Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Just throw up some pictures of New England Executive Park and the current Seaport and let the public decide.

Reminds me of a bit of North Hollywood mashed with Irvine's office park on Von Karman (site of the Oracle Tower). But the water, boats, and Boston's skyline changes everything. N Hollywood has a nice view up Laurel Cyn Dr, the hills and ridge along Mulholland... turn 180° and you've got the San Gabriel Mtns... but the hills block the view of LA. The Seaport is better, imo.

Then, i see Boston's new mid-rise district playing a huge role in the city's success. With the economic challenges before us, the value Boston is getting in the Seaport can not easily be weighed.

i almost miss the good ol' days when people marginalized our rats meet the sea zone/s – instead of inventing straw men seeking to destroy a fictitious pristine harbor... it's not Marblehead, Newport (RI), La Jolla Cove or Dana Point. It was never that great. The idea that the Seaport should have been built on a much smaller scale is as unrealistic as it is misguided.

...the Seaport / Innovation district was never Rt-128 with an Ocean View -- it used to be essentially nearly abandoned space with a few old derelict piers and some derelict {however quaint} brick and beam warehouses. Pioneers colonized some of the old buildings and also built a few new buildings and that in turn launched the transformation which is still on-going.

Yes... The Seaport sprung from that. Globe posters talk about saving it.... from what? offices, density, upscale living, revenue machine? What was it supposed to come out like? East Boston? We can't have a city where we build on the scale of East Boston, Beacon Hill and the South End when we have no land. Absolutely had to go denser and bigger here. Then with the height restriction, how does it not come back looking like an office park?

As some have mentioned, the new projects are really going to round out the scale and look of the Seaport. It's going to be fantastic.

1 building i'm unhappy with - is the low Pier 4 condos. i don't like long. Hate Mass Ave. No problem at Fanuil Hall and the Fish Pier. i know, 'it's a pier stupid.' Still, i think better as two with 1 or 2 more floors. Easier to walk to the other side. It appears cantilevered in the late render/s (where i didn't see that a couple of years ago). Pardon, i'm unclear what they are doing. So, it's long... + cantilevered? That doesn't look good on a long, low building, imo. That is all.

Last edited:
Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

All I see when I look at that first pic and when I drive/walk through there is a great street wall coming to life that will soon be booming with retail and already is booming with street life.

27804597835_46b5436862_k.jpg

If the Westin didn't see expansion as financially responsible, and if Massport downsized their plans across the street from the BCEC's front door, what the heck are they doing building anything? Much less on the USPS site, which sounds like it's the farthest from the Convention Center...

It is a pretty clear attempt to reopen discussions about moving the post office away from Fort Point by bringing the MCCA to the table.

Of course they want to move the Post Office to another waterfront location just 6 blocks away which is terribly short sighted. Would be better to move the USPS to be north of Widett Circle on the City land there. Or to another location.

You would think they learned the lesson of not putting the USPS on waterfront land close to downtown which will be desirable real estate in a couple decades.

It is a pretty clear attempt to reopen discussions about moving the post office away from Fort Point by bringing the MCCA to the table.

Of course they want to move the Post Office to another waterfront location just 6 blocks away which is terribly short sighted. Would be better to move the USPS to be north of Widett Circle on the City land there. Or to another location.

You would think they learned the lesson of not putting the USPS on waterfront land close to downtown which will be desirable real estate in a couple decades.

It could be, but the site they're referring to was the one the USPS was supposed to sell to Massport as a part of the prior tripartie agreement, which failed because USPS kept overvaluing it. I don't really see how bringing MCCA in and calling it the best, most valuable site for a hotel changes things - now USPS will value it even more.

MCCA shouldn't end up with this site unless they have a location to offer USPS. The whole point before was that Massport received the proceeds from developing here to offset the value of the South Boston site they'd be giving up.

USPS needs to go a few blocks south of the New York Streets blocks and merged into the new office park propuesto down there. This might be the last chance to save the track expansion.

Just throw up some pictures of New England Executive Park and the current Seaport and let the public decide.

Are you kidding me? You should really try and visit the place once in awhile.

Are you kidding me? You should really try and visit the place once in awhile.

What are you talking about. I've been down the Seaport, It's a whole lot of WALKING to get nowhere.

I said throw up some pics of Burlington Office park to draw if there is a comparison concerning the Box Buildings with the Seaport Boxes.

The scenery is definitely better in the SEAPORT.......Which I hope-so its on the fucking water along with being next to Downtown/Greenway.
Burlington Office Park has Burlington MALL next door. I'm not comparing that to the Seaport.

It could be, but the site they're referring to was the one the USPS was supposed to sell to Massport as a part of the prior tripartie agreement, which failed because USPS kept overvaluing it. I don't really see how bringing MCCA in and calling it the best, most valuable site for a hotel changes things - now USPS will value it even more.

MCCA shouldn't end up with this site unless they have a location to offer USPS. The whole point before was that Massport received the proceeds from developing here to offset the value of the South Boston site they'd be giving up.

MCCA could buy the parking lot from USPS using money that would have gone towards the expansion.

I believe the previous deal was about $100 million too low to make it worth it to the USPS, so not going to happen.

I said throw up some pics of Burlington Office park to draw if there is a comparison concerning the Box Buildings with the Seaport Boxes.

Ok!

45012_Image1.jpg

No!

P.S. I am aware that they are also building glassy boxes at the moment, but those are mimicking the Seaport buildings, not the other way around.

That building alone does not look like anytype of Seaport building.
(Driving on 128 the Oracle Building could pass in the Seaport in my opinon)

How about the view of the overall Executive Park with the rest of the office buildings.

Also get a comparison on Kendall Square.

you're position is established no need to repeat it multiple times a day. let us know when it changes

In my opinion 128 does not resemble what is being built in the SEAPORT at this point.

Should we have a POLL?

Anybody post a view of Kendall Square overview?

Back