Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: South Boston Seaport

Based on some of the plans I've seen... there should be an integrated theater in our near future in the SBW. Maybe a little different than Loews, but I like what I've seen.

I can hear Ron squealing like a little girl from here.

By any measure, the project linked below looks great, proposed by a developer with a stellar history in the Fort Point neighborhood.

http://t.co/mHywY8H4

But read carefully.

This project signals a turn in the BRA's Seaport District / Waterfront / Innovation District planning, and this turn is quite troubling.

The BRA is considering short-term "executive stay" units with 90-day leases as residential housing units, and including these numbers to suggest that the agency is actively fulfilling housing goals for the Seaport.

Apartments at executive stay hotels are now, for the first time, being considered as housing units.

I've mentioned before that real residential development is, IMHO, critical to the Seaport's success, and that the BRA's publicly stated position regarding Seaport residential goals and its actual position on the ground during approvals has existed on two parallel tracks.

Folks may remember a recent proposal for development of a residential condo on Summer Street, just after Fort Point toward the Convention Center -- a perfect location for residential use. The BRA prohibited a change from hotel to residential. The site remains vacant.

Sicilian, you keep making this point about residential, and I find it convincing. But I'm still not sure what their motivation is for steamrolling or minimizing residential development?

Sicilian, you keep making this point about residential, and I find it convincing. But I'm still not sure what their motivation is for steamrolling or minimizing residential development?

I'd like to know their motivation also, because I agree with Sicilian that this is very troubling. On the surface, it's actually quite stupid, and there better be a damn good explanation. Otherwise it is simply urban planning malpractice.

I don't know the exact motivation.

One motivation is that residential has never been as lucrative as commercial on the Seaport, so mandated residential (through a Mayoral Executive Order) never sat well with property owners and the business community -- despite zoning changes for new density that were enacted to make residential development more palatable.

What I can say is that over the years I've had many discussions with lower level planners at the BRA and they always encouraged me to continue in my advocacy for residential use. Everyone is well aware of the opposition from many quarters.

I can say for sure there is political opposition. In the past it came from South Boston elected leaders trying to calm the rapid gentrification of Southie. I think there was fear of a major demographic shift on the Waterfront.

My gut tells me that Boston development is 99% based on the market, and 1% based on other factors including urban planning. Most projects shift in the breeze from office to condo to rental apartment to office. Notices of Project Change are filed after years of meetings, quickly switching a land use to conform to whatever the current market supports.

The sad thing is that significant variances have been awarded that should have had teeth to ensure a great mix of uses. But those variances were approved, and many of the property owners use them to raise the land value and sell the rights to a new owner. Then they leave Boston with significant profit having developed nothing.

None of the above applies to Berkeley, the developer of my post. Berkeley has forged forward and built an empire on Congress Street that the neighborhood absolutely loves. They are taking huge risks with their properties. I can't say more for them.

EDIT: Minor edit for clarity.

That's hot.

My two concerns are that the plan doesn't incorporate the industrial uses of the area and just puts residential everywhere. There are a lot of places out there that will still be needed for either cargo shipping or light industry (something connected to bioresearch, green energy, or whatever).

Also, I get the idea about canals but if, say, a hurricane roars up the East Coast then what is going to happen? Will the canals work to hold the water or will they contribute to flooding?

I realize this plan is just a pipe dream but if we want to get anywhere we need to be a little realistic.

Edit: Do they actually mention uses at all or do they just propose that whatever is built out there conform to certain sustainable standards? This isn't clear and maybe my first point is moot (though, it is still a concern).

I think the plan is to use the Silver Line tunnel for flood control. For transit, they replace the bus-based subway with grade level rail.

Over-the-top crap plan, IMO. I see so much green that it doesn't even look urban anymore, requiring all of those light rail lines, which will cost a lot to put in and maintain. It really just looks like something that a bunch of landscape architects came up with on their own.

Elevated bike rail? Really? This is taking stuff that is good and then adding so much pizzazz that it completely destroys it.

Innovation District

I'm proposing a new thread to discuss the concept of Boston's "Innovation District."

