Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Agreed I was down there last evening and it was the busiest area in the city. Oh yea and what do you know they built the bike path here the way that people have been calling for them to be built forever. Using the parked cars as a barrier from moving traffic. They had a blank slate here and they really used it to their advantage to get everything right.

Agreed I was down there last evening and it was the busiest area in the city. Oh yea and what do you know they built the bike path here the way that people have been calling for them to be built forever. Using the parked cars as a barrier from moving traffic. They had a blank slate here and they really used it to their advantage to get everything right.

Is that sarcasm? They installed retrofit parking protected bike lanes when they had a clean slate that could have led to a world class cycle track. The Summer St project just a few blocks over is an example of how huge of a missed opportunity Seaport Blvd is for biking, especially when the developers would have built the entire thing for us when rebuilding the street.

Fantastic photos

Is that sarcasm? They installed retrofit parking protected bike lanes when they had a clean slate that could have led to a world class cycle track. The Summer St project just a few blocks over is an example of how huge of a missed opportunity Seaport Blvd is for biking, especially when the developers would have built the entire thing for us when rebuilding the street.

Yea it could have been perfect, my point was Boston likes to just throw them next to the traffic row. Here its protected. Theres not a huge difference from this to a cycle track compared to what goes up basically everywhere else.

Can't people just be happy that there are protected bike lanes in the first place?

Can't people just be happy that there are protected bike lanes in the first place?

Agreed! There's never any bikes on them anyway, maybe this will improve over time but seems like a waste of space right now.

Well, both can be true. Those bike lanes look very narrow... I don’t know how protected I’ll feel on them. For a brand new extremely wide road, I’m certainly not settling for calling this a huge win...

It doesn't matter. Ubers and delivery trucks are pulling over right in the lane and you have to stop or go around them. Frustrating but they don't care. What are you going to ring you little bell at them to move?

Well, both can be true. Those bike lanes look very narrow... I don’t know how protected I’ll feel on them. For a brand new extremely wide road, I’m certainly not settling for calling this a huge win...

Completely agree with this comment and the one below it to. To truly encourage biking as the primary mode of transportation in the city (which Boston desperately needs to do both from an efficiency and climate perspective) the lanes need to be fully protected from traffic. To those that are complaining that they don't see many bikers using them - don't you think that more people (of all ages) would use them if they truly felt "protected" on them? Would you determine the demand for a bridge by how many people are swimming across the river? Of course not.

All of the parking spaces along Seaport Blvd. should be removed and replaced with a dedicated bus-only lane (continuing over the bridge and going north on Atlantic Ave to North Station) and a protected bike lane. The city's transportation infrastructure is completely backwards in that it provides more street space to single occupant vehicles (the majority of the cars on the road) than to pedestrians/protected bike lanes/dedicated bus lanes, and nowhere is the negative impact of that type of planning highlighted more than in the Seaport. Imagine how many more people we could move in/out of the Seaport if it had a dedicated bus lane connecting to North Station and a protected bike lane connecting to other protected bike lanes downtown.

Pretty sure there is a dedicated bus lane — Silver Line.

Pretty sure there is a dedicated bus lane — Silver Line.

Yes, and that bus lane helps get people to/from South Station. It provides no relief to traffic moving north.

Silver Line to Chelsea is north and connects to Blue Line. South station connects to the transit network.

Silver Line to Chelsea is north and connects to Blue Line. South station connects to the transit network.

But neither of those connections is useful to get a person to North Station to catch a north side commuter rail with an kind of reliability.

Both are two transfers, three lines to get to North Station, which dramatically increases the odds of missing a commuter rail connection.

We need a pop up bus lane on Congress St from NS to the seaport garage, weekdays 4am to 8pm.

Not sure if there is a separate thread for Parcel L4 the new Amazon building but construction is starting on Monday.

I haven't been down there in probably about a year. These latest pictures are unrecognizable to me.

(In a good way)

Globe feature (cue the before & after sliders)

365 days of Seaport
Boston’s youngest neighborhood has come of age.

http://sponsored.bostonglobe.com/wsdevelopment/seaport/365-days-of-seaport/

BY MARIYA GREELEY | November 27, 2018

What makes up a Boston neighborhood’s distinct character? Architecture is part of the equation: Uniform brick feels historic and stately, while a majority-glass setting feels modern and sleek. Nature plays a role too: Well-manicured parks or a faint ocean scent can bring serenity to an otherwise busy metropolis. But, more than anything, it’s the community—the people who live in a place and how they interact with each other—that defines each neighborhood.

Seaport, Boston’s youngest neighborhood, is just beginning to develop this kind of lasting character and community. As young and established professionals, boutiques, and restaurants settle into its modern apartments and storefronts along the water, Seaport is growing into a civic-minded neighborhood where contemporary living has a creative bent.

At the third annual Light Up Seaport event, on Friday, November 30, locals will come together on Seaport Common to celebrate the holiday season and the neighborhood’s budding community. Live performances of holiday tunes will be the soundtrack for the evening’s tree lighting and festivities. Treats from Seaport restaurants will be the fuel.

contd

Back