Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Developer John Hynes calls fear of gridlock in the Seaport District 'B-S'

“The talk about the Seaport District traffic is a lot of BS,” Hynes said. “As the (Seaport) district evolves into mostly residential and less commercial, it will reduce much of the commuting traffic flow into the area. Full real estate creates traffic at grade and on the street and the traffic management programs in place will get figured out. It’s not a big deal.”

The article also has this little gem:
“One of the strengths of the district is all the parks and amenities that were part of the planning. Without them, Seaport would just be another section of the city with lots of streets but no life.”

Hilarious!

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...es-says-the-fear-of-gridlock-in.html?page=all

To me it's not the amount of parks that's silly but rather the fact that they are themselves megablocks. Seems to me like the seaport is being planned in Simcity Classic where all buildings, parks and amenities are plopped down as 3x3 tile blocks. Actually, I think Simcity Classic did in fact offer more variety and nuance than the BRA has in its Seaport planning toolbox.

Is he talking about those lively parks with the dividers running up and down them so that people can't actually use the park?

To me it's not the amount of parks that's silly but rather the fact that they are themselves megablocks. Seems to me like the seaport is being planned in Simcity Classic where all buildings, parks and amenities are plopped down as 3x3 tile blocks. Actually, I think Simcity Classic did in fact offer more variety and nuance than the BRA has in its Seaport planning toolbox.

I like this. +1

Nothing unique or accessible to this area. It has cost the taxpayers a shitload of money to help these developers build this garbage.

Boston is going to be cleaning up after Menino for a long time.

A city councilor is warning the Boston Redevelopment Authority to stop granting sweetheart deals to cronies of former Mayor Thomas M. Menino for prime Boston Marine Industrial Park parcels in the booming Seaport District, demanding instead that all future deals be done through a transparent, public bidding process.

“Under the Menino administration, the Park has become a private club where a select group of people were allowed to cherry-pick sites like it was a hunting preserve.
This has resulted in missed opportunities, or worse, property that was just given away,” Councilor Michael Flaherty told the Herald yesterday, a day after he threatened to drag BRA officials into hearings if they didn’t end the practice.

At a BRA budget hearing Tuesday before the Council, Flaherty grilled Larry Mammoli, a BRA deputy director who oversees economic development at the Marine Industrial Park, about “friends of the former mayor” and former BRA em*ployees getting parcels by “direct designation,” meaning the city-owned sites were awarded to developers without any requests for proposals.

Parcel%20K-%20ARROWSTREET-Northern%20Avenue.jpg

Parcel K. a 247-room boutique hotel (left) and a 304-unit apartment building (right) that will include micro units, averaging 400 square feet

Globe article:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/05/...s-from-city/RAGdcvw3rdEXLNkDkbZ5MO/story.html

Awesome! Another big lot bites the dust. I was down at Seaport last night for the ICA party on the harbor. Cores rising all around us. It really is becoming beautiful at night. Even the green emergency exit signs on each floor of the Vertex complex reflecting through the glass has a big city feel you get nowhere else in town.

Excuse any pic overlap from the individual project threads but with the rate of change around here being so fast I wanted to put together a little photo essay on the area.

14238532223_54d5854e63_b.jpg

14031678159_97d0b12a23_b.jpg

14218138164_186e8e200f_b.jpg

14195156366_f23d7e6137_b.jpg

14195098246_bf8dd439f1_b.jpg

Most flattering picture of Waterside Place.

Most flattering picture of Waterside Place.

I was thinking the same thing. From far away in blazing sunlight to wash out the stains, its... okay.

I've said it from the beginning, I like the massing a lot. The facade is just garbage.

I do like the way the seaport has extended our skyline

Got a pretty general question, don't know exactly how this can be quantified... But how does the length of Boston's skyline compare to other comparable cities? I feel like, as the skyline extends into the Seaport, along the high spine, and (future) all the way to Gov'nt Center and TD Garden, the city just gets longer and longer. Thoughts?

It's like urban ExtenZe...

Seriously I don't know.. I feel like we're still relatively compact. Similar sized cities all have some high-rise clusters 5-15 miles outside their downtown core; Bellevue in WA, Galleria area of Houston, Buckhead in Atlanta. Our biggest cluster outside Boston proper, would be Kendall Square.

It all really depends on how the skylines are viewed, Boston from the North shore looks compact and small, from east Boston see the pic above^ from the Blue hills u can see from Longwood to the seaport etc other cities are viewed the same way

Perspective is the key. Manhatten viewed from the southern tip makes the entire island look compact.

14093091077_ab02b308d4_b.jpg

14279595895_cd81b041dc_b.jpg

Last edited:

Anyone looking for a shot that might prove that the Federal Reserve is taller than One Financial, these might do the trick.

Back