The City of Boston has done a terrific amount of PR, including social media (Twitter, website, personal relationships and liasions) to coalesce a group of companies primarily in the tech / pharma sector, now hosting networking events, etc. in the district. The buzz is good, and increasing.

I'm suggesting here that beyond PR, there is really no significant Innnovation District planning under way which might revisit the South Boston Waterfront to actually build a sustainable and modern "Innovation District" far more attractive than Cambridge or other cities worldwide offer.

In its efforts to date, the Boston Redevelopment Authority has:

1. Directed the vast majority of "innovation economy" startups to relatively cheap leases in Fort Point wharf buildings.

Problem #1: Available Fort Point wharf building space is finite.
Problem #2: Prices are increasing in Fort Point, perhaps beyond what "innovation economy" startups will deem affordable. This experience was already borne out by the arts community in Fort Point.
Problem #3: I'm not sure, but I doubt startups would be interested in leasing the type of office space planned for Fan Pier, Seaport Square, Pier IV, Fort Point 100 Acres.

2. Directed "innovation economy" startups to subsidized (free) leases on Fan Pier.

Problem: Subsidies are unsustainable.

3. Mandated the creation of "Innovation Units" (e.g. small units <500 square feet) in recently approved residential projects.

Problem: There are fewer than 40 of these units in the pipeline for completion over the next 2 years. Does this matter, if perhaps hundreds or thousands more can be completed in 3-10 years?

4. Approved completion of a handful of "Executive Stay" units for visiting employees.

Problem: None recognized. It seems these types of units are in demand by startups. Or maybe they are for successful "Innovation Economy" companies (Vertex).

5. Announced the construction of a 12,000 sf Boston Innovation Center, possibly including meeting rooms and a cafe.

Problem#1: The Boston Innovation Center seems like a jewel box on the Seaport, with no large-scale support in abutting properties. Will this attract startups if the surrounding space is all Class A office space?
Problem #2: Location is remote relative to most of the startups in the district.

SUMMARY

Is it possible to get a jump on an Innovation District in a way which would increase the odds of a positive outcome?

Should the City of Boston consider pulling approvals for any land on the South Boston Waterfront and/or Fort Point that remains vacant 3+ years after approvals, and starting over with a zoning plan that recognizes the actual needs of an "Innovation District?"

What are the needs of startups invited to an Innovation District and how do we get these things off the ground?

Re: Innovation District

Nice analysis.

Your points 3, 4 and 5 are about the built environment - to these I would add public transportation, for which the Silver Line bus will not cut it. The Seaport really needs light rail tied in with the rest of the system. This, I believe, would be the single largest improvement which could drive new life and vitality to the area. I would also, in a similar vein, add that the city needs to be more free with new liquor licenses and lobby the state very aggressively to overturn the happy hour prohibition. These things do make a difference!

Your points 1 and 2 are around money and incentives, to which I would add that we need to focus on capital as well. The Atlantic recently ran an article about the startup field in NYC (surpassed Boston as #2 in the last few years, actually) and where they tend to congregate. The area of choice seems to be Midtown South - largely because A) Easy access to the major and minor VCs, B) lower rents, C) heavy concentration of bars and restaurants. But I would take proximity to VC firms as the kicker here. Where are Boston's VC firms located? Kendall? Financial District? If more VCs could be lured to the South Station area, or even to the Seaport itself, I think the ecosystem tree could grow a very solid trunk.

Advocacy for light rail should begin NOW! if it isn't already a topic under way for financing at State level.

On the liquor license thing, I don't see that as a huge issue in the ID's built environment -- at least for now. Consider that Fort Point has a rapidly increasing number of bars and package stores for a high concentration of office space and some residents. Lucky's. Drink. Papagayo. Channel Cafe. Blue Wave (reportedly closing, new bar/restaurant in the works) Sagarinos (package store). Seaport Hardware (package store). A new bar is rumoured under way on Farnsworth.

Also, the BRA's IDBoston twitter site has been promoting speakeasy-type networking events throughout Fort Point where beer and wine are served, no permitting required.

