Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Agree - the design of 88 Seaport looks dramatically changed. Instead of 2 separate pieces (top and bottom), it now looks like they just inflect the windows a bit between the two.

That effectively kills off the garden / open area that was previously intended for the top floor of the bottom 'piece' of the building.

Also looks like some serious value engineering going on in the facade/windows of both the top and bottom pieces, separate from the middle gash.

My opinion was only that trading a 2 story retail podium for more park space was a fair trade. I didnt say anything about losing residential units or adding lab space.
By itself, I 100% agree, but this is a re-trade and the City loses big time.

FWIW, I’m pretty sure the design of 88 Seaport has changed. It’s quite similar with the diagonal feature, but it appears they shrunk the gap considerably where now the building looks more like it’s crunched together rather than cut out.

[Edit] Here are some screen shots for comparison:

Old design:

View attachment 24321

NPC design:

View attachment 24324

Fair enough. Looks more like they pulled the fully expected move of getting rid of the outdoor trees and enclosing those areas in glass.

Parcel G looks massive in these, possibly just due to perspective, and as nice as it looks, I'm really not sure if treating it with a more traditional facade is the move here. It'd be better served hosting something that compliments Parcel D and the ICA, as risky as telling an architect to use an almost-all glass facade is. But you can do it well, and I somewhat trust WS to follow through on doing a well-designed glass building. I'm envisioning a nice Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners project sitting along that park, but one can dream.

Brick and arches aren't close by, until you hit Fort Point/Parcels N & P, which are out of sight here. What's immediately close by is a (hopefully still) really dynamic and metallic-textured facade by OMA, a smooth glass wall on the Goodwin building, the bold form of the ICA, the calculated yet subtle and balanced design of 101 Seaport, and the round 121 Seaport with a clean-cut glass chamfer for its lobby. With the exception of the Goodwin Building, that's really not the worst set of buildings to be situated around for a nice contemporary and forward-looking design.

I also wouldn't read too heavily into the Parcel D. It may have changed, but it may just be a placeholder used by their masterplan architect.

Parcel G looks massive in these, possibly just due to perspective, and as nice as it looks, I'm really not sure if treating it with a more traditional facade is the move here. It'd be better served hosting something that compliments Parcel D and the ICA, as risky as telling an architect to use an almost-all glass facade is. But you can do it well, and I somewhat trust WS to follow through on doing a well-designed glass building. I'm envisioning a nice Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners project sitting along that park, but one can dream.

Brick and arches aren't close by, until you hit Fort Point/Parcels N & P, which are out of sight here. What's immediately close by is a (hopefully still) really dynamic and metallic-textured facade by OMA, a smooth glass wall on the Goodwin building, the bold form of the ICA, the calculated yet subtle and balanced design of 101 Seaport, and the round 121 Seaport with a clean-cut glass chamfer for its lobby. With the exception of the Goodwin Building, that's really not the worst set of buildings to be situated around for a nice contemporary and forward-looking design.

I also wouldn't read too heavily into the Parcel D. It may have changed, but it may just be a placeholder used by their masterplan architect.
Couldn't agree more on Parcel G, not to mention, coming from the east on Seaport Blvd, you'll see the St. Regis right before this comes in to view.

And I really hope you're right on parcel D!!

Fair enough, but I think that very presence is what makes this feel like a city and not a sculpture garden.

Now that theyve added more park space Im kinda hoping they keep going and keep one harbor shore drive as just an underground garage. Iinstead of building a tower on top extend the fan pier park eastward. I know it would be a loss of money for a now severely overbuilt garage, but more money has been blown on much worse. It would be like a post office sq on the sea.

6DF9758F-262A-4A09-8886-56DBE810DAE4.jpeg

This open park space towards the harbor is going to look a lot less appealing if they block half of this view with a luxury condo tower imo.

Now that theyve added more park space Im kinda hoping they keep going and keep one harbor shore drive as just an underground garage. Iinstead of building a tower on top extend the fan pier park eastward. I know it would be a loss of money for a now severely overbuilt garage, but more money has been blown on much worse. It would be like a post office sq on the sea.

View attachment 24332

This open park space towards the harbor is going to look a lot less appealing if they block half of this view with a luxury condo tower imo.
I agree, but unfortunately this is going to break ground at the end of the year.

I agree, but unfortunately this is going to break ground at the end of the year.

Parcel D is moving forward per WS in recent press; is One Harbor Shore/Parcel H? Unless I've missed some news it's been pretty silent since 2016...

View attachment 24332

Different developer.

I haven't seen anything that shows what is going to be built on Parcel D. Does anyone have a recent rendering?

Back