Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Holy crap, after reading these rants about how the Seaport sucks, I'm like, what? Asshole tourists, jerks from the burbs, Bostonians who don't know any better, taking Uber's, causing traffic jams, using up parking spaces and eating at overpriced, suck-assed restaurants! Yee gads, and they're even spending loads of money on top of it thinking they're having a grand time! And I won't even get into the new buildings (I do hate Park Lane). ;-) Am I just the lone voice on here that, when I get a chance to walk around over there, to have a drink at one of the places in Fort Point or to grab a beer at Whiskey Priest, or even to take Uber (damn yes, Uber over a taxi anyday) over to Legal Harborside, I actually love the vibe of the whole area!

No, you are not alone.

I'm surprised there aren't food truck in the Seaport parking lots at lunch time. We had several in the proto-Seaport (aka Kendall Square) parking lots way back when I worked in 3 Cambridge Center in the late 90s. Or would that be too trendy for all these well-heeled innovation workers and convention-goers?

I'm still frustrated by the lack of a coherent pedestrian experience in the Seaport. The randomness of the sidewalk materials, absence of bike racks, the rarity of benches, trash cans or recycling bins... It's been like this for over a decade, and the promise of how nice it will be at full build-out doesn't make up for the present autocentric malaise.

Holy crap, after reading these rants about how the Seaport sucks, I'm like, what? Asshole tourists, jerks from the burbs, Bostonians who don't know any better, taking Uber's, causing traffic jams, using up parking spaces and eating at overpriced, suck-assed restaurants! Yee gads, and they're even spending loads of money on top of it thinking they're having a grand time! And I won't even get into the new buildings (I do hate Park Lane). ;-) Am I just the lone voice on here that, when I get a chance to walk around over there, to have a drink at one of the places in Fort Point or to grab a beer at Whiskey Priest, or even to take Uber (damn yes, Uber over a taxi anyday) over to Legal Harborside, I actually love the vibe of the whole area!

LOL, however in all fairness JeffDowntown said uber black car. The douche bags are taking the uber black cars to Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House while the "real" people who always remember to say thank you when someone holds the door open for them or to call their mother on their birthday are taking uber x to Fort Point ;-)

LOL, however in all fairness JeffDowntown said uber black car. The douche bags are taking the uber black cars to Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House while the "real" people who always remember to say thank you when someone holds the door open for them or to call their mother on their birthday are taking uber x to Fort Point ;-)

I think Uber is a smart service, and good for the urban environment. But I was astounded by the sheer concentration of Uber Black Cars in the Seaport on several weekday evenings. Not Uber X, the Black Cars and SUV Limos.

Uber Black Car concentrations usually means that a lot of people are taking limo service in and out of that area on a scheduled service basis (and the Ubers are hanging out between the suburban runs). So that was my basis for projecting who is going to the big box expense account restaurants in the Seaport.

BvKW3eXIAAEZoY7.jpg:large

BvKW3tkIUAAeOlJ.jpg:large

BvKjdawIMAAIzGg.jpg:large

30 inch water main near 142 Northern Ave. (old Pier Four) Water shut off. Construction workers evacuated from sites. Electrical power shut off.

https://twitter.com/BostonFire/

^ Hmm, I can't seem to find the info anywhere but I wonder how old the pipe is.

14750275759_592f5053a6_b.jpg

14750262209_d8585a0069_b.jpg

14750358837_5f154c0411_b.jpg

Theres no reason that light rail cannot be run here.

As others have stated, ft point is better, but I'm still not crazy about that area either. Food is expensivvvvve other there. When looking at Boston's neighborhoods for restaurants the seaport/ft point is one of the few places where you just can't find a great meal on a small budget. The north end Chinatown, Allston/brighton, JP, dot, southie, Roxbury, westie, etc all have great cheap restaurants if you look for em. Even downtown and back bay have some places that are good deals, not the seaport though, I know I've looked many times when looking for a place to take dates. I've been to Yankee lobster and thought it was just OK, and harpoon's beer hall is amazing and I really enjoy it but its not cheap.

I think I felt the same way atlantaden does early on in the build up of the seaport but if you spend enough time there it really loses its magic. I'm hoping with the continued build up new restaurants will fill in the gap.

I been gone for a couple years, but The No Name is still very much affordable correct? I hope so.

I know it's not romantic dining, but it's consistently good food, and I defy anyone to find me a better cut of swordfish for as good a price. (Please tell me if it exists, because I love swordfish.)

I've been to Yankee lobster and thought it was just OK

This is the wrongest thing ever posted to this board.

i KNOW. hOW THE HELL YOU GONNA HAVE A PERSONAL OPINION ON HERE?
As a person who doesn't care for or about lobster. I am more than ok with it.

As a person who doesn't care for or about lobster. I am more than ok with it.

Lack of lobster is clearly having a negative impact on your period usage.

The north end Chinatown, Allston/brighton, JP, dot, southie, Roxbury, westie, etc all have great cheap restaurants if you look for em. Even downtown and back bay have some places that are good deals, not the seaport though.

I think the difference is how old the neighborhood is. The seaport as a neighborhood didn't really exist until recently. All of those other places have restaurants that have been there for years and years and don't have ti sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into building new space or renting space in a new building. You can't spend that kind of money then open up an affordable restaurant.

Rant, short and sweet:

Seaport Blvd between Sleeper and B street is the most infuriatingly wasteful road in the city. That median strip should be given a copy of Walkable City, then taken into a delightfully urban alleyway and shot.

Rant, short and sweet:

Seaport Blvd between Sleeper and B street is the most infuriatingly wasteful road in the city. That median strip should be given a copy of Walkable City, then taken into a delightfully urban alleyway and shot.

You have to remember the state of the area when it was built. It is a little disappointing that as private money flows into the area and steel goes up, the City isn't leading the way by pedestrianizing the road, but that might actually have something to do with construction traffic. You don't want to put in all the planters and trees and have them ruined by dump trucks and flying gravel.

Rant, short and sweet:

Might be my favorite thing anyone has ever posted on this board ever.

I remember reading that too many people who drive to the Seaport all try to use Seaport Blvd to get to I-93 in the evening. (Based on my observations, this is definitely true.) There is another entrance at Congress St and B St which people are not using. I presume it's because they are going to I-93 North and it seems counterintuitive to go a little bit South on surface streets first. There was one day where I drove to the Seaport and left around 6:30 pm to go to I-93 North. The traffic backup on Seaport Blvd was almost all the way to the ICA. So I went over to the ramp at Congress St and B St and there was literally zero traffic there. I was shocked (and very happy!)

5 projects in one shot!

14994065121_de461e1255_b.jpg

Back