Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

There is an agenda here. I do not trust this group: Jim Canales, president of the Barr Foundation in Boston: He is clearly puppet for these billionaires.

Seaport is already built out. YES........You missed the opportunity--They are trying to stop Harbor Garage from going up.

If anything they should have built Harbor Garage and left the Seaport alone until they planned out the expansion of Transit.

Perfect example of building useless Blocks of Real estate scattered all over Boston instead of focusing on Height Core in the city.

These never ending debates always bring to mind some Flogging Molly lyrics "We're still screaming at the wailing wall!"

Baseless arguments in the face of fact after fact never cease.
Saying the Seaport is not served by any main lines is a fairly ridiculous statement.

It's 0.6 miles from South Station to PWC's new building. This is basically the heart of the new Seaport. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sou...c1057d!2m2!1d-71.0551042!2d42.3518776!1m0!3e2
It's 0.4 miles from Kendall/MIT to 700 Tech. Square (chosen because I work here and walk this walk everyday). I don't think anyone argues that Kendall is not well served by "main line" service or proximity.

Does 0.2 miles really make that much difference? It does, well lucky you, there is an actual subway running right to Courthouse that is 0.1 miles away.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cou...c92657557b!2m2!1d-71.04685!2d42.35245!1m0!3e2

Many of the above arguments above come from someone who has professed I nthe past to have never used the Silver Line. Yet, continually sh*ts all over something they have never used.

The Seaport as most of us know it is very much served by main line service.

A lot of the disconnect is, as people have mentioned before, mostly in your head. Not so much the channel as someone mentioned before. I find it hard to equate the channel with a highway. The channel is a pretty nice obstruction (except in the winter). I've often found the feeling that things are soo far away was because of the huge swaths of parking separating you from your destination. Walking from say Congress and Wharf Road to the WTC can seem like a quite long walk, when it really isn't. But, the WTC looks like it's right there, because nothing blocks your view (until very recently), so it takes "forever" to get to a very close destination, because nothing changes on that walk. Some proper streets, with people watching & window shopping along the way, and this is a much more pleasant walk. And, although the walk is now less direct, psychologically you enjoyed the walk much more, and feel like less time was wasted.

Of course, if you have an IQ.... you could be at WTC in 4 minutes if you jump on the silverline at SS.

We can do bikes served via smart cards to ride over the new Northern Ave bridge for the cool people.

The sox and pats are not moving to southie by 2030. Fenway still has another 50 years on the structure probably more and Gillette is staying put. Someday Fenway will move somewhere else maybe suffolk downs, or somewhere that actually has room but it wont be southie. That globe article made good points, but we got another CBD because Boston is booming and it has minimal room left downtown. They could have added more public amenities yes, but NYC has tons of space to build whatever they need to meet demand, we don't. The seaport is located right next to downtown and we need tons of office space and residential, so thats where it went. The two don't really relate. I do agree that we could have used the space directly on the waters edge better, but the seaport is not very big as a whole so it was not going to all go to basketball courts, soccer fields, merry go rounds. We have a greenway right over the bridge. These are two different cities with two different needs/space. NYC is huge Boston is tiny, you have to work out ways to fit everything in here much differently than in NY. Everybody bitching about how NYC is doing this or that so much better or complaining about the height of our towers can......pack up your shit and take a 3.5 hr drive to NYC and start a new life there. Boston is Boston and if you want it to be NYC you may as well move because your not going to be happy here. All of this shit you want already exists in NY so just move there. Boston is.....wait for it....Boston, its its own city that does not have to always try to be somewhere else.

Last edited:

The Red Sox own much or most of Lansdowne St.

Play in Pawtucket for a year and rebuild the ballpark right here.

The Red Sox own much or most of Lansdowne St.

Play in Pawtucket for a year and rebuild the ballpark right here.

