Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

LMAO, those are stairs that people can sit upon - - c'mon folks. Ahhh, yes, the "seating areas" :)

And let's see the vistas when those trees bloom........ It is what it is - - - restricting the open vista. As with the new City Hall plaza and Copley Square/Trinity Church and now this, Boston is designing chopped up, compartmentalized spaces these days.

Why the column of trees? It closes off the space in the middle. You don't see that on the Harborwalk. On the Harborwalk, trees are on one side, but your eye is drawn to the water and the skyline. There is a sense of PLACE, not the sense of isolation that will be increased once those barren young trees grow and bloom. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Flew up for the holidays last night (Friday) stopped off to see the Holiday Market, friends from Ft Lauderdale loved it as did we with the festive lights, many many booths, crowds of people! Such a success, IMHO!
IMG_2947.jpeg
IMG_2949.jpeg
IMG_2951.jpeg
IMG_2952.jpeg
IMG_2955.jpeg
IMG_2956.jpeg
IMG_2962.jpeg

Flew up for the holidays last night (Friday) stopped off to see the Holiday Market, friends from Ft Lauderdale loved it as did we with the festive lights, many many booths, crowds of people! Such a success, IMHO!
View attachment 45939View attachment 45940View attachment 45941View attachment 45942View attachment 45943View attachment 45944View attachment 45945
it is a massive success, and when that plot gets developed, there won't be anywhere in the city that could host this as well (maaaayybeee on the Common).

I'm worried about what this development and the elimination of this space is going to do to the street life of the Seaport. I know we don't do eminent domain for this type of stuff these days (there aren't enough people who would make money off it), but this would be a wonderful spot for a genuine European-style grand plaza.

when that plot gets developed, there won't be anywhere in the city that could host this as well (maaaayybeee on the Common).
Why not Government Center? I feel like there was something similar to snowport (albeit much smaller) about 6/7 years ago. Admittedly, I haven't been down to GC plaza in a while, so maybe it's changed, but that always seemed like a good location.

Why not Government Center? I feel like there was something similar to snowport (albeit much smaller) about 6/7 years ago. Admittedly, I haven't been down to GC plaza in a while, so maybe it's changed, but that always seemed like a good location.
you're right, there was a winter thing at GC with kiosks selling nick-nacks, a beer garden (or was the whole area booze-friendly? i went and can't recall), and a small skating area and i think some outdoor games -- bocci ball, cornhole, maybe curling?

i didn't love it, but figured it continued to happen each winter. i guess not?

it is a massive success, and when that plot gets developed, there won't be anywhere in the city that could host this as well (maaaayybeee on the Common).

I'm worried about what this development and the elimination of this space is going to do to the street life of the Seaport. I know we don't do eminent domain for this type of stuff these days (there aren't enough people who would make money off it), but this would be a wonderful spot for a genuine European-style grand plaza.
You really think there's nowhere else in the city that could host a winter market?! I think when the construction dust settles on SeaPAC and WTC by next Christmas, the Seaport alone will have the Harbor Way pedestrian mall/park and WTC food hall courtyard/harborwalk reopening that could eventually evolve into new activated spaces for winter market festivities. Copley Square's redevelopment is currently underway and will similarly be able to host winter markets if desired. Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Charles River Esplanade, Christopher Columbus Park, Rose Kennedy Greenway, Dewey Square, Christian Science Center, the entrances/parking lots at the MFA... with the right event organizer, there are numerous other venues where this event could successfully be replicated... dare I say even simultaneously.

you're right, there was a winter thing at GC with kiosks selling nick-nacks, a beer garden (or was the whole area booze-friendly? i went and can't recall), and a small skating area and i think some outdoor games -- bocci ball, cornhole, maybe curling?

i didn't love it, but figured it continued to happen each winter. i guess not?

Like above, Government Center Plaza was under renovation for several years. With its completion in 2023, it's also only a matter of time before the City of Boston begins to program additional winter market festivities here as well.

Like above, Government Center Plaza was under renovation for several years. With its completion in 2023, it's also only a matter of time before the City of Boston begins to program additional winter market festivities here as well.

First Night main festivities are being moved from Copley Square to City Hall Plaza this year. It should be interesting to see.

Speaking of Winter/Holiday markets. We have SnowPort in the Seaport which is awesome, we have the Power Station Building at SOWA in the South End, and we have Time Out Market in Fenway. Those are the ones I know about. I'm heading to SnowPort this weekend. The image below is from the Holiday Market at SOWA Power Station.

1703782506732.jpeg

I wonder how heavily this has to be subsidized? Can it run trough the winter instead of wrapping up with the holidays?

Snowport is free and run by forward thinking individuals who bring in a purposely diverse group of vendors. City Hall Plaza could have all those things, but it would take more serious leaders than those who run our typical markets and a different subsidization scheme (I think the major Seaport dev(s), eg WS, sponsor Snowport).

Speaking of Winter/Holiday markets. We have SnowPort in the Seaport which is awesome, we have the Power Station Building at SOWA in the South End, and we have Time Out Market in Fenway. Those are the ones I know about. I'm heading to SnowPort this weekend. The image below is from the Holiday Market at SOWA Power Station.
I was disappointed to see the SOWA winter market had its last day December 17th and didnt run thru Christmas. Big swing and miss for me as I wanted to last minute shop there. The $10 entrance fee was a bit of a mental hurdle to get over but shopping in a less crowded, less insane and temperature controlled environment was appealing for sure.

Ive been to Snowport the last 3 years for differing reasons, its not really my cup of tea to begin with but its really jumped the shark for me and I'd like to never go again if I can help it

I thought SnowPort was great this year - much improved from the last time I went. I don't see why it cannot remain in the Seaport after the current site is developed. The expanded Seaport Common that is being created by abandoning the building proposal on the site adjacent to the existing park would be an ideal location. The expanded park would provide plenty of space for additional amenities making SnowPort even better (e.g., a skating rink). I would hope that consideration is given to using the park for SnowPort and other similar types of uses in designing the expanded park. Extending the SnowPort theme all along Harbor Way would make the experience even better. This year there is a curling area, but the area has the potential for so much more.

......Ive been to Snowport the last 3 years for differing reasons, its not really my cup of tea to begin with but its really jumped the shark for me and I'd like to never go again if I can help it

Care to share with us why?

I took my visiting parents to see the steps and then Snowport when they were here for the holidays. They greatly enjoyed both. The only critique I have, which will be fixed, is that right now, the steps don't feed in to a completed promenade. It's a timing issue, but once the entire path between Congress St. and Northern Ave. is open, the entire pedestrian experience will be great. As for accommodating future pop-up markets, I seen no reason why the promenade itself, combined with the Waterfront Park, can't serve that purpose admirably.

Back