The idea of attracting VC's is terrific. But I have no idea what they look for. I suppose it's about location, location, location and not price. Or maybe they follow the startups to places where space is affordable?

The BRA regularly suggests that a number of buildings downtown including Atlantic Wharf and Dewey Square (notably an online jewelry retailer at One Financial Center) are within the Innovation District.

1tD2P.png

The link in today's Tweet above is actually referring to the interior design of the BSA's new space at Atlantic Wharf.

Do the borders of the Innovation District as shown on the BRA website matter at all, or are borders completely superfluous to the discussion?

Is the BRA planning a "Bullshit District?" They'd better make sure it includes City Hall.

Nice analysis.

Your points 3, 4 and 5 are about the built environment - to these I would add public transportation, for which the Silver Line bus will not cut it. The Seaport really needs light rail tied in with the rest of the system. This, I believe, would be the single largest improvement which could drive new life and vitality to the area. I would also, in a similar vein, add that the city needs to be more free with new liquor licenses and lobby the state very aggressively to overturn the happy hour prohibition. These things do make a difference!

Agree 100%
The area needs a more efficient Transit throughout the entire innovation district. This is KEY and makes an area extremely attractive for working professionals...... I actually see more startups companies in the future heading back into Downtown area because of it's easy access for transit.

Seaport needs another major BLUECHIP to relocate in that area which would create more demand for housing then maybe the dominos begin to fall into place.

The beginning of the planning process for Seaport should have been a very efficient transit situation for the entire city. Naturally this is not the case.

I have mentioned this many times that the Silver Line is not the answer for an area that should have been the next major building boom for the city of Boston.

They never thought of building a Foundation to an area that could have had unlimited potential. Instead they will force whatever they can get in this area which will make missed opportunity for the Innovation District.

This is my opinion.

Greenway becomes the new Financial District of the city.
Downtown becomes the Startup Venture Capital & another educational part of the city
Backbay is the Grandfather part of the city
North Station will evolve into something.

Which leaves our beloved Innovation district into a city suburban office park.

That is how I see this playing out.

Last edited:

Has anyone ever heard "Innovation District" be used colloquially?

-- "Let's go check out the new Legals in the Innovation District!"
-- "You mean the Test Kitchen?"
-- "No, the newer new one! Innovation District is full of Legals, dudebro!"

I don't think it's going to catch on, not even to a small extend, in everyday speech.

Personally, I continue to refer to this area as the Seaport - from Fort Point Channel to the Marine Industrial Park. I think of Fort Point as a distinct area within the Seaport down the A Street corridor (although Fort Point technically crosses the channel I believe also?)

"Seaport" to me is irreplaceable. It has 1) Character, 2) History, 3) Is geographically determinate 4) Is descriptive without being constraining

^Shepard

As you state, Fort Point bounds are fairly well defined by BRA Seaport Plans, 100 Acre Plan, Landmark District designation etc. to be on the South Boston side of the Channel, largely containing the former Boston Wharf Co. buildings.

As for crossing the Channel...

Over 20 years, the only instances on the Boston Waterfront/Downtown side of the Channel I've heard referred as "Fort Point" are in:

1. Atlantic Wharf PR

2. Friends of Fort Point Channel PR (a non-profit subsidiary of the commercial Fort Point Abutters Group, with office in Atlantic Wharf) when promoting "Fort Point" events at Atlantic Wharf and along South Boston side of Channel.

3. Wikipedia's poorly written entry for Fort Point

For better or worse, until real estate agents start using the term "Innovation District" then it won't be considered a success, and I've never heard anyone use it, ever. (I'm not necessarily the best judge of this, since I hardly ever do real estate these days.)

I have seen Avenue of the Arts used once in awhile, but certainly not by anyone who lives or works there. As you say, it's a marketer's term.

I definitely think the city (Menino, Meade) love to expand its "boundaries" to fit whatever they are championing. Wait for the Filene's hole to get new life, it will be trumpeted as "at the gateway of the ID!"

Back