and valenti sucks but Im just saying I dont hate the proposal given its all there is at this time. I think realistically it would have worked best if d st and wtc had buildings at the road with this proposal and summer st gets developed later also.

...its only truly 'elevated' where it crosses other streets, of course. Would you describe Summer St. as an elevated street? (..at least, that is. for the purposes of dismissing it as a 'real' street'...)

In my book, the list of good places for garages is generally limited to 'underneath and/or behind an actual building'. And there are a LOT of those in the neighborhood, as it happens.

dsc01342.jpg

World Trade Center Ave is literally 100% an elevated street, summer street is at a higher elevation than haul road and the rest of the seaport, and in fact has a a large bridge section connecting fort point part of Summer Street with the convention center part. I don't use elevated street to dismiss as not a real street, but to highlight the challenges of this parcel. I use the term elevated street to literally mean elevated street.

Seaport snarl: Transit troubles mount in Boston's fastest-growing neighborhood

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/p...-snarl-transit-troubles-mount-in-bostons.html

I don't have access to this article but seriously didn't see this one coming.

Along with all the taxpayers money they gave the builders to build on top of an infrastructure that never had a GOOD access flow for TRANSIT.

What a bunch fucking idiots. Anybody ask Fallon or JPM for our money back?
And now we welcome General Electric.

I suggest reserving your rants and paranoia until after you gain access and actually read the BBJ piece.

The article only focused on consolidating private shuttles and having ferries at Fort Point and Fan Pier. Said companies and government can't agree on private shuttles (frequencies and how to allocate cost) and can't afford to pay for water shuttles or build the actual piers.

Boston -- Very Atmospheric pix

The Seaport / innovation District now has developed its own skyline -- all its lacking is a GE Logo visible from Mars or at least Logan

Does anyone know anything about "Freedom Wharf" the area in between Legal Harborside/Remy's and the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion? Are they still trying to develop it?

Seaport Boulevard is developing a nice street wall.

JMG7I3J.jpg

dYuymhy.jpg

JarGmvo.jpg

1feYX5y.jpg

0DXsUUW.jpg

oKsIVZT.jpg

asqxCbn.jpg

Seaport Boulevard is developing a nice street wall.

JMG7I3J.jpg

dYuymhy.jpg

JarGmvo.jpg

1feYX5y.jpg

0DXsUUW.jpg

oKsIVZT.jpg

asqxCbn.jpg

A lot of these shots feel like automobile canyons, devoid of life.

The most human friendly space captured is the area around the Barking Crab.

The road is very wide, but almost every single building in these shots is under construction. Theres a shit ton of retail going in here theres going to be a shit ton of life... when the entire area is no longer 1 huge construction site.

The road is very wide, but almost every single building in these shots is under construction. Theres a shit ton of retail going in here theres going to be a shit ton of life... when the entire area is no longer 1 huge construction site.

What are the residential/office projections for the seaport?

Back