There is a 0% chance the Red Sox would play in Pawtucket for a year while they rebuild. The AAA stadium current or proposed plus infrastructure down there wouldn't be able to handle the crowds or worse nobody would go and lost revenue hurts. They'd likely end up at Foxboro for a season when they finally do rebuild.

--Don't eat at Legals ---Assembly Row-- Food was garbage

I had better service at McDonalds.

The sox and pats are not moving to southie by 2030. Fenway still has another 50 years on the structure probably more and Gillette is staying put. Someday Fenway will move somewhere else maybe suffolk downs, or somewhere that actually has room but it wont be southie. That globe article made good points, but we got another CBD because Boston is booming and it has minimal room left downtown. They could have added more public amenities yes, but NYC has tons of space to build whatever they need to meet demand, we don't. The seaport is located right next to downtown and we need tons of office space and residential, so thats where it went. The two don't really relate. I do agree that we could have used the space directly on the waters edge better, but the seaport is not very big as a whole so it was not going to all go to basketball courts, soccer fields, merry go rounds. We have a greenway right over the bridge. These are two different cities with two different needs/space. NYC is huge Boston is tiny, you have to work out ways to fit everything in here much differently than in NY. Everybody bitching about how NYC is doing this or that so much better or complaining about the height of our towers can......pack up your shit and take a 3.5 hr drive to NYC and start a new life there. Boston is Boston and if you want it to be NYC you may as well move because your not going to be happy here. All of this shit you want already exists in NY so just move there. Boston is.....wait for it....Boston, its its own city that does not have to always try to be somewhere else.
How long did you work in the Menino administration?

Sorry my phone camera is screwed up but I tried the best I could do. There were tons of people at the fan pier park hanging out, taking pictures, talking. It really came out very nice. There were a bunch of old boats in the water, the city lights, its a great spot. I don't understand the hate of the neighborhood its probably the easiest place in Boston to navigate, its coming together nicely, and there are tons of people here.

Everywhere I went had lots of people out and about and the vertex all glass tower had like an outdoor temporary upscale bar randomly under the overhamg outside the lobby with probably 100 people in the area drinking having a good time. The lawn on D must have also had a beer festival going on because there was easily 1000 people there drinking hanging out and having a great time. The seaport is doing very well and its 1/4 built at this time. Looking great so far.

Please stop using this forum as a place to have personal arguments. No one wants to check in on ArchBoston just to see that your personal insults have been added to while actual discussions and news have not transpired.

Stick - thanks for the report and I enjoy hearing your point of view.

There is an agenda here. I do not trust this group: Jim Canales, president of the Barr Foundation in Boston: He is clearly puppet for these billionaires.

Seaport is already built out. YES........You missed the opportunity--They are trying to stop Harbor Garage from going up....

i didn't see your post.

That's right; every few weeks, the Globe releases a story about how we're destroying the waterfront, how city planners continue to cave to evil developers – and how Boston's soul and essence will soon be lost forever.

Whether it's over-development in *DTX, Back Bay, the Fenway - or the waterfront, (The Globe) is clearly acting as provocateur for the Barr Foundation, North End Waterfront, Aquarium, Harbor Towers residents, West End, Friend's of the Public Garden, and shills such as Kathleen Ryan, Shirley Kressel, and Greg Galer.

The message appears aimed at Boston's dwindling minority of nimby activists not to give up the fight; but to keep pushing the narrative of an outraged public for a purpose. The overall message seems to be part of an organized campaign against Don Chiofaro and his quest to sink the Harbor Garage and build an iconic 600' highrise.

i almost miss the good ol' days when people marginalized our rats meet the sea zone/s – instead of inventing straw men seeking to destroy a fictitious pristine harbor... it's not Marblehead, Newport (RI), La Jolla Cove or Dana Point. It was never that great. The idea that the Seaport should have been built on a much smaller scale is as unrealistic as it is misguided.

Stay small in the North End, East Boston and Charlestown.

*(IT'S THE CENTER OF DOWNTOWN STUPID: WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BUILD SKYSCRAPERS HERE).

Back