Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: South Boston Seaport

^^ As long as there's a Panera for the lunch crowd.

I thnk a CVS or two would fit in well. :rolleyes:

Clearly they're just complying with Boston City Planning Directive #318BR4, which stipulates the need for one familiar local chain every 130 feet.

I heard city officials from as far as Kyoto and Kampala are thinking of implementing a similar directive, and are in town to study how the city achieved the singularly improbable concentration of DD's around Downtown Crossing.

More -- DD ?as it has the Hometown Preference

It started down on the old SE Expressway back in the days whence HJ28 meant ice-cream {HJ started down that-a-way as well} and DD?s HQ is down there somewhere these days

Westy

DD's near DTX
Pi Ally
Milk St (near PO Sq)
Summer St (In the Macy's Building)
Summer St (across from 101 Summer St)
Tremont St (across from the Common)
(I think I'm missing a few)

CVS near DTX
Washington St (Chinatown)
Washington St (Jewelers Building)
Washington St (Pi Ally)
Milk St (Across from PO Sq)
Summer St
Tremont St (Across from the Common)
Tremont St (Government Center)

Not only are there seven CVS stores, there are no competing drugstores.

I just remember leaving work one day to get some iced coffee and taking a ten minute walk around the area - passing five more Dunkin Donuts in the process.

Boston is like that Simpson's episode when Bart goes to buy something in the mall and has to hurry because every store is being converted into a Starbucks.

I suggest {somewhat in jest} and all New England Mall

We could have DD, CVS {Woonsocket RI}, Staples, Legals, Au Bon Pain, Toscanni's {if they pay-off-the-back-taxes}, Bertucci, and a few more

Westy

Don't forget Ocean State Job Lot.

Herrell's, Ben & Jerry's (Vermont), LL Bean, Yankee Candle, Building #19, Christmas Tree Shops

Hell, even UNO [Chicago Grill] is a Boston based franchise. It's based on a restaurant in Chicago (near the aptly named DOS restaurant) but the corporate is in Boston. Also, Newbury Comics, Reebok, Bass, Converse (although, isn't that Nike now?), and I'm sure there are more.

Has anyone else noticed a few gantry-type cranes--no, not the ones over at Conley--along the waterfront directly in front of the new Renissiance hotel (I am pretty sure I spelled that incorrectly)? I was walking from the Seaport Hotel/BCEC to South Station Friday afternoon and in looking in that direction, noticed these.

They did not appear to be mobile cranes nor tower cranes typically used in building construction. Rather, they appeared to be similar to barge cranes. I was a bit behind schedule trying to catch a train and did not have the chance to head over there to get a better look . . .

Technically (literal), I have no idea what they are doing at the base of the Renaissance, but it would appear as if they are almost done. The sidewalk is still blocked off, but I would guess not for much longer. The only other going on in that direction is the pulling up of the pegs(?) that Jimmy's used to sit on (page 30). They just started work over there this past week.

Thanx AC. I suppose the cranes I saw could be in use to remove the pilings that the restaurant was on.

I'll be flying in/out of Logan twice this week and will try and take a closer look.

So, someone sent me a comment saying I was an ass. I think the comment was partially because I wrote something like, "Ms Li's reputation precedes her," which I meant as a criticism.

But, looking through all the threads in this forum, there doesn't seem to be anyone who who has made a legitimate complaint about her.

So, what's the beef? What has she done ever that was seen as a negative?

I'm serous. I don't know the background.

I for one am glad to have someone advocating for better access to the waterfront. I have to laugh at the way she has been demonized on this forum. She's our own Bin Laden. Wether you agree with her about height or not she has done more to make Boston better than anyone on this forum. At the most only Ron & Jimbo, and maybe a few i'm not aware of, have worked to improve the city.

While I think the view of Harbor Towers from the water is my favorite view of Boston, better than even the Hancock, I do not want to see anymore high rises on the water's edge. I also look forward to tall buildings at the Aquarium Garage.

Too many people on this forum are obsessed with building height for the sake of height. Just as too many nimby's want to lower proposed buildings for the sake of lowering them(power and nothing more), regardless of what works best at a particular location.

I think most of the peopled who push for height everywhere have never really visited Boston. Going to Fenway, the Garden/Fleet or Quincy Market is not exploring Boston.

I have to laugh at the way she has been demonized on this forum. She's our own Bin Laden.

Um, are you arguing that Bin Laden is a scapegoat who's been unfairly demonized?

The problem I have with Vivian Li is she is very powerful yet has never been elected to any office. The Boston Harbor Association is actually a trade group with a few token citizens and environmentalists on its board. They do important things but they also wield god-like power.

I think Vivian Li is probably a dedicated well meaning person who cares about the future of Boston, but my impression is that her emphasis on open space access is not necessary always aligned with good urban design. Boston's Waterfront is probably better off because of her efforts but it could be so much better. Often private uses result in much more public use and exposure to urban spaces compared to specifically designed so called public open spaces. It often seems that Vivian advocates for open space just for the sake of open space (open spaces or parks = improvement).

Of course to qualify to be appointed Executive Director of the Boston Harbor assoc. she must have spent many-a days of her youth at Malibu or Carson Beach and trolled Nix's Mate for bass and blues.

Unlikely, you say?

Back