Shipyard Brewery | Cambria Suites | 86 Newbury Street | Covetrus | 12 Mountfort Street | Portland

How do you mean?
Just, one that's that densely packed, a relatively narrow street with 5+ story buildings lining both sides. Start at Federal and drive down and it feels like nothing else in town.

Just, one that's that densely packed, a relatively narrow street with 5+ story buildings lining both sides. Start at Federal and drive down and it feels like nothing else in town.

Gotcha, and agreed.

That, plus the fact that nearly every single one of those buildings on the street has been built in the 21st century.

^ Which is why I have for years now referred to the area east of India Street as the New Port!

I'm finding the buildout of this site to be so curious. The upper floors of the hotel are apparently being built out on top of the pre-fab concrete blocks, from back to front. They haven't even started with foundations on the Newbury Street townhouses. Even if they start those this summer, we're probably still looking at summer or fall of 2022 before buildout is complete. We're talking about 4 years of construction at that point! (They began sitework in Sept or Oct of 2018).

Also, they've got much of the office building framework covered in a tarp-like material, and on a very windy day earlier this week I walked down to Moontide Park, and whenever the wind picked up it sounded like a jetliner taking off from the tarps flapping in the wind!

More bad iPhone pics from across the harbor at Bug Light Park

Foreside 1.jpg

Foreside 3.jpg

Foreside 4.jpg

There are few things I find more attractive than a construction crane hovering over the skyline! Can't wait to see the big one in place for 200 Federal Street.

From this vantage point, the skyline in this area is really stretching out, from the new 6 story condo building to the left of the new Marriott, then the Marriot, WEX, Covetrus, WEX addition building, and Sun Life. It will be a lot more impressive at night coming into the docks, that's for sure.

This article in MaineBiz says the entire development will be done by the end of the year, but they don't specifically mention the townhouses on Newbury Street. It's hard for me to believe they'll be completed by year's end since work on them doesn't appear to have begun. The land they'll be situated on is covered in construction equipment and building supplies.

but they don't specifically mention the townhouses on Newbury Street

They do in the bullets under the "Covetrus/Shipyard project on track" heading - but I do agree with your doubts.

I guess I meant in the paragraph below the bullet points they give expected dates for completion of the various pieces, but not for the townhouses.

Given the number of typos in the article, I'm guessing it was put together hastily and some info is missing/misleading. There is no way those townhouses are completed this year with the rest of the project.

Nice to see the structural steel finally being installed on floors 4 through 6 on the Hancock Street side. The Empire State Building was completed in only 13 and a half months!

Last edited:
That power pole at the corner is gorgeous! It will look terrific in the reflection of all of that glass!
If you think that one's nice go look at the 3rd or 4th pole up from that - the one that has a healthy lean to it and now has a dead bird hanging from the top.

Back